Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball is taking a serious beating in December!

Topic closed. 69 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RJOh.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
NY
United States
Member #121961
January 21, 2012
3157 Posts
Posted: December 28, 2012, 9:31 am - IP Logged

I believe PB has a inside informer and this matter needs to be investigated.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: December 28, 2012, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
      Member #133462
      September 30, 2012
      5946 Posts
      Posted: December 28, 2012, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Noel Is Lottery Worker2 the new Santa Claus? Noel

I am PMing him as we speak with a thousand apologies for all of my snide remarks in the past.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: December 28, 2012, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Noel Is Lottery Worker2 the new Santa Claus? Noel

I am PMing him as we speak with a thousand apologies for all of my snide remarks in the past.

Good idea. You would want to sully your chances of receiving gifts this Holiday Season.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: December 28, 2012, 9:46 am - IP Logged

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: December 28, 2012, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

Underfunded by $59 million? Oh, the horror ...  Over a 4 day period in late November they made a profit of about $280 million, so they're not hurting at all.

I'm sure PB states ares doing better than breaking even over the long haul but that was never their goal.  They want to show a nice profit after each drawing,

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Columbia, SC
              United States
              Member #135285
              November 21, 2012
              584 Posts
              Posted: December 28, 2012, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

with last drawing of the month on 29th being 40m for pb

it makes whole month never gone above 50M mark

who here put a voodoo/whatever curse on powerball

first we get  November being like best month for powerbal ending with the november 28th drawing at a record 587,500,000

and now december gone to hell,

its a curse, powerball spent all it last rolling luck in november,and now just giving jackpots out 

once it hits 50m, it blows its brains out. 

may  know on the January 2nd if it even get past 50m

if it gets hit 1 more time, we should just call it the 50m curse, as 4 times in a roll is wow what bad luck

, 5 its a curse.

also MM not doing so well this month ether , they never been above 35 for MM

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-history.asp

its like this month everyone and there dog been winning,

thro if your a everyday type of player,

can't say we  don't win a lot , we get our share too, not only the people who only come out wood work for major ones.

this month been a winner for people who play no matter the amount is rofl

am hoping When CA joins PB much  later into 2013  we have some more luck going by then.

I don't know...perhaps I'm missing something here, but can someone please explain to me when people hitting the lottery on a regular basis started being considered a curse? I'm really scratching my head here because this guy along with one other guy I've noticed seem to be complaining?  Could these folks be complaining because they only play when the jackpot reaches 100 million or more? I seriously don't get their concept...Heck, I'm happy with the winners...These winners have not made your chances on winning a jackpot any less (or more) than what they already were. The only thing that is "hurt" is the size of the jackpot, and I can't see why or how anyone could complain about winning 50 million dollars......Am I the only one that doesn't understand their complaints?

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: December 28, 2012, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Right, so applying EV to lotteries is a device of people who don't want to share......... 

Sounds kinda stingy to me........

Not neccesarrily.  Applying EV isn't a thing.  Calculating it is.  (EG A coinflip for a dollar between friends has an EV of 1 dollar, or 100%.  If the coin flip was a dollar against 2 dollars, the one dollar bettor has an EV of 2 dollar, or 200%.  The first bet is fair, while the second has an advantage for the 1 dollar bettor.  Obviously real examples liket he lottery are more complex to calculate.)

And yeah, call it stingy, greedy, whatever you want.  I think it's preferable to not share a jackpot than to share it if I win.

But I don't quite understand your point.  You profile signature says you love greedy rich people.  So what's the problem with me preferring to play a method whose goal is to eliminate that chance, and make me more likely to gain more wealth if I win?

Logically, you can see how that's inconsistent.  If you love human ingenuity, if you love capitalism, markets, and becoming rich (all things you've either said or implied you like) then you should have no critiscism of my hypothesis, even if you somehow disagree with my conclusion.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: December 28, 2012, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

CinCin,

There are many posts on this board that may look like something else, such as "How come it's always NY / CAL / FL....", that are in essence saying, "How come it wasn't ME."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: December 28, 2012, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

You can be sure someone is looking at these PB wins with the same concern they had when all those players won using fortune cookies numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: December 28, 2012, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I'll take it, even @ 40 mils. usa. mega says I'll clear $16 mil plus, I think thats enough.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: December 29, 2012, 1:09 am - IP Logged

I wonder when the MUSL is going to admit the new Powerball is a mistake.  Sales clearly do not support a $40 million opening jackpot and $10 million minimum rollovers.

---

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: December 29, 2012, 7:18 am - IP Logged

Yeah, waaaaaaaay too easy.

I'm tired of winning all the time.

Me too.....White Bounce

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Japan
                            Member #131605
                            August 14, 2012
                            372 Posts
                            Posted: December 29, 2012, 11:19 am - IP Logged

I wonder when the MUSL is going to admit the new Powerball is a mistake.  Sales clearly do not support a $40 million opening jackpot and $10 million minimum rollovers.

If they did make a mistake....we don't care

I like the $40million start an the $10million increase. You know it gets bigger faster!

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7313 Posts
                              Posted: December 29, 2012, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Not neccesarrily.  Applying EV isn't a thing.  Calculating it is.  (EG A coinflip for a dollar between friends has an EV of 1 dollar, or 100%.  If the coin flip was a dollar against 2 dollars, the one dollar bettor has an EV of 2 dollar, or 200%.  The first bet is fair, while the second has an advantage for the 1 dollar bettor.  Obviously real examples liket he lottery are more complex to calculate.)

And yeah, call it stingy, greedy, whatever you want.  I think it's preferable to not share a jackpot than to share it if I win.

But I don't quite understand your point.  You profile signature says you love greedy rich people.  So what's the problem with me preferring to play a method whose goal is to eliminate that chance, and make me more likely to gain more wealth if I win?

Logically, you can see how that's inconsistent.  If you love human ingenuity, if you love capitalism, markets, and becoming rich (all things you've either said or implied you like) then you should have no critiscism of my hypothesis, even if you somehow disagree with my conclusion.

"If the coin flip was a dollar against 2 dollars, the one dollar bettor has an EV of 2 dollar, or 200%."

Don't want to nit-pick but one of those dollars came out of the dollar bettors pocket so he can only win $1. The the profit is 100%, even money. If the lotteries ran a coin flip game like they run their other games and a player bet a dollar and won, they would pay them $1.

You win nothing if you win $2 on a $2 scratch-off ticket. Winning a free ticket in some of the pick-5 games is only slightly different. You're still out the dollar but you won another chance to win something. 

Kentucky pays $600 for a $1 pick-3 straight ticket and when I moved here, I wondered if it was taxed. It's not because the winnings are $599 and under the IRS limit.