Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

** The Stupid Tax **

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 4 years ago by CinCin.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #123721
February 27, 2012
11 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2013, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Hi Gang:

Warren Buffett refers to the lottery as the "stupid tax".

In part, it's true.

Nobody that plays the lottery wants to be considered stupid.

I'm stupid because I like to play.

But I'm also aware of reality, randomness and probability.

The one thing almost every lottery player refuses to acknowledge.....let alone believe, is every system, formula, method or strategy starts at zero after every draw.

In other words, every lottery draw starts fresh. There's no such thing as "hot" or "cold" numbers in the typical sense of the word. There may be numbers which have been drawn more frequently - recently. But that does not mean they will be drawn or ignored again in the future.

If you had two super-computers runing side by side. One computer randomly selects a number. And one computer tries to guess what the number will be...even by running thousands of sophisticated, Defense Dept level lottery software programs, would rarely pick a winner.

If you had a thousand horses lined up on a field for a race, and you had to pick three winners, it would be almost impossible, even with historical anaylsis, to pick 3. It's not a good illustration, but it might help paint a picture of randomness.

Anyway......just posting my thoughts. Opposing views are welcome :)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19904 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2013, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

While you're thinking, think about this.  Computers don't think and they don't do anything randomly and they can't do something that no human know how to program them to do. Even when a computer looks like it's picking numbers randomly, it's following a set of instructions that were programmed by a human.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2013, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

What Mr Buffet will not tell you is how else to legally end up with $2M without doing back-breaking work for 40 years earning $50,000 a year.        When I hear that "stupid tax" reference I just think "..Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?.." and shrug off and leave

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2013, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

While you're thinking, think about this.  Computers don't think and they don't do anything randomly and they can't do something that no human know how to program them to do. Even when a computer looks like it's picking numbers randomly, it's following a set of instructions that were programmed by a human.

GIGO

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
          Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2013, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Hi Gang:

In part, it's true.

The one thing almost every lottery player refuses to acknowledge.....let alone believe, is every system, formula, method or strategy starts at zero after every draw.

In other words, every lottery draw starts fresh. There's no such thing as "hot" or "cold" numbers in the typical sense of the word. There may be numbers which have been drawn more frequently - recently. But that does not mean they will be drawn or ignored again in the future.

If you had two super-computers runing side by side. One computer randomly selects a number. And one computer tries to guess what the number will be...even by running thousands of sophisticated, Defense Dept level lottery software programs, would rarely pick a winner.

If you had a thousand horses lined up on a field for a race, and you had to pick three winners, it would be almost impossible, even with historical anaylsis, to pick 3. It's not a good illustration, but it might help paint a picture of randomness.

You are gambling. If you want to bet ten dollars on Pick 3, you are better off at the roulette table.

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
            Member #103786
            January 5, 2011
            486 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2013, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Nah he's just one of those arrogant monopoly players that think they know everything cuz they gotz boardwalk and park place..................

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
              Joplin MO
              United States
              Member #138489
              January 28, 2013
              190 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2013, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

What Mr Buffet will not tell you is how else to legally end up with $2M without doing back-breaking work for 40 years earning $50,000 a year.        When I hear that "stupid tax" reference I just think "..Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?.." and shrug off and leave

I actually prefer to think of my lottery playing as a high risk investment, not a tax ... and sure not a "stupid tax".

I have always been taught:  "The greater the risk, the greater the reward".  If you think about it, there really is nothing different between "investing" and "gambling" ... except the level of risk, and therefore the level of reward.

Columbia, SC
                United States
                Member #135285
                November 21, 2012
                584 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2013, 7:25 am - IP Logged

Very well stated!! I agreeeeeeeeeee

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Chris$'s avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                  P A
                  United States
                  Member #117331
                  October 3, 2011
                  7094 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2013, 7:41 am - IP Logged

Warren buffet got rich in a style much like playing the lottery.
                  smart investing in stocks and other various funds is not much
                  different than a smart play at the right time on a certain set of numbers.
                  as others here have said its all about risk vs. reward.

♠♣♥♦= $$$$

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2013, 8:02 am - IP Logged

I actually prefer to think of my lottery playing as a high risk investment, not a tax ... and sure not a "stupid tax".

I have always been taught:  "The greater the risk, the greater the reward".  If you think about it, there really is nothing different between "investing" and "gambling" ... except the level of risk, and therefore the level of reward.

Thats exactly what it is, a high risk investment.  Its no different from investing in a start up. Who would have thought Lehman Brothers would collapse and took with it billions of investors funds?

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7344 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2013, 9:57 am - IP Logged

Hi Gang:

In part, it's true.

"Warren Buffett refers to the lottery as the "stupid tax"."

The odds of picking the right three digits in a pick 3 game is 1000 to 1 and the payoff is $500 so a dollar bet becomes a 50 cent bet. When Buffet buys stock, he gets dollar for dollar value on his investment when a pick 3 player only gets 50 cents on the dollar.

"If you had a thousand horses lined up on a field for a race, and you had to pick three winners, it would be almost impossible, even with historical anaylsis, to pick 3."

In states using live ball drawings, the pick 3 game is three horse races with 10 horses in each race. If horse bettors were guaranteed $500 for every pick 3, the tracks would lose money.

"It's not a good illustration, but it might help paint a picture of randomness."

There are probably only 5 horses in each race that can win and why the bettor would have the advantage with a guaranteed $500 win. A random outcome doesn't change the fact in either event, 9 of the possible outcomes can't win so any five digit selection in any digit position (or race) has a 50/50 chance of winning.

QPs are randomly generated from all the possible outcomes, but in MM only 2.5% of the outcomes win a prize. Is it better to purchase a random QP with a 97.5% probability of winning nothing or try to create combinations that might be in the 2.5%?

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                        Member #32537
                        February 12, 2006
                        698 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:09 am - IP Logged

the people who call it a tax, should have no place in office, or even voting , there brains should never be allowed 2 control others

they must be as smart as children, its not a tax, never have been

u don't have the govt, with a gun so to speak, at your head, if u dare tell them to take there tax and stick it up there A$% , let alone courts bullying u 2 pay it if u dare don't ,and if u tell courts where to stick it, will same story, guns and force.

ofc its not a tax

anyone that says it is, is a moron, but i think vest majorty of people on this site know this already.

also there always stupid people,aka "poor people they talk about should not be playing but do"

a fool and his money are soon parted

blame lottery all they want

but we don't force stupid people 2 play, they choice 2 be morons , and its there god given american right to spend money how they will wish

stupid people will sure find ways to waste there money when they should spend it on other things with or without a state lottery.

lottery is just a form of entertainment for vest majority of us that are NOT poor and can , omfg u know buy a few and be alright with few bucks"wasted" 

, besides dreamin of how to spend millions is a lot of fun.   people waste there time  on many things, at lest how i do it makes me happy!

also 2 the high risk investment.    rofl its like a 99.9999999999% risk of failer 2 me, but sure lets call it high risk high return, lol

No bees, no honey.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7344 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:10 am - IP Logged

"I actually prefer to think of my lottery playing as a high risk investment, not a tax ... and sure not a "stupid tax"."

Both are risk/reward, but the risk and reward aren't even close comparing the stock market to a pick 3 game. When Buffet buys stock, his risk is probably less than 10% of his investment and his reward goal is probably under 25%. A pick 3 player is risking all of their investment to get a 50,000% reward.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:16 am - IP Logged

GIGO

GEICO

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Hi Gang:

In part, it's true.

MMMMMMMMMMM, sounds strangely like Jimmy4671