Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question about a citizen from Ecuador winning

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 4 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
274 Posts
Posted: January 2, 2013, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

I bought scratch offs for all my family in Ecaudor as a gift and one o fmy cousins hit for 50,000 thousand. Now what do we do. he has np visa to come to the usa and if i claim it for him I have to pay the taxes as a us citizen but is it true that if he claims it as a ecuardorian citizen he does not have to pay any taxes on the money because ecuador does not tax their citizens on lottery winnings? can anyone help and advise thanks

United States
    Member #124493
    March 14, 2012
    7023 Posts
    Posted: January 2, 2013, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

I bought scratch offs for all my family in Ecaudor as a gift and one o fmy cousins hit for 50,000 thousand. Now what do we do. he has np visa to come to the usa and if i claim it for him I have to pay the taxes as a us citizen but is it true that if he claims it as a ecuardorian citizen he does not have to pay any taxes on the money because ecuador does not tax their citizens on lottery winnings? can anyone help and advise thanks

EekThumbs Up

ozone park
      United States
      Member #57042
      December 15, 2007
      274 Posts
      Posted: January 2, 2013, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

But I understand that certain countries do not pay tazes on lottery winnings they win in the usa that I know for sure i just am not sure about Ecuador

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #61435
        May 22, 2008
        906 Posts
        Posted: January 2, 2013, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

There are all sorts of issues here....mailing over state/country lines, gift tax etc.  Have them send the ticket back to you.  Redeem it as if you never sent it in the first place, pay the taxes owed and send them the balance....minus a small fee for your inconvenience, lol....

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: January 2, 2013, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

no infact there is an extra %10 tax on forigners just for good measure.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
            Member #133462
            September 30, 2012
            5946 Posts
            Posted: January 2, 2013, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

United States Income Tax Treaties - A to Z

The United States has tax treaties with a number of foreign countries. Under these treaties, residents (not necessarily citizens) of foreign countries are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from U.S. taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States. These reduced rates and exemptions vary among countries and specific items of income. Under these same treaties, residents or citizens of the United States are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from foreign taxes, on certain items of income they receive from sources within foreign countries. Most income tax treaties contain what is known as a "saving clause" which prevents a citizen or resident of the United States from using the provisions of a tax treaty in order to avoid taxation of U.S. source income.
            If the treaty does not cover a particular kind of income, or if there is no treaty between your country and the United States, you must pay tax on the income in the same way and at the same rates shown in the instructions for the applicable U.S. tax return.
            Many of the individual states of the United States tax income which is sourced in their states. Therefore, you should consult the tax authorities of the state from which you derive income to find out whether any state tax applies to any of your income. Some states of the United States do not honor the provisions of tax treaties.
            This page provides links to tax treaties between the United States and particular countries. For further information on tax treaties refer also to the Treasury Department's Tax Treaty Documents page.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19727 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2013, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

United States Income Tax Treaties - A to Z

The United States has tax treaties with a number of foreign countries. Under these treaties, residents (not necessarily citizens) of foreign countries are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from U.S. taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States. These reduced rates and exemptions vary among countries and specific items of income. Under these same treaties, residents or citizens of the United States are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from foreign taxes, on certain items of income they receive from sources within foreign countries. Most income tax treaties contain what is known as a "saving clause" which prevents a citizen or resident of the United States from using the provisions of a tax treaty in order to avoid taxation of U.S. source income.
              If the treaty does not cover a particular kind of income, or if there is no treaty between your country and the United States, you must pay tax on the income in the same way and at the same rates shown in the instructions for the applicable U.S. tax return.
              Many of the individual states of the United States tax income which is sourced in their states. Therefore, you should consult the tax authorities of the state from which you derive income to find out whether any state tax applies to any of your income. Some states of the United States do not honor the provisions of tax treaties.
              This page provides links to tax treaties between the United States and particular countries. For further information on tax treaties refer also to the Treasury Department's Tax Treaty Documents page.

Emoticons vspace5

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: January 2, 2013, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

I think you have to pay the federal and state taxes here...the state you won in unless they have no state tax.....but Uncle Sam is ging to get his money....right off the top...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: January 2, 2013, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Uncle Barack will take his cut first and it will be substantial.

Then your state will take their cut.

Then Uncle Barack will come back for even more of it on April 15th.

They will take the shirt off your back.

And if you resist?

They'll take your pants too.

But hey, half the country's on food stamps, the other half has to pay for it, do the math.

Good luck!

United States
                    Member #135804
                    November 29, 2012
                    316 Posts
                    Posted: January 3, 2013, 12:03 am - IP Logged

State and Federal government will immediately withhold portion of the prize for taxes when you claim it. That is normally 25% for federal for Americans, but since he is a foreigner it's 35% automatically held from the prize. The State government will also do this for a certain amount (some states, however, do not have taxes on their lottery prizes). You will file taxes for the U.S. and State (if the state has income tax) at the end of the year. If you don't file, you give up the money withheld (in this case, you would be giving away money since the tax you'd pay in the U.S. on that 50,000 would be less than the amount withheld).

You also have to file your country's own taxes. and there might be some credits provided for tax paid in the U.S. You'd ultimately pay the higher tax (U.S. or whatever your country), though it would be split between the 2 countries - you'd pay up to the lower tax rate first, then you'd pay the remaining for the higher country's tax. If the U.S. is the higher tax altogether, you'd pay all of it to the U.S. and get a credit on your local country's taxes.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3850 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2013, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Another good reason not to buy tix. for gifts.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

ozone park
                        United States
                        Member #57042
                        December 15, 2007
                        274 Posts
                        Posted: January 5, 2013, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

When the guy from England won a few years ago he won the scratch off 1 million dollars a year for life. But because he lives in England he gets $970,000.00 dollars a year for 20 years at least and because England doe snot tax income from lottery winnings he gets to keep alomost 100% fo the money. That was why i am asking this questions because this case I mentioned is factual.

United States
                          Member #124493
                          March 14, 2012
                          7023 Posts
                          Posted: January 5, 2013, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

When the guy from England won a few years ago he won the scratch off 1 million dollars a year for life. But because he lives in England he gets $970,000.00 dollars a year for 20 years at least and because England doe snot tax income from lottery winnings he gets to keep alomost 100% fo the money. That was why i am asking this questions because this case I mentioned is factual.

Yes, but from what I understand England and the U.S. have some sort of special agreement/arrangement, where they dont tax twice.

Ecuador, does not have that sort of nepotism, i think, if that is the right word.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                            Member #133462
                            September 30, 2012
                            5946 Posts
                            Posted: January 5, 2013, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but from what I understand England and the U.S. have some sort of special agreement/arrangement, where they dont tax twice.

Ecuador, does not have that sort of nepotism, i think, if that is the right word.

Reciprocity....

United Kingdom is on the listing I provided above Ecuador isn't.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
                              Member #124493
                              March 14, 2012
                              7023 Posts
                              Posted: January 5, 2013, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Reciprocity....

United Kingdom is on the listing I provided above Ecuador isn't.

1 : the quality or state of being reciprocal  : mutual dependence, action, or influence
                              2 : a mutual exchange of privileges;  specifically   : a recognition by one of two countries or institutions of the validity of licenses or privileges granted by the other