Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

To buy or not to buy. That is the question.

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Orlando, Fl
United States
Member #133554
October 3, 2012
41 Posts
Posted: October 8, 2012, 5:13 am - IP Logged

So I've been having really good luck on the new Platinum crosswords here in Florida. The crossword scratchers are one of me and my girlfriend's favorites and we've both hit $100 on it. We usually buy 3-4 at a time and seem to always get a great return. I was wonderining if it would be wise to buy a book of this $3 scratch off. All the top prizes are still remaining and the odds for winning $100+ are the best I've seen for a $3 scratch off. Any advice?

PA
    United States
    Member #129849
    June 29, 2012
    308 Posts
    Posted: October 8, 2012, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Honestly I think that is your call to make.

An "average" a book usually pays out about half of what you put in. So if you spend $300 on a book ( I have no idea how many tickets are in a $1, or $3, and so on book for your state), you can expect to get back about $150 dollars.

Of course some times people do much better and some times people do much worse. You could find a ticket worth $1,000 in there or a jackpot ticket or you may only have ten or twenty winners of less then $10 each. It's a gamble either way.

The way I usually look at it is, are you ok with losing half of your investment? In other words do you actually have the expendable money to be gambling with. If the answer is yes then go ahead. But be sure it's something you can afford to do.

Also know that hitting like you do is considered lucky, not something that should happen all the time. Don't be disappointed if you don't find any decent winners in that entire book. Being in flordia though, your tickets seem to be decent in paying out compared to here in PA.

Orlando, Fl
      United States
      Member #133554
      October 3, 2012
      41 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2012, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Honestly I think that is your call to make.

An "average" a book usually pays out about half of what you put in. So if you spend $300 on a book ( I have no idea how many tickets are in a $1, or $3, and so on book for your state), you can expect to get back about $150 dollars.

Of course some times people do much better and some times people do much worse. You could find a ticket worth $1,000 in there or a jackpot ticket or you may only have ten or twenty winners of less then $10 each. It's a gamble either way.

The way I usually look at it is, are you ok with losing half of your investment? In other words do you actually have the expendable money to be gambling with. If the answer is yes then go ahead. But be sure it's something you can afford to do.

Also know that hitting like you do is considered lucky, not something that should happen all the time. Don't be disappointed if you don't find any decent winners in that entire book. Being in flordia though, your tickets seem to be decent in paying out compared to here in PA.

Wow, thanks. That's a great way to look at it. I might split the cost/winnings with another person. I just wanna know the feeling of scratching a whole book wahahahah Red Devil I enjoy the doing the crosswords as well haha.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3157 Posts
        Posted: October 9, 2012, 10:42 am - IP Logged

How much for a book. I say go for it if you enjoy playing those.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2012, 10:45 am - IP Logged

If your ok with getting about half your money back for a chance to make a big score.... GO FOR IT......

Orlando, Fl
            United States
            Member #133554
            October 3, 2012
            41 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2012, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

A book has 100 $3 scratchers, so $300 total.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: October 9, 2012, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

A book has 100 $3 scratchers, so $300 total.

Just take a good look at the odds for the prize you want to win.........

I was going to buy a bunch of $20. tickets but changed my mind when I realized top prize was 1 in 240,000 and second prize is 1 in 120,000. 

Even if I buy 1000 tickets I'm still up against 1 in 120 odds just for second prize.

Have you ever tried to pick a winner in a horse race????