Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions - No Winner, JP Stays At $12M

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Stack47.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Kumo's avatar - ebDWVf6 jpg?1

United States
Member #122235
January 27, 2012
172 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

All "Birthday Numbers" and 9 lucky folks matched 5 for $250k each!

Considering the first rollover on a new MM jackpot only goes up by 1 to 2 million, I'd say that's where the increase for Friday went, paying off those 9 prizes.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. ~Ronald Reagan

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." ~Wolfgang von Goethe

"It's preferable to be harmlessly paranoid than fatally stupid."  ~Anonymous

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19825 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

All "Birthday Numbers" and 9 lucky folks matched 5 for $250k each!

Considering the first rollover on a new MM jackpot only goes up by 1 to 2 million, I'd say that's where the increase for Friday went, paying off those 9 prizes.

It's my understanding that all prizes other than the jackpots are paid by the states where they are won.  MUSL is only responsible for the jackpots which all state contribute 30% of their local sales toward.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10350 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2012, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps fewer people buy tickets right before the holiday??

Ronnie316,

I'm thinking maybe play picks up a little just before Christmas and New Year's. Perhaps players and those who don't play often are all hoping Santa Claus brings them a jackpot. 

Santa It would be interesting to see if December varies greatly from other months, up or down. Smiley Santa

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2012, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Ronnie316,

I'm thinking maybe play picks up a little just before Christmas and New Year's. Perhaps players and those who don't play often are all hoping Santa Claus brings them a jackpot. 

Santa It would be interesting to see if December varies greatly from other months, up or down. Smiley Santa

That could be.... And people also buy a lot of scratcher's as gifts and stocking staffers. I have to admitt Im a little bewildered at the lack of increase in the anticipated jackpot for Fri. night and was hoping some type of news story would come out, or perhaps an explanation from the brass over there at MUSALAUSALASAULASAUSALUASASLAUASASALULSALSAULA and company.????????????????????????????

Minnesota
          United States
          Member #136448
          December 11, 2012
          19 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2012, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

This doesn't surprise me. MM needs to up their jackpots. I mean look how many weeks it takes MM just to reach the PB minimum..

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3047 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2012, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

I was shocked too.  When I saw that the jackpot rolled to $12 million again.  Sales must really be taking a nose dive.  It will be interesting to see what the jackpot rolls to on friday because that will be two draws of rolls so I hope it does go up not stay at $12 million again.-weshar75

US Flag

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3854 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2012, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

I was shocked too.  When I saw that the jackpot rolled to $12 million again.  Sales must really be taking a nose dive.  It will be interesting to see what the jackpot rolls to on friday because that will be two draws of rolls so I hope it does go up not stay at $12 million again.-weshar75

US Flag

I will gladly accept the low profile win of 12 big ones,

I hope it does not backfire and draw attenition for being a small win, about 4 mils clear.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2012, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

I hate to complain about a low  jackpot.....Cause I'll take any size jackpot right now....

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2012, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

This doesn't surprise me. MM needs to up their jackpots. I mean look how many weeks it takes MM just to reach the PB minimum..

By upping their jackpots it means they will make it more expensive to play or a little harder to win. I kinda like the way both are structured right now. I don't want them to look too similar. Also $12M is still a lot of money. A man earning $50,000 a year will have to work 180,000 to earn $9M (Cash option for MM before taxes). I like the contrasts of the two games.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19825 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2012, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Some of the larger states have local games with larger jackpots and better odds.  For example, Ohio has Classic Lotto with a jackpot of $24M/$12M cash with odds of 1:14M which is likely to take away from MegaMillions sales for a week of so until it's larger.

Evil Looking       

Columbia, SC
                      United States
                      Member #135285
                      November 21, 2012
                      584 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2012, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone heard any recent details about why the jackpot didn't increase?  I've looked and don't see where they specify no jackpot increase if they have "x" amount of non jackpot winners and don't see this mentioned anywhere......just curious.....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2012, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I guess Mega Millions has no guaranteed minimum rollovers like Powerball does.  Up until this year, I thought Mega Millions had to increase by at least $2 million for every draw there is no winner.  To compete with Powerball, and taking into consideration Mega Millions' annuity is paid in equal installments, as opposed to the graduated installments Powerball pays, in addition to its $1 ticket price, as opposed to Powerball's $2 ticket price, Mega Millions should up its opening jackpot to $16 million, with minimum increases of $4 million.

---

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2012, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone heard any recent details about why the jackpot didn't increase?  I've looked and don't see where they specify no jackpot increase if they have "x" amount of non jackpot winners and don't see this mentioned anywhere......just curious.....

MUSL only guarantees a minimum jackpot of $12M for MegaMillions, not a minimum rollover amount like it does for PowerBall.  That's probably the reason you can't find any such statement.  The $14M in sales shown at LR was the lowest this year for a $12M jackpot, they usually averaged about $17M.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: December 20, 2012, 12:13 am - IP Logged

I guess Mega Millions has no guaranteed minimum rollovers like Powerball does.  Up until this year, I thought Mega Millions had to increase by at least $2 million for every draw there is no winner.  To compete with Powerball, and taking into consideration Mega Millions' annuity is paid in equal installments, as opposed to the graduated installments Powerball pays, in addition to its $1 ticket price, as opposed to Powerball's $2 ticket price, Mega Millions should up its opening jackpot to $16 million, with minimum increases of $4 million.

Usually when lotteries have a minimum rollover and sales are less than the rollovers , they don't last long before something changes.  Ohio Super Lotto once had a $2M minimum rollover amount and when neighboring state got PB and MM and out of state players stop playing their game, it was replaced with a new and improved game Lot'O Play that had smaller rollovers and smaller jackpots.  That game was later replaced with Classic Lotto.

I'm surprised PB hasn't made some changes to its minimum rollover amount, maybe they don't want to admit a mistake or the states are making up the difference.

Evil Looking       

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                              Member #59354
                              March 13, 2008
                              3966 Posts
                              Posted: December 20, 2012, 9:05 am - IP Logged

The payouts are paid out off the top and what's left over is added or subtracted from the JP prize.

Since the drawing was all low numbers then I expect that many lower prize payouts were claimed.

You also must consider it's christmas time and many may be making fewer lottery purchases and

spending lottery budgets on other items.    Nothing to be concerned about.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020