Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Louisiana Lottery Vending Machine

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 4 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
699 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2013, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Today I saw something I hadn't seen in Louisiana before, a lottery vending machine. I know they've been in use in other states for a long time, but not in Louisiana.

I saw one today being installed at the Albertson's supermarket on Government Street in Baton Rouge. I spoke to the people putting in the machine and was told it was the first one in the state. It sold Scratch Offs, Powerball, Lotto, Pick 3, 4, Easy 5, and MegaMillions. It can also check tickets up to $25. I thought it was pretty cool to see. Sorry I didn't get a photo, but the store doesn't allow anyone to take pictures inside. I've been looking for a news story on it and haven't found one yet, nor is it on the Louisiana Lottery site. Hopefully an announcement will be made soon.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10345 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Good luck with the machines, I hope yours work better than those in Illinois.

I don't know how many times I've wound up buying scratchers because the machines wouldn't take a playslip it's supposed to be able to take.

I don't know if it's the store that sets them like that or just a bug in the machines but it happens pretty often.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2013, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how many times I've wound up buying scratchers because the machines wouldn't take a playslip it's supposed to be able to take.

I don't know if it's the store that sets them like that or just a bug in the machines but it happens pretty often.

That's absolutely maddening!  I hate scratchers and resent the he!! out of being forced to buy them because my money is already in the machine that's not working.

There was one at Fred Meyer that always had something wrong with it.  Either it wouldn't take the play slip or it wouldn't scan a winning ticket barcode (to apply it to my balance, or to replay the ticket) or I'd get a message that the product is not available which I assume means it's out of paper to print the ticket.

I'd complain to the store every time and they'd say they'd get right over to fix it.  Sometimes it would work next time sometimes it wouldn't.  Finally a guy at the CS counter told me it wasn't their problem and it probably wouldn't be fixed.  Finally, someone being honest with me.  So I emailed the lottery and wrote a book about my problems with that particular machine over the last 6 months and all the complaining I'd done to the store CS without much result.  They replied quickly and said it would be taken care of.

It took 2 or 3 weeks to fix, but it's now been 3 or 4 months with nary a problem. 

I'd try contacting your state lottery if I were you.  It's in their best interests to have the machines working, and if it's the store's responsibility to do that, they'll get on the retailer's back for you.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2013, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

HoLeeKau,

Yeah, it is maddening sometimes. We've only got two in our area, I'm pretty well in the boonies.

One is at a supermarket and the other at a cenvenience store. When they first put them in the one at the convenience store worked like a charm, now it hasn't taken playslips for months.

At first the one at the grocery store was in essence a glorified scratcher machine (nothing wlse worked), now it's on again off again for draw games.

Re: Scanning winners, Illinois anyway. since they put these machines in there is a code on front of the scratchers that has to be scratched off to get scanned. They don't use the UPC barcodes to determine winners on the scanners anymore. these codes are black and white and look like a horizontal bar model of those things scanned by cell phones.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2013, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Happens out here sometimes too, with play slips.

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2013, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

That's absolutely maddening!  I hate scratchers and resent the he!! out of being forced to buy them because my money is already in the machine that's not working.

There was one at Fred Meyer that always had something wrong with it.  Either it wouldn't take the play slip or it wouldn't scan a winning ticket barcode (to apply it to my balance, or to replay the ticket) or I'd get a message that the product is not available which I assume means it's out of paper to print the ticket.

I'd complain to the store every time and they'd say they'd get right over to fix it.  Sometimes it would work next time sometimes it wouldn't.  Finally a guy at the CS counter told me it wasn't their problem and it probably wouldn't be fixed.  Finally, someone being honest with me.  So I emailed the lottery and wrote a book about my problems with that particular machine over the last 6 months and all the complaining I'd done to the store CS without much result.  They replied quickly and said it would be taken care of.

It took 2 or 3 weeks to fix, but it's now been 3 or 4 months with nary a problem. 

I'd try contacting your state lottery if I were you.  It's in their best interests to have the machines working, and if it's the store's responsibility to do that, they'll get on the retailer's back for you.

Happened to me once, and only once. Lost $40. on scratchers...........

Now I ALWAYS make sure it accepts plays slips BEFORE inserting cash.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2013, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2013, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

I'm fortunate to have found a QT near me where an employee has the keys and is happy to reload paper and unjam bills from the validator. I'm not sure if he took a class or what but he really knows the machine.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I prefer to use the vending machine when I'm spending more than $20.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: January 25, 2013, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

We need legislation that allows you to smack clerks upside the head.

Baton Rouge, LA
                      United States
                      Member #4602
                      May 7, 2004
                      699 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2013, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I gave the machine a try today and it worked fine. I bought some tickets with playslips and some quick picks and there were no problems. I did have to let it scan my driver's license first but other than that, it was fine. I scanned 3 tickets also, but they weren't winners. The only odd thing is the font is different from the vending machine as opposed to regular terminals.

I was told that was the first lottery vending machine in Louisiana, maybe it will be lucky.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: February 1, 2013, 8:55 am - IP Logged

I gave the machine a try today and it worked fine. I bought some tickets with playslips and some quick picks and there were no problems. I did have to let it scan my driver's license first but other than that, it was fine. I scanned 3 tickets also, but they weren't winners. The only odd thing is the font is different from the vending machine as opposed to regular terminals.

I was told that was the first lottery vending machine in Louisiana, maybe it will be lucky.

Hope you win BIG PrisonerSix......Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40341 Posts
                          Posted: February 1, 2013, 9:08 am - IP Logged

We need legislation that allows you to smack clerks upside the head.

hehehehehehehe

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"