Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Saw something amazing yesterday

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mduffy.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #138278
January 23, 2013
2 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2013, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

I had been reading about math teachers who use baited hook scratch cards to predict the winners from the losers, and win millions. However it takes an inside man, a cashier to let you sift through them to only buy the probable winners, so I never did it. It also takes some investment time and money to crack the codes of the cards of your state in the first place. Well I was in line yesterday to get a lotto ticket or ten, and a man with a 4 inch stack of a $10 game of the same scratch card hands them to the cashier, who says 'how many did you win?' and he says 'all of them', then the cashier winks and smiles, says 'imagine that'. He proceeds to cash in $582 in wins. In my state you can can in up to $599 at a time before you must pay taxes. So as if I am not jealous and amazed enough, the lady at the other window takes the next customer, another man. He pulls another stack of the same game out of his pocket and cashes in 30 tickets totaling $598. As he walks past winner number one, winner number one says 'see you won more the me' and he responds 'by $16', and laughs. Then they leave. Now the gamblers I know follow all 'unexpected wins' with buying more of their favorite game. They walked right past the ticket machine. So half of me is fuming, becuase I buy my losing tickets of the same game from this store, and now I know why I never win. The other side of me is thinking 'hmmmm'. Has anyone cracked any baited hook codes already on Arizona Scratchers? Anyone want to work with me? Ethically speakins, is it sick and wrong I want to do this? Or is it retarded and self defeating that I not? Advice? Oh and legally speaking, there is no law against it as far as I can tell?

Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #109275
    April 9, 2011
    1495 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2013, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Curious. When you buy your tickets, do they always come sequentially?  I am not sure there is a rule, but I would think selling tickets out of order would be against the rules. Imagine walking up and saying you want  tickets 7-11-13-21 etc because you like those #'s. I am in tight with my store owner and I am sure even he wouldnt do that for me. My guess would be if they have a system, the cashiers pull them asides one by one for them. Guess this would be different then counting losers as they go off codes or whatever. In Pa, all you can see on a ticket is Pack #, Game# and ticket#. I am not sure how that could ever be used to devise a system without unscracting parts of the tickets.

Luckytreasure's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      Port Orange, Florida
      United States
      Member #133398
      September 28, 2012
      163 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2013, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion they each just bought an entire roll and those were the winners.  It's hit or miss with tickets. I do not think the store clerks know if a ticket is a winner or not. And I do not think you can pick or choose which tickets you buy. i could be wrong but I have played tickets for many many years and have become friends with clerks. I know if they knew a big winner was in a roll they would tell me.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2013, 6:27 am - IP Logged

I agree with Luckytreasure they may have bought an entire roll.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Skippack, PA
          United States
          Member #139391
          February 21, 2013
          87 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2013, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

If the retailers were ever caught selling tickets out of order, they would quickly be in jeopardy of losing their license to sell tickets.

That's something they don't want to mess with.  I'd be really surprized if they're selling out of order.

Louisville, KY
            United States
            Member #15734
            May 20, 2005
            203 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2013, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

To be clear, retailers are not allowed to cash single ticket wins of over $599. Cumulative wins of over $599 may be cashed, as long as no one single ticket crosses that threshold.

Any retailer selling tickets out of order would lose their license if caught. It's most likely they bought a book apiece.

Holmes
              United States
              Member #136338
              December 8, 2012
              142 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2013, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

To be clear, retailers are not allowed to cash single ticket wins of over $599. Cumulative wins of over $599 may be cashed, as long as no one single ticket crosses that threshold.

Any retailer selling tickets out of order would lose their license if caught. It's most likely they bought a book apiece.

I cashed a single ticket 1k at a mom n pop trading post, three days ago. in pa I believe retailers can't cash over $2500 on single ticket.