Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many people are making a resolution to spend less on the lottery in 2013?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Pick4ologist.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: January 15, 2013, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just was wondering how many people have made a New Years Resolution to spend less on the lottery? This would include both draw tickets and scratch tickets. I've been spending less on the lottery for about 3 months now (the exception being the new scratch tickets in my state that came out a week ago had to try those). It feels good not to feel compelled to buy MM and PB with the Multiplier and Powerplay twice a week for both games. I've stopped playing PB for the last few months.  In my state of Mass the beginning of 2012 I was playing Mass Cash (that's a 7 day a week game), Lucky for Life (a twice a week game) both the MM and PB games twice a week.  I wasn't playing Mass Cash daily but was playing the others pretty consistently. That wasn't counting on scratch tickets I would play. I've been on a budget for awhile now and feel so much better about just playing the MM occasionally now. I've stopped playing Lucky for Life drawings and play Mass Cash every now and then. I've cut down on scratch tickets as well.  It feels better to know that I'm not wasting so much money chasing a dream that may never come to fruition. I will continue to play the lottery (as it's still the only way I would ever have financial security, should that miracle happen) just playing more responsibly and feeling better about myself in the process. Wondering what other's are planning to do this year with their lottery spending?

Capecod,Mass
    United States
    Member #137160
    December 28, 2012
    50 Posts
    Posted: January 15, 2013, 10:25 am - IP Logged

I never play Mass Cash. One of my relative plays it regularly.  I play MM,powerball and Lucky for life twice a week.  Start to play scratch tickets recently, no any luck though.

Trying to put $20 a week for jackpot games and $20 for scratch tickets this year.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #123290
      February 17, 2012
      3052 Posts
      Posted: January 15, 2013, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Glad your feeling good about spending smart this yearSmiley

I spent about $200 last year (started in Febuary same time I joined this forum).

Right now it's not spending because compared to what others have spent last year,

my amount is chump change lol.

I'll probably spend around the same amount, we'll see how this year goes.

I definitely plan on winning more!

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
        Athens
        Greece
        Member #133234
        September 24, 2012
        188 Posts
        Posted: January 15, 2013, 10:41 am - IP Logged

I spent about $200 last year (started in Febuary same time I joined this forum).

Right now it's not spending because compared to what others have spent last year,

> Glad your feeling good about spending smart this yearSmiley

I second that...

To be honest though, I'll "invest" even more than last year.

6/49 dis(assembly)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: January 15, 2013, 10:54 am - IP Logged

I've already spent more than I planned so I'll just have to make up the difference by winning more often.Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: January 15, 2013, 11:00 am - IP Logged

I never play Mass Cash. One of my relative plays it regularly.  I play MM,powerball and Lucky for life twice a week.  Start to play scratch tickets recently, no any luck though.

Trying to put $20 a week for jackpot games and $20 for scratch tickets this year.

Hi Massplayer,

Have you had any luck with Lucky for Life? I'm a bit upset about that game because the main prize is fantastic but if you get 5 numbers you only win 25,000 as opposed to getting all 5 numbers with Mass Cash and winning 100, 000.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: January 15, 2013, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Hi Nikkicute,

Thanks for your response. That's great that you only spent 200 dollars last year. You really do keep yourself on a budget. Hope you have a good year with your winnings this year.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: January 15, 2013, 11:05 am - IP Logged

You have to use strict discipline when it comes to your budgeting for the lottery.

Otherwise the ramifications on your drinking money could be disastrous.

And nobody wants that.

Be diligent, people.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: January 15, 2013, 11:11 am - IP Logged

You have to use strict discipline when it comes to your budgeting for the lottery.

And nobody wants that.

Be diligent, people.

Hi rdgnr,

Your responses always make me laugh.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: January 15, 2013, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Hi rdgnr,

Your responses always make me laugh.

Hey shyguitar, I know, that's what they said about my SAT's too.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                      NY
                      United States
                      Member #121961
                      January 21, 2012
                      3157 Posts
                      Posted: January 15, 2013, 11:34 am - IP Logged

And nobody wants that.

Be diligent, people.

I Agree!   Thats why i always ask for the 30 pack before i get tickets.

Trying to spend less but it ain't happening. Had some decent luck so i'll keep going. BTW i'll probably be playing scratchers in Mass soon and will post results later. GL

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                        Columbus, Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #128906
                        June 5, 2012
                        592 Posts
                        Posted: January 15, 2013, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I will spend my usual $24 a week... I do MM in every drawing

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                          Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                          United States
                          Member #50210
                          March 1, 2007
                          843 Posts
                          Posted: January 15, 2013, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

I don't spend much on lotteries and am not here to shed a negative light on those who do. Playing the lottery should strictly be for entertainment and not a last grasp to get funds to pay your bills. Having spoken frequently with a local retailer, he tells me many will drop $100-$200 a week on tickets with many being scratch offs. Half that amount could easily go toward a retirement account which would get you several millions tax free when you retire assuming you had it invested in a Roth IRA for 25-30 years with modest returns.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: January 15, 2013, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

my lotto spends should be similar, but i promised to try and cut down on keno this year, not going well so far.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Columbia, SC
                              United States
                              Member #135285
                              November 21, 2012
                              584 Posts
                              Posted: January 15, 2013, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just was wondering how many people have made a New Years Resolution to spend less on the lottery? This would include both draw tickets and scratch tickets. I've been spending less on the lottery for about 3 months now (the exception being the new scratch tickets in my state that came out a week ago had to try those). It feels good not to feel compelled to buy MM and PB with the Multiplier and Powerplay twice a week for both games. I've stopped playing PB for the last few months.  In my state of Mass the beginning of 2012 I was playing Mass Cash (that's a 7 day a week game), Lucky for Life (a twice a week game) both the MM and PB games twice a week.  I wasn't playing Mass Cash daily but was playing the others pretty consistently. That wasn't counting on scratch tickets I would play. I've been on a budget for awhile now and feel so much better about just playing the MM occasionally now. I've stopped playing Lucky for Life drawings and play Mass Cash every now and then. I've cut down on scratch tickets as well.  It feels better to know that I'm not wasting so much money chasing a dream that may never come to fruition. I will continue to play the lottery (as it's still the only way I would ever have financial security, should that miracle happen) just playing more responsibly and feeling better about myself in the process. Wondering what other's are planning to do this year with their lottery spending?

I don't make resolutions. I never stick to them anyway. However, I have thought about changing my stradegy a bit some in the future. Instead of playing with a few bucks every day, I'm thinking on playing less often but with more lines....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney