Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Trying to play Powerball as a Californian

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 4 years ago by instantfun.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego
United States
Member #132745
September 11, 2012
35 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2012, 4:42 am - IP Logged

I found out the only two online places where you can play powerball is Illinois lotto and Minnesota Lotto,  Illinois Lotto requires you to be a citizen and within the border when playing lotto but Minnesota Lotto only requires you to have a Minnesota address. So I was wondering if any Minnesotans would kindly enough to share their address with me(don't worry im not going to stalk you)?

PS: will a Minnesota PO Box works as well?

Dammn it, Minnesota has the same rule as Illinois, but it is not stated in TOS.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: November 16, 2012, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I found out the only two online places where you can play powerball is Illinois lotto and Minnesota Lotto,  Illinois Lotto requires you to be a citizen and within the border when playing lotto but Minnesota Lotto only requires you to have a Minnesota address. So I was wondering if any Minnesotans would kindly enough to share their address with me(don't worry im not going to stalk you)?

How far is the AZ border from San diego??? Cause you could just atake a little roadtrip....I would only go when the jackpot was over 110 million though...that's a long trip to make twice a week I'm assuming

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2012, 10:57 am - IP Logged

California have a bunch MegaMillions losers too, are you one of those Californian winners?  If not, you playing in Minnesota will just add to their loser list.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19964 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2012, 11:03 am - IP Logged

check with ronnie he has all that information for you.

Good LuckThumbs Up

Let it Snow Snowman

bobby623's avatar - abstract
          San Angelo, Texas
          United States
          Member #1097
          January 31, 2003
          1405 Posts
          Posted: November 16, 2012, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

California will start Powerball in January 2013 - provided anything is left after Dec. 21, 2012!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3857 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2012, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

California will start Powerball in January 2013 - provided anything is left after Dec. 21, 2012!

LMAO,  on my calender 12/22/12 I have noted "um.....still here....party or what ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

San Diego
              United States
              Member #132745
              September 11, 2012
              35 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2012, 5:11 am - IP Logged

After getting pass by Illinois and Minnesota registrations with a fake address, I got stuck at "unable to verify if im in the state of...." I guess I'll have to wait till April something next year. Mad

San Diego
                United States
                Member #132745
                September 11, 2012
                35 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2012, 5:14 am - IP Logged

How far is the AZ border from San diego??? Cause you could just atake a little roadtrip....I would only go when the jackpot was over 110 million though...that's a long trip to make twice a week I'm assuming

I wanna play powerball every week, thats not going to work if I have to drive 6 hour+ everytime just to get a powerball ticket.

San Diego
                  United States
                  Member #132745
                  September 11, 2012
                  35 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2012, 5:16 am - IP Logged

California have a bunch MegaMillions losers too, are you one of those Californian winners?  If not, you playing in Minnesota will just add to their loser list.

Haha playing lottery is all about luck, there's always surprises. We all are losers on the tickets and scratchers that we never won.

Japan
                    Member #131605
                    August 14, 2012
                    372 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2012, 9:52 am - IP Logged

^ YEAHHH!   

When I loose it's a surprise.

...for some reason

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6305 Posts
                      Posted: November 18, 2012, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

I wanna play powerball every week, thats not going to work if I have to drive 6 hour+ everytime just to get a powerball ticket.

You could multidraw your tickets...What?

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: November 20, 2012, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Advance play.

It's different for each state but you can play so many draws in advance instead of driving every week.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2012, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Before I decided to just play MM I would get relatives in Texas to send me tickets. Perhaps maybe you have someone that can do the same for you?

If not you can just drive there and get a multi-draw until January (or whenever CA gets it).

Baton Rouge, LA
                            United States
                            Member #4602
                            May 7, 2004
                            700 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2012, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

One option already suggested is to play multidraw tickets in AZ. I just checked their web site and it indicates you can play up to 10 consecutive draws on a single ticket. If you take that route, you would have to go to AZ every 5 weeks if you wanted to play.

As for playing online in another state, if you can get away with that depends on how far that state will go to verify you really live there. One possibility is a P.O. Box or use a private mail facility, like a UPS Store or the like. There are many of them advertising online and you can probably set one up without physically going there, and they will forward your mail to whatever address you choose. Some of those places will even forward mail for you, so it will have a postmark in the city you want to appear you are in.  Whether or not you use their forwarding services, you have to provide them with a true address and copies of two official forms of ID. 

If they want a phone number, just find the area code for whatever town your address is in and set up a Skype or prepaid cell phone number in that city.

Also, don't use a credit card to buy tickets because that can also be traced. Instead, use prepaid reloadable debit cards, as those don't require an address.

If after doing all this an you actually get to claim a prize, if they want ID, use a U.S. Passport, since those don't have an address on them. You may also want to set up a bank account with your fake address, so again, they don't have a way to trace you.

Again, it all depends on how far they will go to verify you are are a resident.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

United States
                              Member #115803
                              August 28, 2011
                              127 Posts
                              Posted: November 25, 2012, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Before I decided to just play MM I would get relatives in Texas to send me tickets. Perhaps maybe you have someone that can do the same for you?

If not you can just drive there and get a multi-draw until January (or whenever CA gets it).

I think getting a friend or relative to buy would be the best route, if you couldn't drive to a state and buy the tickets for yourself.

Before Ohio became part of the Mega Millions, I used to buy tickets for my co-workers all the time.  At the time, I lived in Michigan and worked in Ohio.  Before Ohio and Michigan joined Powerball, I'd have my brother-in-law in Kentucky pick up a few tickets for me when the jackpots were big.

Of course, that would be dependent on you having a friend or family member you could trust in a state that sells Powerball tickets.

(When I bought the MM tickets for my co-workers, I'd get the money at work, buy the tickets at night, and give them to the co-worker the next day.  So, the co-worker physically had the tickets in hand before the drawing even occurred.)