Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TN Cash (state lotto) vs MegaMillions

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 4 years ago by TheJokester117.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TheJokester117's avatar - 1 jpg?v=6fc738
Memphis, Tennessee
United States
Member #137345
January 1, 2013
3 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2013, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Hello everyone, first forum post. I'm kind of new to the forums but no stranger to the lottery. I just wanted to get some opinions.

I live in Tennessee. Our state lottery is the Tennessee Cash. It is a 5/5 game. Basically, you pick 5 numbers, ranging from 1-35, with 1 cash ball, ranging from 1-5. Prize payouts are generally lower, and the jackpot starts at $200,000. It is drawn on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And I'm sure everyone knows how the MegaMillions work.

What I'm asking is which game do you think is worth playing more? Each game, the tickets are $1. 3 drawings a week for TN Cash vs 2 for MM. In your opinion, should I:

A. Split money between both games

B. Go all in on TN Cash

C. Go all in on MegaMillions

Just wondering which choice seems more logical and reasonable. Right now, my budget is about $30 a week. How should I be spending it between these two games? All opinions are welcome, and thanks!

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
    Whiskey Island
    United States
    Member #90216
    April 24, 2010
    12730 Posts
    Posted: January 7, 2013, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Its simple your States game has Better Odds then Powerball or Mega-Millionsgames ... I would play my States games until the Jackpot gets over $100 Million on either Powerball or Mega-Millions ..

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
      Whiskey Island
      United States
      Member #90216
      April 24, 2010
      12730 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2013, 2:30 am - IP Logged
      TENNESSEE CASH prize amounts vary with the number of tickets sold and the number of winning tickets in each prize level. If there is no winner(s) in a prize level, the cash for that prize level will be added to the prize level for the next drawing.
      PRIZE CATEGORIES AND ODDS
      MATCHING NUMBERS ODDS
      5 Numbers plus CASH BALL1:1,623,160
      5 Numbers without CASH BALL1:405,790
      4 Numbers plus CASH BALL1:10,821
      4 Numbers without CASH BALL1:2,705
      3 Numbers plus CASH BALL1:373
      3 Numbers without CASH BALL1:93
      2 Numbers plus CASH BALL1:40
      2 Numbers without CASH BALL1:10
      Overall odds1:7
      *All prize amounts, except the Match 2 Numbers without CASH BALL, are pari-mutuel – all winners share an equal portion of the winnings in each prize category. The Match 2 Numbers without CASH BALL wins a Free QP TENNESSEE CASH ticket.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: January 7, 2013, 2:57 am - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP TheJokster117 Hurray! I would say play the game with the better odds. There are several players from Tennessee on here that can give you some info as well ridge & TnTicketlosers...

I Love Pink & Green 1908

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19821 Posts
          Posted: January 7, 2013, 6:25 am - IP Logged

Ohio has a similar situation with PowerBall, MegaMillions and its own Classic Lotto(6/49) and Rolling Cash5(5/39).  With its Classic Lotto jackpot at $25.5M, I've been playing it for a while but now that MegaMillions is at $47M, I might try putting a couple of dollars on it too.

I'm just glad I have the option of playing several games depending on how feel. 

Good luck to you which ever game you decide to play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Memphis, Tennessee
            United States
            Member #137345
            January 1, 2013
            3 Posts
            Posted: January 7, 2013, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Yeah I know the odds are better for TN Cash. It just seems like I only ever win free tickets when I play it. Where as with Mega, I'll hit $7 and $3 all the time, which addds up a lot nicer.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: January 7, 2013, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I would play TN cash more often because the odds of winning any prize are much higher than in MM. Just the frequency of jackpot wins should inform you which game is easier to win. Some people though only play for the big jackpot. Do you?

That money's gone fo ever

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: January 7, 2013, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I know the odds are better for TN Cash. It just seems like I only ever win free tickets when I play it. Where as with Mega, I'll hit $7 and $3 all the time, which addds up a lot nicer.

Hey Jokester, welcome to Lottery Post.

Me personally, I'd just keep my foot in the door at the most (one line) on the TN Cash and put the rest on the MM or PB.

The reason for that is MM and PB are true draws and TN Cash is a fake draw with a computer.

And that computer has been programmed wrong by our lottery people before and screwed a lot of people out of money they should have been awarded. I don't trust it (or them).

But don't put all yer poke salet in my croker sack cuz I'm kind of a pariah 'round here far as convention goes.

Nary a one'd dance to my dirge. 

Most'd druther be keel-hauled by the Flyin' Dutchman.

Good luck, Jokester!

Memphis, Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #137345
                  January 1, 2013
                  3 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2013, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Well, I play to win some money, in the hopes of winning a jackpot. But I'm also focusing on accumulating small winnings on the way to my jackpot.

Just today for the 01/07 drawing, I was trying a new TN Cash system. I only played two lines of my own, and just filled the slip with 3 QP for $5 total. I won 3 free tickets, and those all came from the 3 QP. Seems like that's the best I can always do, where as with Mega I'll hit $3 and $7 and usually break even or come close to it. With Mega, I win or win enough to continue playing, where as with TN Cash, it seems like I'm consistently blowing money.

And rdgrnr, care to elaborate on this fake draw? I haven't heard about it.