Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

pick3

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dr san.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
bgonçalves
Brasil
Member #92564
June 9, 2010
2122 Posts
Posted: September 11, 2012, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Hello, help excel in the next split into 3 groups the digits 0-9
Low (b) mean (m)  tall (a)
 0,1,2    3,4,5,6     7,8,9
  How permutaloes are possible without repetition?
Bma
Mma ...... should take about 30 permutations, someone help
  Example of pick3 = 478 maa
How many permutations are possible, should give about 30 permutations

United States
    Member #130795
    July 25, 2012
    80 Posts
    Posted: September 11, 2012, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Bma

I can never quite understand you.  In part, it is due to your difficulty with English.  Too bad I don't speak Portuguese (or whatever your native language is).  But in part, I suspect you are using terms which have special meaning to people who are more familiar with the so-called "systems" that are discussed in these forums.

In Excel, the number of __combinations__ (no repeats, and ignoring order) of 0 to 9 taken 3 at a time is computed with the formula =COMBIN(10,3).  That returns 120.

And the number of __permutations__ (no repeats, but order matters) of 0 to 9 taken 3 at a time is computed with the formula =PERMUT(10,3).  That returns 720 because each "combination" of 3 can be ordered 6 different ways.

In order to generate all 120 combinations or 720 permutations, I would write an algorithm using VBA.  I can provide implementations.   But it is unclear to me that those are the algorithms that you want.

Obviously, neither count is close to the 30 that you expect.  I don't know if you are talking about something else, or if your expectations are simply completely wrong.

I don't know what you mean by "bma", "mma" and "maa".  I don't know what you mean by your example, to wit:  "478 maa".

I don't know what you mean by "help excel in the next".  Presumably "help __with__ Excel".  But what does "in the next" mean in that context?

Considering your difficulty with communicating clearly in English (and my inability to communicate in Portuguese), it would help if you gave __complete__ examples of your expectations.

For example, instead of simply "478 maa", which is cryptic to me (again, perhaps because I don't understand the terminology that this forum is using), it would help __me__ if you provided the complete 30(?) "permutations" (combinations?) that you expect.  Or at least some representative number of __concrete__ "permutations" using the numbers 0 to 9 that make your expectations clear; not some cryptic non-numeric representation.

bgonçalves
      Brasil
      Member #92564
      June 9, 2010
      2122 Posts
      Posted: September 11, 2012, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

I can never quite understand you.  In part, it is due to your difficulty with English.  Too bad I don't speak Portuguese (or whatever your native language is).  But in part, I suspect you are using terms which have special meaning to people who are more familiar with the so-called "systems" that are discussed in these forums.

In Excel, the number of __combinations__ (no repeats, and ignoring order) of 0 to 9 taken 3 at a time is computed with the formula =COMBIN(10,3).  That returns 120.

And the number of __permutations__ (no repeats, but order matters) of 0 to 9 taken 3 at a time is computed with the formula =PERMUT(10,3).  That returns 720 because each "combination" of 3 can be ordered 6 different ways.

In order to generate all 120 combinations or 720 permutations, I would write an algorithm using VBA.  I can provide implementations.   But it is unclear to me that those are the algorithms that you want.

Obviously, neither count is close to the 30 that you expect.  I don't know if you are talking about something else, or if your expectations are simply completely wrong.

I don't know what you mean by "bma", "mma" and "maa".  I don't know what you mean by your example, to wit:  "478 maa".

I don't know what you mean by "help excel in the next".  Presumably "help __with__ Excel".  But what does "in the next" mean in that context?

Considering your difficulty with communicating clearly in English (and my inability to communicate in Portuguese), it would help if you gave __complete__ examples of your expectations.

For example, instead of simply "478 maa", which is cryptic to me (again, perhaps because I don't understand the terminology that this forum is using), it would help __me__ if you provided the complete 30(?) "permutations" (combinations?) that you expect.  Or at least some representative number of __concrete__ "permutations" using the numbers 0 to 9 that make your expectations clear; not some cryptic non-numeric representation.

hello mathheard  It is for a pick3 Lotto that draws one ball from numbers 0-9, replaces it, draws another, replaces it and draws one final ball.
      The code splits the numbers 0-9 for each group of A,B & C into three groups for low, medium and high numbers.

1.    --A--- --B--- --C--- ---D---
      2.    1     H     L     M     Total
      3.    2     3/10   3/10   4/10 1   
      4.    3                             
      5.    4   Ball1 Ball2 Ball3   Prob
      6.    5     L     L     L      2.7%
      7.    6     L     L     M       3.6%
      8.    7     L     L     H       2.7%
      9.    8     L     M     L       3.6%
      10.    9     L     M     M       4.8%
      11.  10     L     M     H       3.6%
      12.  11     L     H     L       2.7%
      13.  12     L     H     M      3.6%
      14.  13     L     H     H       2.7%
      15.  14     M     L     L       3.6%
      16.  15     M     L     M       4.8%
      17.  16     M     L     H       3.6%
      18.  17     M     M     L       4.8%
      19.  18     M     M     M       6.4%
      20.  19     M     M     H       4.8%
      21.  20     M     H     L       3.6%
      22.  21     M     H     M       4.8%
      23.  22     M     H     H       3.6%
      24.  23     H     L     L       2.7%
      25.  24     H     L     M       3.6%
      26.  25     H     L     H       2.7%
      27.  26     H     M     L       3.6%
      28.  27     H     M     M       4.8%
      29.  28     H     M     H       3.6%
      30.  29     H     H     L       2.7%
      31.  30     H     H     M       3.6%
      32.  31     H     H     H       2.7%
      33.  32                             
      34.  33                 Total   100.0%
        bgonçalves
        Brasil
        Member #92564
        June 9, 2010
        2122 Posts
        Posted: September 11, 2012, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

hello mathheard  It is for a pick3 Lotto that draws one ball from numbers 0-9, replaces it, draws another, replaces it and draws one final ball.
        The code splits the numbers 0-9 for each group of A,B & C into three groups for low, medium and high numbers.

4.    3                             
        33.  32                             

Hello, mathheard, changed course in the previous post the letters representing the three groups
          Must have a system that low of 120 to 30 to 27 (reduction) is these permutations without repetitions I need, ie patterns are more or less likely to come out in the draws, so we have set the standard of 3 letters, the digits are or not in,
        Objective and see patterns reduced to three groups each number,

bgonçalves
          Brasil
          Member #92564
          June 9, 2010
          2122 Posts
          Posted: September 11, 2012, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Hello, mathheard, changed course in the previous post the letters representing the three groups
            Must have a system that low of 120 to 30 to 27 (reduction) is these permutations without repetitions I need, ie patterns are more or less likely to come out in the draws, so we have set the standard of 3 letters, the digits are or not in,
          Objective and see patterns reduced to three groups each number,

Hello example florida 951 = turning into letters (standards) = MLH
             Converting 951 in MLH (groups) last post, the advantage and can see patterns in vertical positions in the list of sweepstakes, this list of letters you can see the hot, medium and cold and late (groups of letters) then just convert the digits of each group

bgonçalves
            Brasil
            Member #92564
            June 9, 2010
            2122 Posts
            Posted: September 11, 2012, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Hello example florida 951 = turning into letters (standards) = MLH
               Converting 951 in MLH (groups) last post, the advantage and can see patterns in vertical positions in the list of sweepstakes, this list of letters you can see the hot, medium and cold and late (groups of letters) then just convert the digits of each group

Hello, mathheard these permutations 27-30, covering 100% in any lottery?
              So the advantage is that you can see the default font for position, eg
              If the 1st position of the prediction for pick 3 L (naming the last post)
              Then we have the 1st position 3,4,5, because the groups were divided so H (0,1,2) L (3,4,5)
            M (6,7,8,9)

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
              New Mexico
              United States
              Member #86099
              January 29, 2010
              11117 Posts
              Posted: September 11, 2012, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Bma

So you want a complete list for each group? It looks to me that you want permutations for a mixture of your groups medium,tall, tall.

etc.

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

United States
                Member #130795
                July 25, 2012
                80 Posts
                Posted: September 11, 2012, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

4.    3                             
                33.  32                             

With this and your follow-up postings, you did a job of clarifying what you are doing.  Unfortunately, there is still one very important detail that is unclear to me.

Your original question was how to do some things in Excel.  So at this point, I would like to refer you to an uploaded Excel file that might clarify my comments below.  But I am still just a "new member", and the draconian rules of this forum do not permit me to post a URL or even an email address to contact me directly.

I will do my best to represent the Excel solutions here.  Alternatively, Google "Microsoft Answers" and post your Excel questions there.  We should not discuss lottery strategies there.  But at least I would be able to point you to Excel files and demonstrate Excel usage graphically.

Summarizing your several postings, "dr san" wrote:

``The code splits the numbers 0-9 [...] into three groups for low, medium and high numbers.

4     Ball1 Ball2 Ball3   Prob
                5     L       L       L         2.7%
                6     L       L       M        3.6%
                7     L       L       H        2.7%
                [....]
                29   H      H       L         2.7%
                30   H      H       M        3.6%
                31   H      H       H        2.7%
                [....]
                Then we have the 1st position 3,4,5, because the groups were divided so H (0,1,2) L (3,4,5) M (6,7,8,9)
                [....]
                these permutations 27-30, covering 100% in any lottery?``

It is unclear to me how you determined those probabilities.  It is unclear whether you simply counted wrong; or if understanding your computations might give us some insight into the answer to the point that is still unclear to me (below).

