Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 2:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning Lottery is so freaking hard

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #103217
December 31, 2010
96 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2013, 9:06 am - IP Logged

Winning lottery is so freaking hard. As if we didn't know it!

I have come to realize that no matter what strategy you apply, winning lottery is so far out of your control. I mean most of the time, you can't even match 1 or 2 numbers forget about 6. Even after eliminating half of the numbers you can't match 2 numbers. That's how hard it is. So when someone wins it, it's got be pure luck, there is no other way to explain it. What do you think about this blabbering?

notmyday's avatar - 8ball
    florida
    United States
    Member #136668
    December 16, 2012
    346 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2013, 9:15 am - IP Logged

i go buy 5 quick picks and eliminate them from the rest of numbers because i dont generally have any numbers on them then i wheel whats left and hit alot of three numbers and on occasion a 4 number.

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
      New Hampshire
      United States
      Member #136492
      December 12, 2012
      325 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2013, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Winning lottery is so freaking hard. As if we didn't know it!

I have come to realize that no matter what strategy you apply, winning lottery is so far out of your control. I mean most of the time, you can't even match 1 or 2 numbers forget about 6. Even after eliminating half of the numbers you can't match 2 numbers. That's how hard it is. So when someone wins it, it's got be pure luck, there is no other way to explain it. What do you think about this blabbering?

Ya Jag it is tough, especially if you're playing PB or MM. Unless you have a hefty lotto budget, or are part of a lotto club you're gonna have many such frustrations. I usually avoid those games until the JP exceeds a quarter billion and then I'll get caught up in all the hype. Have you played any of the smaller state or regional games? They offer you much better odds to at least win something, which then gives you more confidence to keep playing.

For what it's worth my strategy is pretty simple. I have no loyalty to any of the jackpot games, I play whichever one that at the time has the best odds AND has a big enough JP for me to retire on which in my case is only about 3.5 million. Some of the ones I play (Hot Lotto, Lucky for Life, Tri State Megabucks Plus) also have good enough odds to win the smaller prizes that you can really reduce your out of pocket cost of playing.

Well good luck to you. Sounds like your confidence is low now but keep on keeping on and don't give up!

NY
        United States
        Member #103217
        December 31, 2010
        96 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2013, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Ya Jag it is tough, especially if you're playing PB or MM. Unless you have a hefty lotto budget, or are part of a lotto club you're gonna have many such frustrations. I usually avoid those games until the JP exceeds a quarter billion and then I'll get caught up in all the hype. Have you played any of the smaller state or regional games? They offer you much better odds to at least win something, which then gives you more confidence to keep playing.

For what it's worth my strategy is pretty simple. I have no loyalty to any of the jackpot games, I play whichever one that at the time has the best odds AND has a big enough JP for me to retire on which in my case is only about 3.5 million. Some of the ones I play (Hot Lotto, Lucky for Life, Tri State Megabucks Plus) also have good enough odds to win the smaller prizes that you can really reduce your out of pocket cost of playing.

Well good luck to you. Sounds like your confidence is low now but keep on keeping on and don't give up!

Thanks I appreciate it. I don't play PB or MM. I'm in NY and I play Sweet Million. Because that is all I need and odds of winning are 1 in 3.8 million. which is much better than some of the crazy ones. In SM you chose 6 numbers out of 40. unlike in PB or MM where you have to choose 6 out of 40 etc

Columbia, SC
          United States
          Member #135285
          November 21, 2012
          584 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2013, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I sure hope i can win the Powerball before California joins in, lol.

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
            Member #134627
            November 2, 2012
            1004 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2013, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

When you divide all numbers in half, and this group has no match at all, that only means that you should have simultaneously played another half. Although, matching numbers can be spread out among your several tickets, but chance is higher to get them together instead playing all the numbers at once.

Also try and do simple methods, like subtracting 1,2,3,2,1 from previous numbers, or increasing/ decreasing numbers by 10, or creating combination where numbers are near to previous numbers. If you take a look at the list of winning numbers years back, like FL Fantasy 5 has, you can evens see that if you play certain combination that won already , then you'll hit 2, or 3 numbers during a week or so. Someday I did  use three numbers in a middle or to the side, etc. of combination that won already, and the rest made up, and  there were nice hits during 4,5 days, a week, or 10 days, sometimes they were 5 number hits. Of course I did it all on paper, looking at the lists.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: January 19, 2013, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I am just starting to appreciate how hard winning is. I used to think that by my 10th year of playing I would have hit something worthwhile. The 10th year anniversary is coming fast and I have nothing to show for my efforts. I am now playing the smaller games more often as msharkey2001  advices. I now play Hot Lotto, Megabucks Doubler, Tri-states Megabucks, Lucky For Life, Mass Cash more often than I used to. When Hot Lotto changes the matrix as has been announced thereby increasing the odds of players losing, I will give up on it permanently Blue Thinking

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                Member #134627
                November 2, 2012
                1004 Posts
                Posted: January 19, 2013, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

You mean you had small wins in 10 years, but you are frustrated about not winning big, eys? 

Because if you do not even get small wins on occasion, then you should play not so frequently, but buy about 10 tickets at once, when you do play. Use all the numbers available.  Since most of them, as you claim, will not have matching numbers, then one or two tickets will. May be you are just one step away from getting big wins.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: January 19, 2013, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I sure hope i can win the Powerball before California joins in, lol.

lol same here....

I Love Pink & Green 1908

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3315 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2013, 5:55 am - IP Logged

yeah the only thing in your control , is how much you spend.  the 1st tickets is the best odds increase you will get,

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

yeah the only thing in your control , is how much you spend.  the 1st tickets is the best odds increase you will get,

"the 1st tickets is the best odds increase you will get."

Very well put!

That should go into the Lottery Post Book of Quotes, Guidelines and Conventional Wisdom (Which Todd should start writing in his spare time).  Big Grin

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2013, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

That's why I will play the lottery today.

Marana Arizona
                          United States
                          Member #138137
                          January 20, 2013
                          3 Posts
                          Posted: January 20, 2013, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I know.i have been playing one set of numbers on the pick for twenty six years and nothing yet I would like to quit playing them but then I think they will come up as soon as I do

Scott

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: January 20, 2013, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I know.i have been playing one set of numbers on the pick for twenty six years and nothing yet I would like to quit playing them but then I think they will come up as soon as I do

Oh, they will, guaranteed.

Then if you start playing them again for a few more years and stop, they'll come up again.

You might try putting a phony Obituary for yourself in the paper to throw them off.

Let me know if it works.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: January 20, 2013, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

If you would like, I will take over the numbers and start playing them?