Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

California Lottery

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 4 years ago by lottolaughs.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

How would you feel about the lottery posting a video of you buying a potential winning ticket?

Good that they would go through the trouble. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
A lot better than going back to the state. [ 1 ]  [10.00%]
Happy! But concerned about privacy issues. [ 7 ]  [70.00%]
Over stepped their bounds. [ 2 ]  [20.00%]
Other [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 10 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
Hard Luck, Ak
United States
Member #23472
October 13, 2005
275 Posts
Posted: November 2, 2012, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Recently they had a story of a Young lady buying a California Super Lotto ticket back in May of this year. Turns out that she forget about the ticket and it was a 23 million dollar jackpot winner. The ticket was set to expire on November 25th and the lotto commission posted a video of her buying a ticket at the store where the jackpot was won. Her mom had placed the ticket in the glove box of her car and they both forget about it. Had it not been for the efforts of the lottery they would never known they had won. I think it's a great story but any hope of annomonity is gone now. I would be happy but also concerned about privacy issues.

Party

"We make a living by what you get, You make a LIFE by what you give!"

Sir Winston ChurchillSun Smiley

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
    California
    United States
    Member #69399
    January 9, 2009
    380 Posts
    Posted: November 2, 2012, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

That can be a tricky situation but in this particular instance the Lottery Commission did the right thing. The woman had apparently forgotten all about the ticket and if it hadn't been for the video, she would have most likely lost out on the 23 milion dollars. I'm sure if you ask her, she has no problem with how they found her. I do think that showing a video or picture should be done only as a last resort. I think it shouldn't be used until the ticket is a month away from expiring. Five months is an unusually long time to wait and most winners contact the lottery office within the first coulple of weeks. Even waiting a month is not unheard of since many don't realize they have won for a few days and still need time to find an attorney and make plans. However, if it's been five months, it's most likely that the winner is unaware that they bought the winning ticket.

If anyone is planning on waiting longer than a two weeks, they should probably contact the lottery office and inform them that they have the winning ticket and let them know when they will be coming in with it.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

Sunny California
      United States
      Member #40295
      May 31, 2006
      7712 Posts
      Posted: November 2, 2012, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

If it were you,wouldn't you be glad that they went to all the trouble? I think I would be :) Listen,if I were put in a room with any past MM winners I wouldn't be able to pick them out from Adam. Who remembers what they look like? LOL. If you do, you must have too much time on your hands.

United States
        Member #124493
        March 14, 2012
        7023 Posts
        Posted: November 2, 2012, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

If it were you, I would tell them "1,2 buckle your shoe!"Jester Laugh

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: November 2, 2012, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I've never purchased a lottery ticket and forgot about it.  At least I've never run into one jammed in a drawer or anything.  Who doesn't check their ticket(s) after ever draw with bated breath?

I guess if I was a person who tended to forget a potential gold mine, then I'd be grateful but still concerned about privacy.  It could be a slippery slope, tho.  I'd be very upset if they started showing the videos of each person who has a winning ticket without waiting till it was ready to expire.  What's to stop them from doing that?

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: November 2, 2012, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

I would rather the whole world knew I had won millions than to work for a living to make someone else rich for the rest of my life. That was easy.

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: November 2, 2012, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

I would be honored that they cared that much about me.

God bless them.  Blue Angel

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7712 Posts
                Posted: November 2, 2012, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

If it were you, I would tell them "1,2 buckle your shoe!"Jester Laugh

That is hilarious! LOL LOL Thanks for the laff!!!!