For the L L L case, is there only one combination (3 4 5), ignoring order; or are there six combinations, namely all permutations of 3 4 5?

To be clear, there are only 27 permutations (with replacement) of the LMH categories.  Why do you keep saying 30?!  (Rhetorical question.)

And those 27 categories would cover all 720 Pick3 permutations (without replacement) only if L L L covers all permutations of 3 4 5, and likewise for the other categories.

Suppose "ball1", "ball2" and "ball3" are in columns A, B and C starting in row 1.

If L L L represents all six permutations of 3 4 5, the number of Pick3 combinations for each category can be computed by the following formula in D1 and copied down through D27:

=PERMUT(3,COUNTIF(A1:C1,"L"))*PERMUT(3,COUNTIF(A1:C1,"H"))*PERMUT(4,COUNTIF(A1:C1,"M"))

In that case, SUM(D1:D27) is indeed 720.  But the number of Pick3 combinations represented by L L L is 6; so the probability is 6/720, which is about 0.83%.

On the other hand, if L L L represents just one combination (3 4 5), the number Pick3 combinations for each category is computed by the following formula in F1 and copied down through F27:

=COMBIN(3,COUNTIF(A1:C1,"L"))*COMBIN(3,COUNTIF(A1:C1,"H"))*COMBIN(4,COUNTIF(A1:C1,"M"))

In that case, SUM(F1:F27) is 456(!).  And the probability of L L L is 1/456, which is about 0.22%.

Note that SUM(F1:F27) is 456, not 120.  This is because if we only consider __combinations__ in each category, your methodology is a __mix__ of combinations and permutations.  For example, L L M and M L L are simply permutations of each other.

For that reason, the latter case does not make sense to do, IMHO.

The following macro generates a table similar to yours with all the permutations in each category.  The total represents all 720 Pick3 permutations without replacement (i.e. no repeats).

-----

Option Explicit

Sub genPermut()
                Dim v(1 To 27, 1 To 3 + 2 + 36) As Variant
                Dim b1 As Variant, b2 As Variant, b3 As Variant
                Dim n1 As Variant, n2 As Variant, n3 As Variant
                Dim n1Array As Variant, n2Array As Variant, n3Array As Variant
                Dim r As Long, c As Long, totl As Long, i As Long
                ActiveSheet.Cells.Clear
                r = 0: totl = 0
                For Each b1 In Array("L", "M", "H")
                    n1Array = IIf(b1 = "H", Array(0, 1, 2), _
                        IIf(b1 = "L", Array(3, 4, 5), Array(6, 7, 8, 9)))
                    For Each b2 In Array("L", "M", "H")
                        n2Array = IIf(b2 = "H", Array(0, 1, 2), _
                            IIf(b2 = "L", Array(3, 4, 5), Array(6, 7, 8, 9)))
                        For Each b3 In Array("L", "M", "H")
                            n3Array = IIf(b3 = "H", Array(0, 1, 2), _
                                IIf(b3 = "L", Array(3, 4, 5), Array(6, 7, 8, 9)))
                            r = r + 1
                            v(r, 1) = b1: v(r, 2) = b2: v(r, 3) = b3
                            ' skip 2 columns for count in category and for probability 
                            c = 5
                            For Each n1 In n1Array
                                For Each n2 In n2Array
                                    For Each n3 In n3Array
                                        If n1 <> n2 And n1 <> n3 And n2 <> n3 Then
                                            c = c + 1
                                            v(r, c) = --(n1 & n2 & n3)
                                        End If
                            Next n3, n2, n1
                            v(r, 4) = c - 5          ' count in category
                            totl = totl + v(r, 4)
                Next b3, b2, b1
                For i = 1 To r
                    v(i, 5) = v(i, 4) / totl       ' probability
                Next
                Range("a1").Resize(r, UBound(v, 2)).Value = v
                Range("e1").Resize(r).NumberFormat = "0.00%"
                Range("f1").Resize(r, 36).NumberFormat = "000"
                End Sub

bgonçalves
                  Brasil
                  Member #92564
                  June 9, 2010
                  2122 Posts
                  Posted: September 12, 2012, 12:12 am - IP Logged

Hello math, fanstastico, very good job, good calculation of the probabilities of the 27 groups   It is where most combinations, the sample group (6,7,8,9) has combined with another probabidades more, because of the greater number of combinations, very good your macro, Now you can do so within the 27 groups see 10.20 in the 30 pairings (small intervals sweepstakes works best) then among the 27 groups the groups average hot and cold, and late, each of the vertical position, since the goal see patterns is that if the 1000 was in pick3 groups 27, 10 or 20 for example in the vertical position of the 1st View statistics on delays on 10 raffles, these patterns will work well for vertical position of each

