Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Lottery Games to Play ?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 4 years ago by duffy$.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
PA
United States
Member #106932
February 27, 2011
24 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2013, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to get some input or a real disscussion going on what games to play or how much people spend on what they play or how they spend it. Ok ... I live in PA and for the last 6 or 7 years I have concentrated on playing the five large jackpot games that the state offers with hardly much success. I have had some small hits with the largest being $1000 on the Match 6 in 2008. Been playing the PA Lottery since it started 40 yrs ago and not much return to show for it. I started off mostly with playing the 3 digit daily number since PA only had a weekly Lotto game back then. Sometimes I would go on a Scratch Off ticket binge and mostly just get the standard 5, 10 or 20 dollar hit.

So somewhere along the way I decided I would drop the small games and concentrate on the larger jackpot games ... by now PA had the Powerball, Match 6, Cash 5, Treasure Hunt and then added Mega Millions a few years back. I had a budget that would fluctuate through the year from $50 to $150 a month but with no real return. In the last month I have been kicking around the idea of pretty much dropping playing all the "jackpot" games and concentrating on one game ... Mega Millions being the one I'm leaning to. Before, my thoughts were to always have a ticket on every jackpot game drawing with the hope that a hit would come my way one day. For several years I covered the Cash 5 every day and the Treasure Hunt every day ... that's $60 a month the the Match 6 is $18 / month and the Powerball and Mega Millions total $36 a month ... depending on the number of draws in the month. That roughly totals $114 a month and the if the Powerball or Mega Millions jackpots were large then I would play some extra tickets if I had the funds or if Cash 5 or Treasure Hunt were large then I'd get some extra tickets on those games.

As I said earlier, I have been thinking of dropping the "idea" of having all the jackpot games covered all the time ... I actually stopped playing the Cash 5 and Treasure Hunt every day late last summer and decided to only play the Cash 5 when the jackpot is $600,000 or more and the Treasure Hunt is $60,000 or more. For instance, tonight the Cash 5 jackpot is $700,000 and I am heading out later to get tickets or at least one ticket. Still thinking that out. I will usually buy $5 in tickets but with not much return have thought maybe one ticket is enough. That works for some people ... just one ticket!

So my thoughts are to try for a month or two, playing ten tickets ($20) on the Mega Millions game. I'm not crazy about Power Ball since the move to $2 ... but not important, I just like Mega Millions over Powerball but after two months maybe I will give Powerball a shot for a month or two with ten tickets ($20).

Of course now we're talking $180 a month on one game and maybe one Match 6 ticket ($18) and some Cash 5 and Treasure Hunt plays with large jackpots and one Powerball ticket or Mega Millions ticket depending on which game I'm buying ten tickets for.

Just was wondering what others are doing in their hunt for a jackpot win ... spread the dollars over several games or throw it mostly on one large jackpot game. I still like the fact that Mega Millions has that bonus of a 3 or 4 number multiplier ... which has been coming out a lot lately. Before it always seemed to be that 2 always coming out but lately there are a lot of 4's showing up ... since Oct or Nov.

Well, just interested in some input, ideas or what others are doing in their state lotteries.

thanks,  mike

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    Lavender Rocket

United States
    Member #124616
    March 16, 2012
    2642 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

hi mike... welcome to LP! 

in my hunt i plan on winning PB on a Saturday during a fullmoon. 

it keeps the expectations in line with my current returns. Star

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #123290
      February 17, 2012
      3051 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2013, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post duffy$ See Ya!

Your budget per month is bigger than mine, I think playing your state games is a good start,

it's just better odds, but don't stop playing the bigger games, you don't have to play them all the time.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2013, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

I believe in keeping your foot in the door on all of 'em (at least one line).

Cuz you never know when and where Lady Luck is gonna smile down on ya and if you ain't there when she does she just moves on.

And she don't come around all that often.

PA
          United States
          Member #106932
          February 27, 2011
          24 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2013, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Hi ... well like I said in my original post, my budget varies from month to month depending on any ROI. I can see missing some games once in awhile if a person is youngish ... 20's, 30's, 40's but as the years start to get a little slim, I hate to pass up on a drawing. I feel like, once it's gone ... it's gone. Like I said, a younger person can pass on some games or maybe a lot of games, they still have "all the time in the world" to get that one big hit ... but someone older looks at things from a different perspective, as the years click away, ... that maybe a jackpot drawing should not be passed up ... you don't have the 10, 20, 30 years to just wait it out.

