Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When will Military Bases allow Lottery machines?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Lucky4Life.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Japan
Member #131605
August 14, 2012
372 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2013, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Or overseas bases?No, I'm not talking about middle east bases just more 'peaceful' for instances here in Japan. I go on this one base all the time an was just thinking why can't they allow a lottery machine? had a good long conversation with some officers about it to an there all for it. lol. Ofcourse I'd have to assume they can/should only sell more 'national' tickets as in Mega Millions an Powerball. Individual state lotteries would complicate things!

They can order a plethora of the paper to print tickets(honestly sure they may sell a lot but judging from what I see an most people around here I doubt they would run out of paper/playslips that soon) an ofcourse its a maschine so the lottery can, just as they do in states, determine if an how many winners there were.

Now the Military has this ...vague sorta law on 'gambling' but it would seem its more of a precaution an if your job was important to them they really don't want you winning the saturday night $60million jackpot. The base in Japan I'm refering to has gambling machines an slot machines on it an ofcourse you can feely go out an buy official Japan lotto tickets. Top prize is about $4.5Million

... I really wanna just buy a couple of Powerball tickets a week. An Mega Millions, I never played.

Big Smile

Kumo's avatar - ebDWVf6 jpg?1

United States
    Member #122235
    January 27, 2012
    172 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2013, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I think it may be for that vague law. I remember an ARMY SSG won one of the larger jackpots while on vacation in the mid 2000's, he picked up his DD-214 not long after.

Over in Korea we also had some of those gambling machines in our local on base pub and it was perfectly legal. I remember some of my fellow soldiers winning up to $200.

I think the question to ask is, would it interfere with morale and leadership of the Chain of Command or NCO Support Channel? Would it encourage young soldiers to focus on gambling rather than the task at hand?

I am not sure about having the larger jackpots on post since it is not against regulation to go buy a ticket downrange and we just did without over in Korea, heck there was plenty of other stuff to do over there to keep us occupied. I don't see an issue with something small like a daily Pick 3 or Pick 4 though.

Best advice I can give for any soldier while in the service is to save up and invest those hard earned dollars while you can. Granted the DFAC food usually sucks but money spend at Burger King, Anthony's Pizza and Taco Bell everyday adds up to a very hefty sum of money each month.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. ~Ronald Reagan

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." ~Wolfgang von Goethe

"It's preferable to be harmlessly paranoid than fatally stupid."  ~Anonymous

Kumo's avatar - ebDWVf6 jpg?1

United States
      Member #122235
      January 27, 2012
      172 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2013, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Just a bit of a follow up.

While if the Military required a Soldier to finish out his/her contract after winning a large sum of money, would it interfere with their core values? Perhaps a Blue Falcon might be encougaged to be an even bigger douchebag when he is under the illusion that his future is set, potentially jepordizing his unit and the current mission. There is a possibility that a jackpot winner will continue to serve the rest of his Military career with honor, but how will the rest of the soldiers within his unit react? Would it destabalize morale of the unit knowing they have a multi-millionaire in their ranks?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. ~Ronald Reagan

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." ~Wolfgang von Goethe

"It's preferable to be harmlessly paranoid than fatally stupid."  ~Anonymous

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2013, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

In the U.S., any military base or fort is a federal reservation. So I'm thinking that would cancel state lottery sales.

As far as ovrseas, I doubt PB or MM could sell tickets on overseas bases.

I was stationed in Germany in the early 1970's. The EM, NCO and Officer's clubs had slot machines. Then a General's wife became a player, a heavy duty player. Not long after the front page of the Army Times showed a picture of said General and a M-88 Tank retriever crushing a parking lot full of slot machines.

The military has enough problems with booze and drugs, I doubt they want to add gambling.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7297 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Or overseas bases?No, I'm not talking about middle east bases just more 'peaceful' for instances here in Japan. I go on this one base all the time an was just thinking why can't they allow a lottery machine? had a good long conversation with some officers about it to an there all for it. lol. Ofcourse I'd have to assume they can/should only sell more 'national' tickets as in Mega Millions an Powerball. Individual state lotteries would complicate things!

They can order a plethora of the paper to print tickets(honestly sure they may sell a lot but judging from what I see an most people around here I doubt they would run out of paper/playslips that soon) an ofcourse its a maschine so the lottery can, just as they do in states, determine if an how many winners there were.

Now the Military has this ...vague sorta law on 'gambling' but it would seem its more of a precaution an if your job was important to them they really don't want you winning the saturday night $60million jackpot. The base in Japan I'm refering to has gambling machines an slot machines on it an ofcourse you can feely go out an buy official Japan lotto tickets. Top prize is about $4.5Million

... I really wanna just buy a couple of Powerball tickets a week. An Mega Millions, I never played.

Big Smile

The good news is even though you're in the miliary, you still hold a state residency. If your state's lottery offers online wagering you can open an account and play. If it's a non-lottery state or doesn't have online wagering, you're out of luck.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5117 Posts
            Posted: January 4, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

The good news is even though you're in the miliary, you still hold a state residency. If your state's lottery offers online wagering you can open an account and play. If it's a non-lottery state or doesn't have online wagering, you're out of luck.

STK:

The bad news is military "budget" sequestration 2013 will close many bases worldwide and in the US.

The good news is our elected "leaders" will pass a new bill to divide all the money saved will go to all

Jackpot Lottery Players, who can prove they have lost alotto "money"  play'n big money lottery$$$$!!

DrumJack-in-the-BoxDrum

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7297 Posts
              Posted: January 4, 2013, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

STK:

The bad news is military "budget" sequestration 2013 will close many bases worldwide and in the US.

The good news is our elected "leaders" will pass a new bill to divide all the money saved will go to all

Jackpot Lottery Players, who can prove they have lost alotto "money"  play'n big money lottery$$$$!!

DrumJack-in-the-BoxDrum

I'm not surprised about the military bases because our government been on non-stop spending spree for over 10 years.

They just passed a new bill that raises taxes on Jackpot Lottery Winners, but the good news is, the winner gets to keep the huge non-negotiable cardboard check.

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #85037
                January 7, 2010
                252 Posts
                Posted: January 6, 2013, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

This is a great question.  I live in Alabama, a state that does not have a lottery.  I drive to Florida for my tickets, about 20 minutes away. But I live 5 minutes away from a military base.  Because my husband works there, he can gamble and I can gamble as I am a bona fide guest.  They do bingo, I can't remember the largest jackpot but it's in the thousands.  I want to think $25K?  Anywho it would stand to reason they should allow the vending machines in the same area.  Time will tell, I suppose.