Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

considering buying a pack of tickets in PA?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 years ago by retrievers3.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pittsburgh, PA
United States
Member #138195
January 21, 2013
6 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2013, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Thought I would share my experience with buying whole packs of tickets with my friends.  First off, my friends and I thought long and hard before we finally took the plunge and bought a pack of $5 tickets (60 in a pack) for $300.  The three of us put in $100 each and settled in for a night of some beers, music (we are products of the 70s), and our imposing stack, dead middle of the table, lucky tokens, and what-nots in place.  We chose the Aces ticket for our thrill ride.  Ticket #000--nothing.  Ticket #001--we won $500!  Needless to say, we were hooked.  Got our money back and then some.  The rest of the pack were incidental winners:  some $5s, $10s, etc.  In all, we won $640. 

Well, we have done this around 10 times now.  The pack noted above was the most we have won in a pack, however.  If a pattern can be noted with the relatively small amount of times we tried, it is that there are COLD PACKS and HOT PACKS, some lukewarm.  We tried the Aces again and only won $140, so there is a BASE PACK of $140 with the Aces.  The individual $500 on the initial pack of tickets made it a HOT PACK (lukewarm?) We tried the Price is Right $5 tickets, getting COLD PACKS, and their base seems to be $175 with only small wins in our pack.  I still think the seasonals are or should be the best tickets, like Mother's Day, Halloween, etc.  I do better buying them one at a time, however. 

Also, rather discouraging, is the fact that we have found that 11 (yes, 11) tickets in a row may be losing tickets.  On the other hand, we have had 3 tickets in a row win.  Go figure!  Our experience with the $5 packs, on average, is that between 14 and 18 tickets will win out of the 60.  We've tried the $2 packs, Sweet Winnings, (150 tickets in a pack for $300), and the average is about 30 to 32 tickets win.  We won $200 on that pack, so half of our money back plus #8 was $50.  I keep track of all the winning tickets in a Steelers (yeah!!!) notebook.  Would love to try the $10 and $20 packs some day, but that is $600! The $20 packs only have 30 tickets, so if my averages are right, you would at least make back around $300 and the hopes of winning REAL big!

So, a night out with good friends, with the pleasure center of your brain on high alert, I would say is worth it.  I suppose you have to realize that at the worst you spent $50 to $60 (if you don't get a HOT PACK) for a night out.  We don't go to the bars anymore with the looming threat of a DUI, so we stay in and have a blast (when we win!).  We are just your average Joes and Janes.  None of us make over $30,000 a year.  We work hard and feel we deserve to spend $100 (sometimes we save up winning tickets to buy the pack).  It can't just be bills, bills, bills, and responsibility.

Thanks for listening.  Glad I found this forum to converse with all you lottery dreamers.  Funny, but you can't just tell everybody about your guilty pleasures, huh?

Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #109275
    April 9, 2011
    1495 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2013, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Thought I would share my experience with buying whole packs of tickets with my friends.  First off, my friends and I thought long and hard before we finally took the plunge and bought a pack of $5 tickets (60 in a pack) for $300.  The three of us put in $100 each and settled in for a night of some beers, music (we are products of the 70s), and our imposing stack, dead middle of the table, lucky tokens, and what-nots in place.  We chose the Aces ticket for our thrill ride.  Ticket #000--nothing.  Ticket #001--we won $500!  Needless to say, we were hooked.  Got our money back and then some.  The rest of the pack were incidental winners:  some $5s, $10s, etc.  In all, we won $640. 

Well, we have done this around 10 times now.  The pack noted above was the most we have won in a pack, however.  If a pattern can be noted with the relatively small amount of times we tried, it is that there are COLD PACKS and HOT PACKS, some lukewarm.  We tried the Aces again and only won $140, so there is a BASE PACK of $140 with the Aces.  The individual $500 on the initial pack of tickets made it a HOT PACK (lukewarm?) We tried the Price is Right $5 tickets, getting COLD PACKS, and their base seems to be $175 with only small wins in our pack.  I still think the seasonals are or should be the best tickets, like Mother's Day, Halloween, etc.  I do better buying them one at a time, however. 