.... of course if a person is 'flat broke" that week then what does it matter.

I wish I could be lucky enough to win a Powerball jackpot and not even buy a ticket ...

----------------------------------------------------------------
          Willow Street couple wins $86M Powerball

Aug 08, 2008

Talk about good luck.

Barrie Edwards, the winner of the $86.3 million Powerball lottery ticket purchased at the Turkey Hill in Willow Street last week, didn't even pay for his ticket.

It was a promotion. If he purchased two Match 6 tickets, he'd get a free Powerball ticket. 

Those Match 6 tickets won him nothing, but that free Powerball Ticket sure came through.
          ------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's some kind of luck !

PA
            United States
            Member #106932
            February 27, 2011
            24 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2013, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Glad to hear from you rdgrnr ... always enjoy reading your posts from TN, I take it that's Walt Whitman or someone that resembles him ... anyway, that has been my thinking, having all the games covered at all times ... I'm still "fine tuning" everything for March and may just spend $6 (3 tickets) on the 9 Mega Millions drawings next month. I have considered playing the extra dollar on the Power Ball ... I'm still not sure how to play the smaller Cash 5 and Treasure Hunt games ... I may just continue to wait till they get to the $600,000 and $60,000 level and that saves me some bucks for the "larger" jackpot games ... the "life changers". I would like to not go over $150 for the month but I was thinking of just trying something different for a month or two and see what ROI I might have.

... you are so right about "Lady Luck" ... she waits for no one and may never smile on you again, especially an older person!

thanks ...

United States
              Member #137428
              January 3, 2013
              469 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2013, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

stick to the stick to $10 scratch offs

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2013, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP duffy, I would play them allWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #123290
                  February 17, 2012
                  3051 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2013, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP duffy, I would play them allWink

lol we welcome duffy$ to LP but s/he's been a member since 2011.

Just one of those members have don't post much or joined when the jackpot was

big and hardly ever come back.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2013, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Glad to hear from you rdgrnr ... always enjoy reading your posts from TN, I take it that's Walt Whitman or someone that resembles him ... anyway, that has been my thinking, having all the games covered at all times ... I'm still "fine tuning" everything for March and may just spend $6 (3 tickets) on the 9 Mega Millions drawings next month. I have considered playing the extra dollar on the Power Ball ... I'm still not sure how to play the smaller Cash 5 and Treasure Hunt games ... I may just continue to wait till they get to the $600,000 and $60,000 level and that saves me some bucks for the "larger" jackpot games ... the "life changers". I would like to not go over $150 for the month but I was thinking of just trying something different for a month or two and see what ROI I might have.

... you are so right about "Lady Luck" ... she waits for no one and may never smile on you again, especially an older person!

thanks ...

" ... you are so right about "Lady Luck" ... she waits for no one and may never smile on you again, especially an older person!"

Yeah, glad I ain't an older person, they always smell like moth balls or talcum powder.

Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #123290
                      February 17, 2012
                      3051 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2013, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

thanks ...

Older personWhat?

Those are the ones who seem to win a lot!! lol

How many times have you heard someone ask why do old people win the lottery?

Keep playing "older person" keep playing...

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2013, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I would play one line per game for PB, MM. Then on tuesdays, wednesdays, fridays and saturdays I'd play one line of Cash 5. About $10 a week Thumbs Up

Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #123290
                          February 17, 2012
                          3051 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2013, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I would play one line per game for PB, MM. Then on tuesdays, wednesdays, fridays and saturdays I'd play one line of Cash 5. About $10 a week Thumbs Up

I Agree! sounds good, saves money and your still in it to win it.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: February 11, 2013, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! sounds good, saves money and your still in it to win it.

Yes and the hardest thing is to avoid the temptation to go over budget. God knows that's my biggest problem. I try to do advanced play as much as possible.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: February 11, 2013, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

lol we welcome duffy$ to LP but s/he's been a member since 2011.

Just one of those members have don't post much or joined when the jackpot was

big and hardly ever come back.

Lol... My bad we are special NikkiWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908