Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ca Lottery - shame on them

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
Sunny California
United States
Member #63790
August 8, 2008
220 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2012, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Did anyone see the Ca Lottery release a photo of a gentleman that won a $52 million dollar Mega Millions jackpot about a month ago? They are trying to locate the person because he hasn't come forward yet.

I could see if it was coming down to the wire after 11 months and trying to get the word out but not when it was a month ago. What if he was trying to lay as low as possible and get everything straight before coming forward? I think they put his life in danger.

In Ca he still has to release his name but thats all. What if someone recognizes him now and knows he hasn't cashed it yet and tries to cause him harm to get his ticket?

Seems wrong to me.

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
    California
    United States
    Member #69399
    January 9, 2009
    380 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2012, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I agree. It turns out the guy really didn't know he had won the lottery but the Lottery Commision didn't know that. I guess from now on I will be wearing big sunglasses and a scarf when I buy my lottery tickets because I know it will take some time for me to get myself organized and if the LC published my picture like that I would be fuming.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
      NY
      United States
      Member #121961
      January 21, 2012
      3159 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2012, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Read the story. Strange he scanned the ticket several times but never asked the clerk to check the ticket. Scary to think he almost threw that away.

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
        Sunny California
        United States
        Member #63790
        August 8, 2008
        220 Posts
        Posted: September 1, 2012, 3:28 am - IP Logged

You're right Redstang, the 1st article I read was very brief and just said he checked it at multiple grocery stores which to me would mean that he knew he won. Someone doesn't continue to check a ticket if they know it's a loser. The 2nd article I read states that someone he knew said they saw his picture on the news and called him and he didn't realize until that time that he had won.

I'm still confused though how he said despite his follow up checks at the stores he never realized he had won.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2012, 6:00 am - IP Logged

Did anyone see the Ca Lottery release a photo of a gentleman that won a $52 million dollar Mega Millions jackpot about a month ago? They are trying to locate the person because he hasn't come forward yet.

I could see if it was coming down to the wire after 11 months and trying to get the word out but not when it was a month ago. What if he was trying to lay as low as possible and get everything straight before coming forward? I think they put his life in danger.

In Ca he still has to release his name but thats all. What if someone recognizes him now and knows he hasn't cashed it yet and tries to cause him harm to get his ticket?

Seems wrong to me.

That's ridiculous, I'd be p*ssed.

Uncalled for, no reason for it.

Somebody was looking to draw attention away from something else, betcha.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
            Nutley, New Jersey
            United States
            Member #131058
            August 1, 2012
            875 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2012, 11:08 am - IP Logged

His name is Bladimir Agnite. There is video of him and his wife on the internet at the lottery press conference. In California, attending the press conference is optional, so them choosing to go to the press conference most likely means he doesn't care about anonymity.

Nutley, New Jersey
              United States
              Member #131058
              August 1, 2012
              875 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2012, 11:40 am - IP Logged

You're right Redstang, the 1st article I read was very brief and just said he checked it at multiple grocery stores which to me would mean that he knew he won. Someone doesn't continue to check a ticket if they know it's a loser. The 2nd article I read states that someone he knew said they saw his picture on the news and called him and he didn't realize until that time that he had won.

I'm still confused though how he said despite his follow up checks at the stores he never realized he had won.

According to what he said at the press conference interview he didn't realize he had the jackpot winning ticket even after using a ticket scanner because all the machine said was, "see clerk." I guess he didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize the reason the machine told him to see the clerk was the ticket was very important.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19903 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2012, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

According to what he said at the press conference interview he didn't realize he had the jackpot winning ticket even after using a ticket scanner because all the machine said was, "see clerk." I guess he didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize the reason the machine told him to see the clerk was the ticket was very important.

He probably was trying to avoid seeing the clerk by scanning it himself. 

He had the option of just getting the winning numbers, checking them with the ones on his tickets and knowing he had won the jackpot could have gone straight to lottery headquarters.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Nutley, New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #131058
                  August 1, 2012
                  875 Posts
                  Posted: September 1, 2012, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

He probably was trying to avoid seeing the clerk by scanning it himself. 

He had the option of just getting the winning numbers, checking them with the ones on his tickets and knowing he had won the jackpot could have gone straight to lottery headquarters.

Google, "Bladimir Agnite" to watch the interview. He didn't realize the ticket scanner telling him to see the clerk meant he won the jackpot. He didn't even decide to check the lottery website until a relative called and said the lottery was looking for him. I'd post links but I think I'm going to end up getting banned.