Also, rather discouraging, is the fact that we have found that 11 (yes, 11) tickets in a row may be losing tickets.  On the other hand, we have had 3 tickets in a row win.  Go figure!  Our experience with the $5 packs, on average, is that between 14 and 18 tickets will win out of the 60.  We've tried the $2 packs, Sweet Winnings, (150 tickets in a pack for $300), and the average is about 30 to 32 tickets win.  We won $200 on that pack, so half of our money back plus #8 was $50.  I keep track of all the winning tickets in a Steelers (yeah!!!) notebook.  Would love to try the $10 and $20 packs some day, but that is $600! The $20 packs only have 30 tickets, so if my averages are right, you would at least make back around $300 and the hopes of winning REAL big!

So, a night out with good friends, with the pleasure center of your brain on high alert, I would say is worth it.  I suppose you have to realize that at the worst you spent $50 to $60 (if you don't get a HOT PACK) for a night out.  We don't go to the bars anymore with the looming threat of a DUI, so we stay in and have a blast (when we win!).  We are just your average Joes and Janes.  None of us make over $30,000 a year.  We work hard and feel we deserve to spend $100 (sometimes we save up winning tickets to buy the pack).  It can't just be bills, bills, bills, and responsibility.

Thanks for listening.  Glad I found this forum to converse with all you lottery dreamers.  Funny, but you can't just tell everybody about your guilty pleasures, huh?

Good post.. I have gotten enough Packs of PA tickets(mainly $5 and $20). I have actually never had a pack pay more than I spent. Generally my $5 rolls returned $160 and the $20 rolls around $320.  I think you have the right mentality though. Splitting with a few friends. Yeah your wins won't be as high(due to the split), but your losses won't be as bad either.  I have noticed with my rolls that it seems 1st 10 or last 10($5 rolls) pay back decent. One time I was at $80 with 10 tickets to go. I was all set to post in here and go off and sure enough the last 10 paid $90.  As I look over at my Warner jersey and await my Boldin jersey, it pained me to reply to a post that mentioned the Steelers, but it was a good read. Keep up the fun time...

SE PA
      United States
      Member #93582
      July 3, 2010
      1866 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2013, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Both my rolls had 11 losers in a row in them, and both also had a separate 9 in a row loser streak. One roll was lukewarm and the other base or cold. I realize that there won't be a win every 4 or 5 tickets, but it should be more even than how they do it. Rolls are definitely best done split like you did. Congrats on the $500. I always do the worst on seasonal tickets except for the V Day and Mother's Day tickets.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3157 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Agree on the seasonal tickets. They should pay out alot faster. Are you guys playing more.

NE Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #129347
          June 16, 2012
          57 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2013, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

My experiences have been pretty much the same buying PA rolls. Of the 8 or 9 times I purchased a whole roll, I've only made a profit twice, and only because I had one or two large winners in the pack. I find that the seasonal tickets have paid out more. My two profit rolls were both seasonal tickets (1 valentines day and 1 christmas). Overall, this is a pretty great forum. No judgements, relevant posts, only minor arguments, and many different perspectives on winning/losing/overall strategy. Keep us updated on your future roll endeavors!

The land of Canals
            United States
            Member #137589
            January 7, 2013
            168 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2013, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

This sounds like a fun evening-might try it myself. Disney

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
             Steve Martin

Cool

Pittsburgh, PA
              United States
              Member #138195
              January 21, 2013
              6 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2013, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Agree on the seasonal tickets. They should pay out alot faster. Are you guys playing more.

I guess I am playing about the same.  I try to "behave" myself and take one ticket home after work (one before work, too).  After all, it only takes ONE ticket to win, right?  However, if I buy ten $3 tickets, I most likely will win on ONE ticket (ha!).  You have to be cautious here in our town, as we have the notorious "ticket hawks" that will frequnt certain retailers and stand in the store to scrach until they win.  Don't want to buy after they hit the store! 

Anyhow, I was thinking of getting a pack for this weekend, having some winning tickets saved up, so I will only have to add a bit.  We have a new ticket out here in PA, the $5 Lucky in Love (ironic for me) Vaentine's Day ticket.  So far, I have done okay on the few that I have bought but of course not all winners.  I got $5 a few times; a $10 with double hearts for $20; a $20 with double hearts for $40; one number match for $50.  I like the seasonal tickets because they print so much less than the regular $5.  When I checked the PA lottery website, I believe it was 4.8 million for these seasonal ones compared to around 10 to 14 million on the regular $5 tickets.  I will let you all know the outcome if I take the plunge!  To note, the first time my friends and I went to purchase a pack, we were a bit nervous--will they actually sell us a whole pack?--apparently, it was no big deal.  The retailer we went to said they actually do it pretty regularly.  Well, wish me luck!!!!