Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Crack the Lottery?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 4 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #136003
December 1, 2012
13 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2012, 9:42 am - IP Logged

Hello

I know I'm new to this forum and this is already my second post but I've been researching lotteries for a while already and had a few questions.

According to my understanding the lottery "Quick Draw" in New York is generated by a computer (is this correct?). If so theoretically if someone was able to crack the algorithm they should be able to "predict" all future numbers.

I understand this is easier said than done but - at the end of the day it should be doable ?

To my understanding Quick Draw is the only lottery in N.Y that uses a computer to generate the winning numbers -- is this correct?

Thanks

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2012, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Hello

I know I'm new to this forum and this is already my second post but I've been researching lotteries for a while already and had a few questions.

According to my understanding the lottery "Quick Draw" in New York is generated by a computer (is this correct?). If so theoretically if someone was able to crack the algorithm they should be able to "predict" all future numbers.

I understand this is easier said than done but - at the end of the day it should be doable ?

To my understanding Quick Draw is the only lottery in N.Y that uses a computer to generate the winning numbers -- is this correct?

Thanks

According to your state lottery report card (available under "Results" on the Blue Bar at the top of the page) you have no computer generated games.

United States
      Member #136003
      December 1, 2012
      13 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2012, 11:13 am - IP Logged

not true.. The system doesn't include quick draw I believe...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2012, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Hello

Thanks

If you're talking about Quick Picks generated by the terminals then you would only know all the QPs they might generate in the future, but not all QPs are winners.

*Note -  Terminals generating QPs should cover all possible combinations eventually.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
          upstate NY
          United States
          Member #108791
          March 31, 2011
          549 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2012, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

If you're talking about Quick Picks generated by the terminals then you would only know all the QPs they might generate in the future, but not all QPs are winners.

*Note -  Terminals generating QPs should cover all possible combinations eventually.

No, he's talking about the keno game Quick Draw, which is drawn every 4 minutes, 23½ hours a day.  The sheer volume of drawings (351 a day, if I'm doing my math right) makes it impractical for Todd to include it in the LP database.  Besides, the nature of the game is that you find out almost immediately whether or not you've won; I fail to see the utility of having those numbers archived.

To the OP:  Yes, it's a computer-generated drawing (it has to be; imagine being the person whose job it is to run a manual drawing every 4 minutes?), but lots of luck cracking the algorithm.  One would think that a state lottery would have a top notch random number generator (RNG) which is not susceptible to cracking.  And yes, it's the only computer-generated game in the NY Lottery portfolio.

Patriot

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19830 Posts
            Posted: December 2, 2012, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

No, he's talking about the keno game Quick Draw, which is drawn every 4 minutes, 23½ hours a day.  The sheer volume of drawings (351 a day, if I'm doing my math right) makes it impractical for Todd to include it in the LP database.  Besides, the nature of the game is that you find out almost immediately whether or not you've won; I fail to see the utility of having those numbers archived.

To the OP:  Yes, it's a computer-generated drawing (it has to be; imagine being the person whose job it is to run a manual drawing every 4 minutes?), but lots of luck cracking the algorithm.  One would think that a state lottery would have a top notch random number generator (RNG) which is not susceptible to cracking.  And yes, it's the only computer-generated game in the NY Lottery portfolio.

Thanks, I misunderstood.  Ohio has a similar KENO game but I don't follow it since games that have drawings ever four minutes aren't designed for players who like to think about their numbers before they gamble.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #136003
              December 1, 2012
              13 Posts
              Posted: December 2, 2012, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your reply - you hit all my questions on the noise.

I assumed that "Quick Draw" was computer generated (I believe it is stated so on the nylottery website) however I was just double checking to make sure.

Also, although your certainly right about the top notch system they must have in place to generate those "random" numbers, it's still different than something that is truly random.

I believe that most RNG systems have been cracked in the past (I'm not saying i will crack them, just for the record) even the it was believed that try will never be cracked. You could read about it on Wikipedia I believe.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: December 2, 2012, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your reply - you hit all my questions on the noise.

I assumed that "Quick Draw" was computer generated (I believe it is stated so on the nylottery website) however I was just double checking to make sure.

Also, although your certainly right about the top notch system they must have in place to generate those "random" numbers, it's still different than something that is truly random.

I believe that most RNG systems have been cracked in the past (I'm not saying i will crack them, just for the record) even the it was believed that try will never be cracked. You could read about it on Wikipedia I believe.

If they are doing 300+ draws a day you have lots of data for cracking the code...

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: December 2, 2012, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

If its anything like a slot machine RNG the numbers change every millisecond......

United States
                    Member #124493
                    March 14, 2012
                    7023 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2012, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

If they are doing 300+ draws a day you have lots of data for cracking the code...

I said it before.  If you are serious, then you need an advantage plus, unless you you already have a digit master inspecting tool.

To win you dont need much data.

I dont know why I see the Patriot  in RNG quick draw.

I am so confused my boney is becoming flaccid.