Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

really?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LAKE HAVASU AZ
United States
Member #44729
August 8, 2006
446 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2013, 8:40 am - IP Logged

over the years of seeing "the lottery jack pot is 5,000,000.00 cash option 2.5 after taxes 1.3..... wow what BS.....why `should you lose HALF if you take the cash option, you did'nt give them HALF A PAYMENT WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE TICKET.... who thinks there should be a lottery that what is posted is the jackpot is what you get is tax free , why the hell should i be taxed and taxed and taxed....just had to vent.....

some day....some day

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2013, 8:43 am - IP Logged

over the years of seeing "the lottery jack pot is 5,000,000.00 cash option 2.5 after taxes 1.3..... wow what BS.....why `should you lose HALF if you take the cash option, you did'nt give them HALF A PAYMENT WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE TICKET.... who thinks there should be a lottery that what is posted is the jackpot is what you get is tax free , why the hell should i be taxed and taxed and taxed....just had to vent.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D2_3_qbjf0

"Everything works  ONCE!"

LAKE HAVASU AZ
      United States
      Member #44729
      August 8, 2006
      446 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2013, 8:59 am - IP Logged

ok still don't like it tho :) so if i invest the amount they give me and do my own annuity payments it will take 20 years to get what i was SUPPOSED  to win that was advertised in the first place ?

some day....some day

Columbia, SC
        United States
        Member #135285
        November 21, 2012
        584 Posts
        Posted: January 9, 2013, 9:13 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5611 Posts
          Posted: January 9, 2013, 9:24 am - IP Logged

The CASH VALUE is the REAL jackpot. They invest the cash amount to achieve the annuity over a certain period of years. Just like if you take the cash and invest it yourself.

Taxes, well, they get paid no matter what option you choose.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19871 Posts
            Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:04 am - IP Logged

i don't understand why would anyone complain, after all if a person should happen to WIN BIG it's Still FREE money right?Yes Nod

i on the other hand would never take the cash option.Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19871 Posts
              Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Loviesnice

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:11 am - IP Logged

i don't understand why would anyone complain, after all if a person should happen to WIN BIG it's Still FREE money right?Yes Nod

i on the other hand would never take the cash option.Smiley

Why make the state the manager of your money when the free market has BETTER managers?

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:14 am - IP Logged

I thought the same thing until I came to LP. It seems like they are taking half the money when in reality they are doubling the size of the actual prize for advertising purposes.

u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19871 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:33 am - IP Logged

Why make the state the manager of your money when the free market has BETTER managers?

why ask why?

How can someone "draw a blank"?

Why do they call them "apartments" when they are all stuck together?

Why is it called a "building" when it is already built?

Why do they make cars go so fast its illegal?

Why does your nose run and your feet smell?

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the
                    doors?

If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?

Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Does a fish get cramps after eating?

How is it possible to have a civil war?What?

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

why ask why?

How can someone "draw a blank"?

Why do they call them "apartments" when they are all stuck together?

Why is it called a "building" when it is already built?

Why do they make cars go so fast its illegal?

Why does your nose run and your feet smell?

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the
                      doors?

If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?

Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Does a fish get cramps after eating?

How is it possible to have a civil war?What?

The same reason they call cash "cold and hard" Why oh why said the bird to the fly, My oh my.....

u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19871 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:51 am - IP Logged

The same reason they call cash "cold and hard" Why oh why said the bird to the fly, My oh my.....

cowboy 1 smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                          Member #130815
                          July 25, 2012
                          1636 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2013, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

Your getting millions of dollars for a couple dollars investment......cmon do you really care how much you have to pay in taxes??? You got the very best return you could for your investment and your worried about taxes....shoot pay what you gotta and go live your millionaire lifestyle....I'd love to have this problem I win millions of dollars and have to pay half of it....please let me have this problem

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19830 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2013, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

You got one thing in your favor, your odds of ever having to do that are the same as your odds or winning a lottery jackpot.  Chances are you'll never have to do that but if you do you'll be paying the same tax rate as someone who physically earned the same amount of money.

The annuity amount doesn't exists, it's the expected returned if the cash is invested for 25-30 years and you only use a small potion of the cash during those years.  It's like saying every time you spend $50 on a carton of cigarettes you are forced to give up the $100 that $50 could have earned over the next 25 years because of the taxes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                              Member #134627
                              November 2, 2012
                              1001 Posts
                              Posted: January 9, 2013, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

helpmewin, I know what is the reason to complain. Lottery impoverishes the population of players, a lot,  considering that the level of impoverishment is higher than yearly inflation percentage, in most lotteries immensely higher.  Even after someone wins, money comes, of course, from the population of players that gets poorer and poorer, yet even those money have to be taxed. This seems outrageous. To hope that tax money will do good for the country, who knows, do we have ways of checking where the tax money goes? Lottery , supposedly, also gives money to the causes, social programs, sports, colleges, etc. Let's just hope that this is the case. This would be the only excuse to ever play lottery without feeling ashamed, because the game is unethical.