Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Privatization of Lottery

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #103217
December 31, 2010
96 Posts
Posted: December 12, 2012, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I support privatization of lottery. Right now state Govt pays anywhere from 40 to 50% of collected revenue in terms of prizes. I'm assuming 10-15% is overhead (like paying lottery employees, their expenses etc etc) and remaining 30-40% state uses for funding schools and other welfare causes.   I think if lottery is privatized, it can be run much more efficiently which means more money will allocated towards prizes than paying inefficiency in lottery administration.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2012, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

I support privatization of lottery. Right now state Govt pays anywhere from 40 to 50% of collected revenue in terms of prizes. I'm assuming 10-15% is overhead (like paying lottery employees, their expenses etc etc) and remaining 30-40% state uses for funding schools and other welfare causes.   I think if lottery is privatized, it can be run much more efficiently which means more money will allocated towards prizes than paying inefficiency in lottery administration.

OK,

Explain to me how adding another entitity makes it better for less, w/out costing players more ?

jersey is getting ready to do this, but only for sales and marketing depts.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
      Kunming
      China
      Member #57910
      January 23, 2008
      3626 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2012, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I agree. 'They' don't have the best interest of the player.

Play to win!

NY
        United States
        Member #103217
        December 31, 2010
        96 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

OK,

Explain to me how adding another entitity makes it better for less, w/out costing players more ?

jersey is getting ready to do this, but only for sales and marketing depts.

I didn't say you have to add another entity. Once you privatize, whoever offers better products and services , whoever is more efficient will survive in the market place.

In other words, whatever inefficiency is there in State running this, will be available for  additional prize money to be distributed among people. Private companies will be able to run this on 3-5% margin.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

I don't care who runs it long as I win....hopefully a large jackpot....

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
            Member #133462
            September 30, 2012
            5946 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

These private companies that take over the complete running of a state lottery are paid a hefty amount of cash along with huge incentives if goals are met. That's the other entity being referred to in the post above.

To outsource sales and marketing equates to outsourcing labor and expertise. That's a far cry from giving it up whole hog.

Companies that bid for these opportunities don't ever emphasize in their proposals implementing tons of efficiencies that will reduce the costs of running a lottery rather they speak to increasing revenue.

How will that be done? As another poster suggested the players will be "stiffed".

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2012, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Since Northstar took over the Illinois lottery things have tightened up for the players.

On scratchers where you try to match a single digit number there are now double digit numbers (i.e. more losers) in the area where you scratch the numbers.

The Lucky Day Lotto has an optional $1 EZmatch.....top prized of $500, odds againt 210,000:1. Far better off to put the additional dollar on the game itself, 575,000:1, jackpot starts at $100,000.

The Pick 6 now has an Extra Shot.....a QP that has to match the drawn Easy Shot. Just another way to make a $1 game a $2 game.

Northstar is an aggressive marketer but does little for the player.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: December 17, 2012, 12:57 am - IP Logged

jaggudada,

This is from the Chicago Reporter:

The Illinois Lottery was once lauded as a way to help fund public education, but now it’s become a forgotten resource in discussions about how to boost revenue for schools.

For every dollar spent on lottery tickets in Illinois, just 30 cents actually goes to public schools, according to the Illinois Association of School Boards. Another 58 cents is paid to players in prizes. And the remaining 12 cents covers commissions, bonuses and operating expenses. That means of the $2.3 billion spent on lottery tickets in fiscal year 2011, just $632 million went to the Common School Fund, the pot of money from which the state pays for elementary and secondary education.

And even that money doesn’t truly increase money for education, as journalists, including those with The Chicago Reporter, and school funding reform advocates revealed long ago.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: December 17, 2012, 3:02 am - IP Logged

These private companies that take over the complete running of a state lottery are paid a hefty amount of cash along with huge incentives if goals are met. That's the other entity being referred to in the post above.

To outsource sales and marketing equates to outsourcing labor and expertise. That's a far cry from giving it up whole hog.

Companies that bid for these opportunities don't ever emphasize in their proposals implementing tons of efficiencies that will reduce the costs of running a lottery rather they speak to increasing revenue.

How will that be done? As another poster suggested the players will be "stiffed".

I Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19797 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2012, 11:40 am - IP Logged

I don't care who runs it long as I win....hopefully a large jackpot....

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman