Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you feel obligated??

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Kumo.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
42204 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2012, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Ok so say you won "The big jackpot" Wednesday night.....as a new winner would you feel obligated to help people less fortunate than you?? Like for instance someone writes you or calls and says they can't pay their mortage......would you "bail" them out?? Or just bail? Can't people just keep on paying their bills and hope someone will help them or should we as potential lottery jackpot winners just bail folks out...You all know my motto by now....

I HAVE NO PROBLEM SAYING NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Green laughI am already taking care of the less motivated, through forced taxation.

HyperBe Happy.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
    Washington State
    United States
    Member #33973
    February 26, 2006
    347 Posts
    Posted: November 27, 2012, 1:07 am - IP Logged

With a win the size of this week's jackpot, I would help the "needy" to the tune of millions in total - but not to strangers who ask directly.  All would be done through recognized charities, primarily local charities that have a good record of screening for genuine need.  (I believe locals can do a much better job of that and do so at a lower cost than the federal government!)  Top on my list would be setting up scholarships for students in the communities I've lived. Next would come donations to libraries, to my local animal welfare group and in a much lower amount to several other specific local groups.  Most of these would be set up as a permanent endowment whereby only the income would go to support the individual charities each year.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10392 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2012, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Ok so say you won "The big jackpot" Wednesday night.....as a new winner would you feel obligated to help people less fortunate than you?? Like for instance someone writes you or calls and says they can't pay their mortage......would you "bail" them out?? Or just bail? Can't people just keep on paying their bills and hope someone will help them or should we as potential lottery jackpot winners just bail folks out...You all know my motto by now....

Good luck with this, billionaire2bee. I once posted a thread asking if you won a JP would you feel obligated to quit your job in order to make room for someone who really needed a job.

That word obligated seems to be a sting word that people react to in extremes. Most of the replies were, "I ain't obligated to do anything".

Let's see what happens now.

Lurking

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
        Kunming
        China
        Member #57910
        January 23, 2008
        3626 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2012, 1:50 am - IP Logged

it won't be your choice to give money away. The government will take your money and redistribute it to people they think are more deserving and the government won't take no for an answer.

So true. Spot on! Ha..ha.

Play to win!

Washington State
          United States
          Member #33973
          February 26, 2006
          347 Posts
          Posted: November 27, 2012, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Good luck with this, billionaire2bee. I once posted a thread asking if you won a JP would you feel obligated to quit your job in order to make room for someone who really needed a job.

That word obligated seems to be a sting word that people react to in extremes. Most of the replies were, "I ain't obligated to do anything".

Lurking

I, too, was turned off by the word "obligated," though I answered as though I was not.  It is not as though I would feel obligated to donate large amounts to charity such as scholarships, but rather that it would give me joy to be in a position to do so.

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2012, 9:55 am - IP Logged

"Bailing" people out usually hurts them more than helps them...........

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:01 am - IP Logged

Lurking

We are all obligated to eat, sleep and pay taxes........ Most other things are optional....

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I, too, was turned off by the word "obligated," though I answered as though I was not.  It is not as though I would feel obligated to donate large amounts to charity such as scholarships, but rather that it would give me joy to be in a position to do so.

We are only obligated to fulfil obligations that we are truly obliged to fulfil........Crazy

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Let It All Out

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19967 Posts
                    Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Let It All Out

ronnie, WTH wrong with youChair

Patriot

Washington State
                      United States
                      Member #33973
                      February 26, 2006
                      347 Posts
                      Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:40 am - IP Logged

We are only obligated to fulfil obligations that we are truly obliged to fulfil........Crazy

True, but many people seem to feel shamed into doing things they would really rather not do.  Thus, their sense of feeling obligated, even though they are not.  Don't you know people like that?  I certainly do.

Derby, NY
                        United States
                        Member #70564
                        February 5, 2009
                        1 Posts
                        Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:41 am - IP Logged

If I won a huge amount...of course, I'd help my family....if I knew valid reasons for help, I think

that I really would try to do something...we have had many unemployed and hardships in my family,

and I really don't know anyone with enough that you feel you could ask them for help...so you

just keep plugging away...and hope that lady luck could be on your side in some way.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: November 27, 2012, 11:20 am - IP Logged

True, but many people seem to feel shamed into doing things they would really rather not do.  Thus, their sense of feeling obligated, even though they are not.  Don't you know people like that?  I certainly do.

I know people like that too, and they think their sense of obligation should apply to others.  If they feel obliged, then there's something wrong with you (greed, stupidity, hate, etc.) if you refuse to feel obliged.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #94283
                            July 17, 2010
                            2284 Posts
                            Posted: November 27, 2012, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Answering the original post.

I wouldn't bail out individuals.  I ALSO HAVE NO PROBLEM SAYING NO!!!!!!!  Razz 

I would give large amounts to a few non-profits that deal with issues I have a soft spot for.  I'm not sure I'd feel obligated to do that.  I think I'd do it just because I want to, but it's possible I've been so thoroughly conditioned to believe I should, that I just THINK I want to.  Hmmm, I'll let you know for sure after my visit with my shrink later this week.

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: November 27, 2012, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Lurking

That's why I used it....I was trying to find a "buzz" word if you will.........that would make people take notice and respond after hopefully thinking about the word "obligated" and what I really meant by using it.....Think about it.......you just won more money than you could ever EARN in thirty lifetimes much less this one.....would you feel some sense of obligation to help those who have it much harder than you especially since now you could give and give ( within reason) and it would never hurt????............Think about it people......I know I'm the master at saying no....but even this one would have me stopping and thinking........