Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How sick would it be??

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Im thinking that big jackpot in Va., it was bought at the airport...so it could be literally anybody who passed thru there....What if they didnt cash their ticket til like a month before it was to expire...does it collect interest while it just sits there waiting for the lucky owner to come claim it?...Me personally it would be hard for me not to hop in my car the next day the office was open and cash that bad boy in....but if you could wait til the last minute...everybody thinking that nobody is going to claim it...and at the last month they just pop up and claim it.....but does anyone know? Does it collect interest when waiting that long to be claimed?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2013, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Nope, you get what you won.

You may be losing interest though by not claiming it sooner.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2013, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I think the only thing anyone would feel sick about is finding out they won after the ticket expired. I keep all my tickets in a safe place and I check them myself the night of the drawing or the day after, so I would claim the prize ASAP but to answer your question, the cash value stays the same if you collect the prize the day after the draw or 11 months after the draw. If someone waited until the last day to collect, you could say they would have missed out on a year's worth of interest if they collected sooner because in theory, you could have collected the prize and then deposited the money at the bank and then gain some interest.

Anyone who has recently shopped around for a bank CD (certificate of deposit) will tell you interest rates at the bank are a complete joke, so I wouldn't feel too bad for missing out on a little bit of interest. You could get higher rates of return if you put the money in the stock market but then you would have to accept the risks associated with the stock market.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Im thinking that big jackpot in Va., it was bought at the airport...so it could be literally anybody who passed thru there....What if they didnt cash their ticket til like a month before it was to expire...does it collect interest while it just sits there waiting for the lucky owner to come claim it?...Me personally it would be hard for me not to hop in my car the next day the office was open and cash that bad boy in....but if you could wait til the last minute...everybody thinking that nobody is going to claim it...and at the last month they just pop up and claim it.....but does anyone know? Does it collect interest when waiting that long to be claimed?

It has happened before and the only ones sick about it were claiming they bought the ticket and lost it and hoping if no one else claimed it, the lottery would reward them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6305 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2013, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

I don't think you earn interest just the amount of the jackpot.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            42062 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2013, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I'd hop right back on the plane to Virginia,

HyperBe Happy.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: February 9, 2013, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

The only thing it collects is dust. It sitting in someones carry-on bag right now. (in the closet)  lol.

Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6305 Posts
                Posted: February 10, 2013, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I'd hop right back on the plane to Virginia,

Thumbs Up Could you imagine being on a Flight & you check your tickets the Air Marshall would have to restrain me.... Lol

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: February 10, 2013, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Thumbs Up Could you imagine being on a Flight & you check your tickets the Air Marshall would have to restrain me.... Lol

lol. I would sit quietly and think to myself, "its about flippin time" lol. lol.

Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6305 Posts
                    Posted: February 10, 2013, 9:52 am - IP Logged

lol. I would sit quietly and think to myself, "its about flippin time" lol. lol.

Lol I would get off at the next stop.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19964 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

i would go, no maybe i would wait, no maybe i would go, no maybe i would wait.

B2B, you would be waiting to win as long as you are trying to get on the show. LONG TIMEGreen laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19964 Posts
                        Posted: February 10, 2013, 10:15 am - IP Logged

so winning the Lottery still wouldn't change your LIFE LOL nothing knew there.

Let it Snow Snowman

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          42062 Posts
                          Posted: February 10, 2013, 10:17 am - IP Logged

I would be numb, I would wonder if I was just dreaming.

HyperBe Happy.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3316 Posts
                            Posted: February 10, 2013, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

hey the state probably puts the winings in an over night REPO market and  grabs a small % for itself while waiting the days or weeks, until  winners claim, why would they  hand over that  benefit without being told to.  From what i here, bqanks will  send their reserves of cash there so its actually making a small % over night. instead of holding onto it and earning nothing.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                              Joplin MO
                              United States
                              Member #138489
                              January 28, 2013
                              190 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2013, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

hey the state probably puts the winings in an over night REPO market and  grabs a small % for itself while waiting the days or weeks, until  winners claim, why would they  hand over that  benefit without being told to.  From what i here, bqanks will  send their reserves of cash there so its actually making a small % over night. instead of holding onto it and earning nothing.

I'm guessing that's the way it works.