Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Year 2013 Scratch Results

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Jon D.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Boca Raton fl
United States
Member #137367
January 2, 2013
6 Posts
Posted: January 2, 2013, 1:58 am - IP Logged

So I am new to scratch offs, recently i spent 120 dollars on 20 dollar Florida Monopoly and all I won back was 20 dollars this was at PUBlix a florida store,  the next day I go to a 7-11 spend 100 dollars on the same 20 dollar monopoly, i win 20 dollars, today, i went to a different 7-11 and i spent 80 dollars on monopoly and one NOTHING. What am I doing wrong folks, this sucks.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
    Upacreek
    United States
    Member #136306
    December 8, 2012
    428 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2013, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Quit now... that's the best adviceWink

I don't understand the odds printed on the back of the scratch off tickets...lately for me, just coming across a free ticket gets tougher and tougher these days and I focus on the games that have the best odds (or so I thought?)

I just started playing not too long ago (always swore I'd never start)... and I've been getting deeper and deeper into the hole the more I playBS

These instant tickets are highly addictive and that's the point... to keep you chasing that next hitEvil Smile  Some folks are winning, but you gotta wonder how far in the hole they had to get before they hit the next big one???

The lotteries are in business to make money... not give it awayThumbs Up

Good luck!

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
      Member #3792
      February 21, 2004
      198 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2013, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

its because scratch offs have bad odds, you are better off buying PLAY 4.  let me show you how much better PLAY 4 is.  the odds to win 5,000 is 1-in-10,000.  on that monopoly scratch off you bought, the odds to win 5,000 is 1-in-30,000.  not to mention you are only spending 1 dollar for PLAY 4 vs 20 dollars for the scratch off.  but, since this is a scratch off forum i will tell you do not buy monopoly, buy gold rush and i wish you luck to get 500.  its only 1-in-196 odds for that.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
        Upacreek
        United States
        Member #136306
        December 8, 2012
        428 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2013, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

I hear ya HIFI

One of the games I've been consistently playing states "approximate overall odds of winning (including break-even prizes) 1 in 2.71".  I've been keeping track and the best I've done so far is 1 in 3.5. 

Now, how they define "approximate" is a mystery to me, but if they can nail the odds down to the hundredth of a decimal point within their definition of approximate, then I think I should be doing a little better.

I haven't hit a break even prize in quite sometime or anything for that matter in this particular game... I don't play all that much, but enough to make me a little suspicious here.  I shop around, mixing it up where I buy. 

Statistically, (math isn't my strong suit in life Confused) it would seem to me that there is a bit of a difference between 1 in 2.71 and 1 in 3.5.

At that is the best I've done so far... my track record of odds have been worse... ebb and flow.

I concur- the odds are bad, but are they worse than advertised?  I guess it would depend on how you define "approximate"?

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: January 7, 2013, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

So I am new to scratch offs, recently i spent 120 dollars on 20 dollar Florida Monopoly and all I won back was 20 dollars this was at PUBlix a florida store,  the next day I go to a 7-11 spend 100 dollars on the same 20 dollar monopoly, i win 20 dollars, today, i went to a different 7-11 and i spent 80 dollars on monopoly and one NOTHING. What am I doing wrong folks, this sucks.

With scratch offs, winning bigger prizes takes lots of play time. Just starting out, your return will generally be pretty low, like only 10-20%. But also be aware that it is a competitive game where you are playing against other players for a fixed amount of wins on a roll. Someone else may be scooping up wins before you, leaving you with more losers to find.

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: January 7, 2013, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

"I don't understand the odds printed on the back of the scratch off tickets...lately for me, just coming across a free ticket gets tougher and tougher these days and I focus on the games that have the best odds (or so I thought?)"

The odds should be clear, and you can calculate your return from that. But I don't see any detailed odds info on your IL lottery website. That is a bad sign. Here in CA, complete odds are posted on the website. Do they only print it on the back of your tickets? If so, post a sample picture.

Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: January 7, 2013, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

its because scratch offs have bad odds, you are better off buying PLAY 4.  let me show you how much better PLAY 4 is.  the odds to win 5,000 is 1-in-10,000.  on that monopoly scratch off you bought, the odds to win 5,000 is 1-in-30,000.  not to mention you are only spending 1 dollar for PLAY 4 vs 20 dollars for the scratch off.  but, since this is a scratch off forum i will tell you do not buy monopoly, buy gold rush and i wish you luck to get 500.  its only 1-in-196 odds for that.

Actually, scratch offs have much better overall odds and return than pick 4. You will both lose more often and lose a greater percentage when playing pick 4 than you will playing scratch offs. Either way you lose though, the statistics of the lottery demand it. But with the instant nature of scratch offs, you can lose a lot *faster* if you aren't careful, so only spend what you feel comfortable with losing.