Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I think that this set a bad trend to post pictures of would be winners

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
Kunming
China
Member #57910
January 23, 2008
3626 Posts
Posted: November 1, 2012, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Is this what they are going start doing? I think it's an invasion of privacy and also dangerous

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_21904067/california-lottery-winner-23-million-jackpot-is-sought

Play to win!

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: November 1, 2012, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Catch 22. Good they want to find the winner but what if this lady has a warrant and never played. They probably should'nt do this.

Kunming
      China
      Member #57910
      January 23, 2008
      3626 Posts
      Posted: November 1, 2012, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Catch 22. Good they want to find the winner but what if this lady has a warrant and never played. They probably should'nt do this.

What if she wanted to wait until the last moment. That's her right.

Play to win!

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: November 1, 2012, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Is this what they are going start doing? I think it's an invasion of privacy and also dangerous

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_21904067/california-lottery-winner-23-million-jackpot-is-sought

How do you know they're definately going to win??? You said would be?

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
          California
          United States
          Member #69399
          January 9, 2009
          380 Posts
          Posted: November 1, 2012, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

I strongly disagreed when the the Lottery Commision did this a couple of months ago because the winner still had five months to turn in the ticket. It was too soon to put his picture out there. This time however, I can see why they are trying to locate her. It's been over five months and the odds are the winner is unaware that they bought the winning ticket and are running out of time to claim the money. Whoever it is has a month left before their ticket is worthless so her picture being shown may not be ideal but I'm sure she would rather have that than lose all those millions.

I wish the Lottery Commision would give winners a year to turn in their tickets instead of the 180 days that is the time limit now.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
            Nutley, New Jersey
            United States
            Member #131058
            August 1, 2012
            875 Posts
            Posted: November 1, 2012, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you to a certain extent. I wouldn't want my face plastered all over the newspaper either but in this case the person has less than a month left to claim the prize, if she doesn't get her butt to the lottery office soon, the ticket is worthless. She most likely has no idea she owns the winning ticket.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
              Member #133462
              September 30, 2012
              5946 Posts
              Posted: November 1, 2012, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

I think this is a part of it's revised strategic marketing. CA Lottery will do everything to see that winners get their prizes. I still think however, that players need to be more responsible with their tickets.

If a winner doesn't want to claim, donate the ticket to a charity like the nun did some time ago (even though she was one to claim it on the convent's beahalf).

Or contact the lottery office and let them know you are putting things on order.

If you plan to play, prepare to win!

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: November 1, 2012, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you to a certain extent. I wouldn't want my face plastered all over the newspaper either but in this case the person has less than a month left to claim the prize, if she doesn't get her butt to the lottery office soon, the ticket is worthless. She most likely has no idea she owns the winning ticket.

I Agree!

Kunming
                  China
                  Member #57910
                  January 23, 2008
                  3626 Posts
                  Posted: November 1, 2012, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Well, at least this has a happy ending but I still think it's a slippery slope.

Play to win!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: November 1, 2012, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

There's millions and millions lost like that every year.

What a waste.

She's lucky they found her.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                      Member #134627
                      November 2, 2012
                      1001 Posts
                      Posted: November 2, 2012, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

If person already has that winning ticket, she is not "would be winner", but winner. All depend on her having this ticket safe and presented to the lottery office. Sometimes people check their tickets, but on a wrong date, or even on a wrong game! Or they simply forget to check them, or, they have ticket for the game that plays every day, but they assume it plays twice a week, and check few days later on a wrong day. Sometimes while checking the ticket, people so much believe that they are not going to win, that their eyes do not see matching numbers ( it must be psychological), because their eyes just scan over, as if to avoid being upset, while their mind thinks "I am not going to win this time too", and so they miss numbers and this way "prove" their own statement of unwinability. That is why it makes sense to store all the old tickets and recheck them later on. I did and found couple of tickets where I missed matching numbers ( wins were tiny though).

I say, treat lottery ticket like a document, keep it in safe place in organized manner. You never know if  game results were misprinted. Do not trust clerks at the store to check your tickets. I was checking my ticket at the little electronic machine at the store that faces the customer, and still  clerk managed to interfere, she leaned over, looked at the machine and said that I won 10.00, but did not mention that there was also 1 free ticket. I had to loudly verify it.

United States
                        Member #134627
                        November 2, 2012
                        1001 Posts
                        Posted: November 2, 2012, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

Ladies, it makes sense to look good, like made up and such, when buying lottery tickets then, because if you win and forget about ticket, your face  might be shown on in newspaper or on TV!

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
                          California
                          United States
                          Member #69399
                          January 9, 2009
                          380 Posts
                          Posted: November 2, 2012, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Ladies, it makes sense to look good, like made up and such, when buying lottery tickets then, because if you win and forget about ticket, your face  might be shown on in newspaper or on TV!

Whenever I buy my lottery tickets, I wear big sunglasses and I don't look at the camera. That way the only one who will recognize me will be me!

Of course I always keep my lottery tickets in the same place and check them all at the end of the week. So there should be no reason for anyone to ever have to publish my picture anyway.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

United States
                            Member #134627
                            November 2, 2012
                            1001 Posts
                            Posted: November 3, 2012, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Next time I buy tickets, I'll ask where is the camera and look there and smile. I want to be recognized, in case.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: November 3, 2012, 10:44 am - IP Logged

If they're going to put your picture out there for everybody to see during the last month for you to collect your winnings, it should be part of an established policy so you can avoid it if you want to.

People have a right to wait til the last minute if they want to and should be told up front if their picture is going to be splashed all over before that time expires.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke