Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ticket mistake...what would happen?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
Wisconsin
United States
Member #58835
February 27, 2008
148 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2012, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

So, the other night, my husband and I stop off to get our tickets (after a funeral, no less).

Anyway, I plopped down my $5 and told the clerk I needed 2 PB and 1 MM.  He gave me the tickets and went $6 please.  (2 PB and 2 MM). I literally had a $5 bill only and told him all I had was $5.  He said don't worry about it, my mistake, I'll pay for it.  I went to the car, digging around for change so I could pay for it with no such luck

Question.....what would happen if that extra line was actually the winner?  Would I have to split the winnings with the clerk?  I always planned on claiming the winnings under a trust, so I don't think the clerk would ever know it was ME who won.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3850 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2012, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

So, the other night, my husband and I stop off to get our tickets (after a funeral, no less).

Anyway, I plopped down my $5 and told the clerk I needed 2 PB and 1 MM.  He gave me the tickets and went $6 please.  (2 PB and 2 MM). I literally had a $5 bill only and told him all I had was $5.  He said don't worry about it, my mistake, I'll pay for it.  I went to the car, digging around for change so I could pay for it with no such luck

Question.....what would happen if that extra line was actually the winner?  Would I have to split the winnings with the clerk?  I always planned on claiming the winnings under a trust, so I don't think the clerk would ever know it was ME who won.

were they QPs ? if so they were spit our by an RNG how do you know which is the xtra one ?

no change in the car ? you're already a winner, you live in a place w/out toll roads.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
      Delco PA
      United States
      Member #80104
      September 16, 2009
      194 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2012, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Wow, the clerk gave you a free ticket? unheard of.  If the tix won, I personally would give the clerk enough to retire ( depending on jackpot amount).  75 mil after taxes, plenty enough to live on. I can spare $5 mil to give. good luck!

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #58835
        February 27, 2008
        148 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2012, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

No, no change.  We were literally in the middle of nowhere and the gas station didn't even have an ATM. Yes they were qp

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2012, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

You are under no obligation to share anything. The clerk was kind hearted enough to pay the dollar, and he did so without any expectations.

If that ticket was a winner, you could choose to surprise him with a very generous bonus, or share the jackpot equally, or give him nothing at all.

Sounds like your wrestling with your conscience. No one can make such a decision for you.

The only person that can help you with this scenario, is looking at you in the mirror.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

You would only have to do what you thought was right.  If he would dumb enough pay the extra dollar for your ticket, that's his problem.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2012, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

He also had the option of keeping the MM ticket with the extra line, reprinting you a new $1 MM ticket, and then try to sell the $2 MM ticket to someone else.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2012, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Yeah if you believe that...then I have a bridge to sell you....We live in a litigious society people sue over anything...you have to PROVE everything...no we didn't have an agreement, yes he bought the ticket but didn't expect to be paid in case of win...etc. etc. I mean if a woman can sue a department store because she tripped and fell over a child and was hurt she said the store was responsible because they had no sign or policy in place to tell parents to monitor and control their children...she won and guess what....the kid she fell over was her own...Viva America!!!

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                  Winning makes me smile.
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  4852 Posts
                  Posted: September 7, 2012, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

He also had the option of keeping the MM ticket with the extra line, reprinting you a new $1 MM ticket, and then try to sell the $2 MM ticket to someone else.

Just imagine how the clerk and you would feel, if he would sell the $2MM ticket to someone else, and then that ticket is the winner. You both had it and gave it away.  Scared

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2012, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I would've gone back and given him the dollar and just wrote it off to buying another mistake ticket.

I would have made note of the time I handed him the dollar and made sure we were on camera too.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: September 7, 2012, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Why would you "have to" share after he admitted his mistake and gave you the ticket??

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7295 Posts
                        Posted: September 7, 2012, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

"I always planned on claiming the winnings under a trust, so I don't think the clerk would ever know it was ME who won."

Claiming under a trust fund won't prevent the clerk from knowing that store sold the winning ticket. If you do win, the clerk will check the surveillance tapes and know exactly who you are. Sounds like the clerk was just being nice and you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: September 8, 2012, 12:03 am - IP Logged

yeah well i can see why  clerks dont like the lotto. mistakes and you can be working for 0$ an hour quite quickly.

i dont think id take a clerks money, if i could help it. they seem to be paid pretty crap. and selling lotto seems a dangerous chore.

also i am of the  "take the mistakes  " breeed of person. so if im hoping they are little sparkles of lady luck smiling i should pay.

although in your posistion not having  any extra id take his money. maybe when you see him next,  hand over the extra and mention a thank you.

**maybe fill out slips so no mistakes**

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7295 Posts
                            Posted: September 8, 2012, 12:11 am - IP Logged

I would've gone back and given him the dollar and just wrote it off to buying another mistake ticket.

I would have made note of the time I handed him the dollar and made sure we were on camera too.

If I won ten grand or more, I'd go back and give him a nice tip and if not I'd probably pay it forward.

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #132455
                              September 4, 2012
                              483 Posts
                              Posted: September 8, 2012, 8:04 am - IP Logged

If that ticket won, it would be great enough act to share your winnings with the clerk.  Certainly, lottery winners are not obliged to share their winnings, with some great fortune and luck, they are encourage to share and give back so as to receive more blessings.