Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which One is Worst Odds Lottery?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7344 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2012, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Which lottery has worst odds?

There are odds against winning the jackpot and payoff odds so while both PB and MM have the worst odds against, they generally have the best jackpot payoff odds. Some players say raffles give the best odds of winning $1 million at 125,000 to 1, but the overall odds of winning any prize is 227 to 1. And because it's usually a $20 ticket, raffles have the worst odds.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: December 6, 2012, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Which lottery has worst odds?

I like my odds on either game.......

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: December 6, 2012, 9:58 am - IP Logged

There are odds against winning the jackpot and payoff odds so while both PB and MM have the worst odds against, they generally have the best jackpot payoff odds. Some players say raffles give the best odds of winning $1 million at 125,000 to 1, but the overall odds of winning any prize is 227 to 1. And because it's usually a $20 ticket, raffles have the worst odds.

Same with scratchers. In AZ one $500k is released in every 240,000 tickets @ $20. per ticket.....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19903 Posts
        Posted: December 6, 2012, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

but how does the cost being $1 vs $2 affect the odds? per $1 spent what are the odds? or i should say $2 bet cuz you aint geting a pb for $1.

Use to be when lotteries first became popular, odds on the back of play slips were based on dollars spent because some allowed 2 or 3 chances for a dollars.  But after they started charging 2 to 20 dollars per chance, they stopped that.

If lotteries still posted odds by dollars spent, some of those million dollars raffles tickets selling for $20 would look like rip-offs compared to the odds of winning a million dollars buying a $2 MM or PB ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: December 7, 2012, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Use to be when lotteries first became popular, odds on the back of play slips were based on dollars spent because some allowed 2 or 3 chances for a dollars.  But after they started charging 2 to 20 dollars per chance, they stopped that.

If lotteries still posted odds by dollars spent, some of those million dollars raffles tickets selling for $20 would look like rip-offs compared to the odds of winning a million dollars buying a $2 MM or PB ticket.

I still like the raffles.

It's all personal preference and risk assessment.

I'm willing to risk $20 once a year for a 1 in 110,000 chance at a million dollars.

I do it every year and have never won a nickle but I still look forward to the prospect every year.

This is the one I play:  http://valottery.com/raffle/