Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

99 cents to hear winning #s

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3854 Posts
Posted: October 4, 2012, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Why in the world would anyone make a 99 cents phone call when thats almost another ticket ?

The only way i would do it is if I already knew I won and wanted to hear the #s being stated to me,

of course then it be more then 99 cents, cause I would want to hear it over and over. LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: October 4, 2012, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Why in the world would anyone make a 99 cents phone call when thats almost another ticket ?

The only way i would do it is if I already knew I won and wanted to hear the #s being stated to me,

of course then it be more then 99 cents, cause I would want to hear it over and over. LOL

At first glance, I thought you were referring to a psychic hotline, but later concluded you're referring to the state's lottery hotline. This is used as the fourth verification for a person who won the lottery.

The lady in Rhode Island said they logged off the computer and logged back in to check the website and verify once again. In those instances, I think it's worth the 99 cents to hear it from another OFFICIAL SOURCE besides the website - lol.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2012, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps a homeless person who has no computer, newspaper subscription or access to their own phone.

They could panhandle for a few minutes, make the .99 cents, make the call, find out they won, then retire to the wino district.  Cheers

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
        rekjavik
        Iceland
        Member #99537
        October 27, 2010
        177 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2012, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Just call me I´ll only charge .50 centsROFL

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?Patriot

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19817 Posts
          Posted: October 4, 2012, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

That's the point, most people wouldn't.  But if the calls were free, the phone lines would be jammed after every drawing in spite of the same information being available on several websites.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3854 Posts
            Posted: October 4, 2012, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps a homeless person who has no computer, newspaper subscription or access to their own phone.

They could panhandle for a few minutes, make the .99 cents, make the call, find out they won, then retire to the wino district.  Cheers

Would'nt a homeless have many better uses for 99 cents ?

like getting a 99 cents wine and then head for the district ?

anyway I think you need a phone acct. to make the call

Cheers

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: October 4, 2012, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Would'nt a homeless have many better uses for 99 cents ?

like getting a 99 cents wine and then head for the district ?

anyway I think you need a phone acct. to make the call

Cheers

I was assuming a good Samaritan gave him/her a lottery ticket.

They then say to themselves WTF, might as well call to see if I'm a winner.

After winning, then the B-line for the district.   Cheers

I'm pretty sure many public phones still accept coins for toll calls.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10345 Posts
                Posted: October 4, 2012, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Illinois has an 800 number for in-state.

Smile

WGN-TV Chicago shows the drawings, but for those of us outside of Chicago, not always. On those night the number gets busier.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.