United States
                    Member #130795
                    July 25, 2012
                    80 Posts
                    Posted: September 12, 2012, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Hello math, fanstastico, very good job, good calculation of the probabilities of the 27 groups   It is where most combinations, the sample group (6,7,8,9) has combined with another probabidades more, because of the greater number of combinations, very good your macro, Now you can do so within the 27 groups see 10.20 in the 30 pairings (small intervals sweepstakes works best) then among the 27 groups the groups average hot and cold, and late, each of the vertical position, since the goal see patterns is that if the 1000 was in pick3 groups 27, 10 or 20 for example in the vertical position of the 1st View statistics on delays on 10 raffles, these patterns will work well for vertical position of each

I would like to help, but I really cannot understand you.  What does "see 10.20 in the 30 pairings" mean?  What do you mean by "vertical position"?  And what "30 pairings" are you referring to?

Remember:  concrete examples breach the language barrier.

For Pick3 of the numbers 0 to 9, there are 45 pairings altogether -- COMBIN(10,2).

But I do notice that among the 27 LHM groups, 12 have more permutations than the others -- specifically 36 permutations.  Those 432 triads (12*36) comprise 60% of the total 720.

So perhaps your strategy is to focus on the 60% most common triads.

And I did discover that among the 432 triads, only 39 pairings are represented.  And there are 30 pairings that appear most often -- 36 times instead 24 times for the others.

They are:  06, 07, 08, 09, 16, 17, 18, 19, 26, 27, 28, 29, 36, 37, 38, 39, 46, 47, 48, 49, 56, 57, 58, 59, 67, 68, 69, 78, 79, 89.

But I don't know if that is the information you are looking for, and how you would know that.

And even if it is, you started by asking how to write something in "Excel" -- VBA -- to discover them.  Right?  Or do you just what the answer; and is that the answer you were looking for?

bgonçalves
                      Brasil
                      Member #92564
                      June 9, 2010
                      2122 Posts
                      Posted: September 12, 2012, 9:01 am - IP Logged

Hello, vertical 1 or 1st position 478 589 623 753 159 In pick3 have 3 or 3 vertical positions, when analyzing whether a vertical part of the last Raffle and rises, it needs to see paw patterns of letters, Mathh, one could also use the graph of the sums, qie is similar to the 3 groups,   For after crossing between the graphic and the sums of groups

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #86099
                        January 29, 2010
                        11117 Posts
                        Posted: September 12, 2012, 11:17 am - IP Logged

DR San may be refering to vertical positions as :

4 5 6

2 3 4

2 2 2  <<<<<< This would be the vertical difference or absolute value between the last draw example 456 and the previous 234 draw.  This is the way I use the vertical difference in some of my systems .  As far as the groups 20,30 etc., he may be grouping them in groups of ten.  I'm a little lost in translation myself.  The end result or usage is a mystery to me.

Coffee

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

bgonçalves
                          Brasil
                          Member #92564
                          June 9, 2010
                          2122 Posts
                          Posted: September 12, 2012, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

DR San may be refering to vertical positions as :

4 5 6

2 3 4

2 2 2  <<<<<< This would be the vertical difference or absolute value between the last draw example 456 and the previous 234 draw.  This is the way I use the vertical difference in some of my systems .  As far as the groups 20,30 etc., he may be grouping them in groups of ten.  I'm a little lost in translation myself.  The end result or usage is a mystery to me.

Coffee

Hello laker and mathh is easy vertical, eg =
                          1st position 422, is looking vertically each position, as to the range of 10 lottery draw, it seems best to analyze and groups in late 1000 or more
                            Example 10 in this sweepstakes late last group M LH understand, then you can
                            Cruising with graphic sums that have this forum with the chart of the 27 groups

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #86099
                            January 29, 2010
                            11117 Posts
                            Posted: September 12, 2012, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Hello laker and mathh is easy vertical, eg =
                            1st position 422, is looking vertically each position, as to the range of 10 lottery draw, it seems best to analyze and groups in late 1000 or more
                              Example 10 in this sweepstakes late last group M LH understand, then you can
                              Cruising with graphic sums that have this forum with the chart of the 27 groups

In Nm the p3 has repeat pairs that hits consistantly over  the last 10 draws.  So, 1000 draws and graphs would be not usefull.

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

bgonçalves
                              Brasil
                              Member #92564
                              June 9, 2010
                              2122 Posts
                              Posted: September 12, 2012, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

In Nm the p3 has repeat pairs that hits consistantly over  the last 10 draws.  So, 1000 draws and graphs would be not usefull.

Hello, laker this system is similar to the graph of the sums, you can take the digit or pair repeats and look for this group where the digit or pair repeats, understand!!