Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Passive mugging

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RedStang.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2012, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Have you ever or even someone you know let a winning ticket get out of your hands and into a dishonest clerks? I honestly can say I never have...and I Always always always check my own tickets first...online, with my phone app....even before my internet was up and running I would call the state lottery line and check my numbers....scratch-offs are harder you just got to know how to read it and be sure before you hand it over to a clerk....Here's a tip...if they say its a losing ticket tell them to give it back so u can enter it in the second chance drawing, if theres no second chance drawing tell them you save them for your accountant at tax time you can claim your losses...make sure we are checking and double checking our tickets folks...if your ever fortunate to win a large amount or even a bill paying amount you'd b just sick to know your just handed to someone not knowing...it a form of theft I like to call passive mugging...

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1648 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2012, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

While it is the clerk's responsibility to conduct their business professionally and honestly, when it comes to money, any of them can quickly spot an easy customer to bump. In my opinion, it's more the player's responsibility to understand all the details, full and well, regarding the games they play. To buy scratch-off and not be able to properly interpret whether they have a winner of any amount or not, is a very poor financial act to me. That may sound harsh but, when I spend my money on something like this, I'm gonna know ON MY OWN if I'm a loser or winner...no scanners, no clerks telling me one thing while the machine beeps, and clearly indicates a winner to an "unsavvy to the sound" player.

When you walk in to cash a ticket, you TELL THE CLERK how much you've won...NOT ASK THEM. When you demonstrate to them that you know what you're talking about, and are confident, they will never try any funny business. Pretty cut and dry.

L.L.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2012, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

While it is the clerk's responsibility to conduct their business professionally and honestly, when it comes to money, any of them can quickly spot an easy customer to bump. In my opinion, it's more the player's responsibility to understand all the details, full and well, regarding the games they play. To buy scratch-off and not be able to properly interpret whether they have a winner of any amount or not, is a very poor financial act to me. That may sound harsh but, when I spend my money on something like this, I'm gonna know ON MY OWN if I'm a loser or winner...no scanners, no clerks telling me one thing while the machine beeps, and clearly indicates a winner to an "unsavvy to the sound" player.

When you walk in to cash a ticket, you TELL THE CLERK how much you've won...NOT ASK THEM. When you demonstrate to them that you know what you're talking about, and are confident, they will never try any funny business. Pretty cut and dry.

L.L.

Great advice L.L

Confidence trumps perceived stupidity any day.  Jack-in-the-Box

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2012, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I believe I was "Passively Mugged" yesterday while dining at McDonald's.

The waitress was very rude, and robbed me of an enjoyable restaurant experience.   Chair

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
          Winning makes me smile.
          bel air maryland
          United States
          Member #90251
          April 24, 2010
          4855 Posts
          Posted: September 2, 2012, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Even if you fill out play slips, you should always check your tickets. The winner may not be a number you wanted to play,

but if you made a mistake filling out the slip you may have a winner and not realize it. It's happened to me.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2012, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Have you ever or even someone you know let a winning ticket get out of your hands and into a dishonest clerks? I honestly can say I never have...and I Always always always check my own tickets first...online, with my phone app....even before my internet was up and running I would call the state lottery line and check my numbers....scratch-offs are harder you just got to know how to read it and be sure before you hand it over to a clerk....Here's a tip...if they say its a losing ticket tell them to give it back so u can enter it in the second chance drawing, if theres no second chance drawing tell them you save them for your accountant at tax time you can claim your losses...make sure we are checking and double checking our tickets folks...if your ever fortunate to win a large amount or even a bill paying amount you'd b just sick to know your just handed to someone not knowing...it a form of theft I like to call passive mugging...

One thing i don't like about NC lotto is theres no bar code on front of the scratchers or a customer scanner  so you can check your own tickets. The few times i cashed in there was a line behind me because they had to enter the 4 numbers.