Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you at times temporarily abandoned MM & PB for the lower hanging fruit

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PlayToWin47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4107 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2013, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Meaning you have tried to hit the Big Ones and have constantly come up empty handed and resorted to playing the " pick 3, pick 4 "or any of the lesser paying jackpots due to your frustration. I have tried playing for the lesser amounts with more success. How about you?
* California gets PB in April, but the pilot light has been lit.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
    Columbus, Ohio
    United States
    Member #128906
    June 5, 2012
    591 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2013, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

For me, its about being consistent... every drawing for MM and PB.  I have a set number for qp's and my numbers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2013, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I have known of players chasing a pick 4 number for months. Even pick 3 with odds of 1:1000 is a tough cookie to crack. Because of that I stick with the big jp games. What I do is I cut down on lines when I feel unlucky Sulk Off

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2013, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Pick 3 and Pick 4 payoffs will give you a thrill but aren't life changing.

If there was a way to hit them even once or twice a week or so and show a profit, it would be fun but not life changing. I don't consider playing $220 a day to 'win' $40 or $80 or an occassional $290 or $500 winning.

A Pick 5 jackpot game is the same way, a one time usually six figure payoff but that's it.

Our state lotto (Illinois) hasn't had a jackpot that even comes close to the MM start point of $12M in quite a while. The Missouri lotto rarely goes over $3M.

The odds against hitting the Illinois lotto (6/52) are over 20 million to 1.

The odds against hiting 5 + 0 on the 5 + 1 games are about 15 M to 1 better than that.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4107 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2013, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Wow Coin- those odds are disturbing. .
          I used to play heavy on MM and had little to show on my investment,  so l took a hiatus on MM for 2 months and played Daily 4.. put down $10.00 and got a returns of just under $3, 000. Fluke, perhaps but a win nonetheless.
          Not life changing by any stretch of the imagination.

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
            New Hampshire
            United States
            Member #136492
            December 12, 2012
            322 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Meaning you have tried to hit the Big Ones and have constantly come up empty handed and resorted to playing the " pick 3, pick 4 "or any of the lesser paying jackpots due to your frustration. I have tried playing for the lesser amounts with more success. How about you?

Absolutely n-gate. I mostly play the lower (but still retirement level) state and regional jackpot games with much better odds of winning at least something. I usually play 5 lines twice per week and find I can more often than not win at least something almost every drawing. I've been off to a good start so far in 2013 and I'm currently about $10 below break even so it mostly pays for my lotto habit while preserving the dream of the big hit and permanent vacation. I will play PB and MM when it does get above the $200 million mark, but I never hold much hope of even getting the power/mega ball correct for a few bucks.

Smash

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely n-gate. I mostly play the lower (but still retirement level) state and regional jackpot games with much better odds of winning at least something. I usually play 5 lines twice per week and find I can more often than not win at least something almost every drawing. I've been off to a good start so far in 2013 and I'm currently about $10 below break even so it mostly pays for my lotto habit while preserving the dream of the big hit and permanent vacation. I will play PB and MM when it does get above the $200 million mark, but I never hold much hope of even getting the power/mega ball correct for a few bucks.

Smash

You sound like a really good number picker msharkey2001

Have you ever tried p;aying a bonus number till it hits? I'm not saying its a perfect system, but you might be surprised and get BETTER ODDS on hitting the bonus ball. On the MM game to odds are once in 46 trys, so anything BETTER is plus and improves your chances of hitting something big.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2013, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I have never abandoned them because I view loosing as a means to an end.

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                  New Hampshire
                  United States
                  Member #136492
                  December 12, 2012
                  322 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2013, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

You sound like a really good number picker msharkey2001

Have you ever tried p;aying a bonus number till it hits? I'm not saying its a perfect system, but you might be surprised and get BETTER ODDS on hitting the bonus ball. On the MM game to odds are once in 46 trys, so anything BETTER is plus and improves your chances of hitting something big.

Thanks Ronnie316. I had a $100 hit earlier this month which really pads the YTD stats. I like your suggestion of sticking with the same power/mega balls until they hit. My luck hasn't been very good in those games so any good pointers are appreciated. I'll check out the frequency charts for both games and pick bonus balls that have come up most often and stick with those for a while. Good luck with your jackpot game numbers!

Cheers

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2013, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Ronnie316. I had a $100 hit earlier this month which really pads the YTD stats. I like your suggestion of sticking with the same power/mega balls until they hit. My luck hasn't been very good in those games so any good pointers are appreciated. I'll check out the frequency charts for both games and pick bonus balls that have come up most often and stick with those for a while. Good luck with your jackpot game numbers!

Cheers

Thanks, and good point. I learned from LottoBoner that hot numbers are BETTER than cold ones. Other than that I sometimes will give a good old fashioned "hunch" a try for 4-5 draws at a time. Hope you hit one big.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2013, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Cheers

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2013, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Here's the odds and prizes:

MM 5 + 0 3,904,701:1

$1 $250,000  $2 Megalier $1,000,000

PB

5 + 0  5,153,633:1

$2 $1,000,000  $3 Powerplay $2,000,000

IL Lotto

Match 6 of 52: 20,358,520:1

Progresive jackpot, starts at $2,000,000

Since the Illinois lotto jackpot hasn't been getting close to the $12M start point of MM to borrow a term from poker, "the pot ain't right".

For states with higher Pick 6 jackpots like NY, CA, FL, OH and others it would be a different story.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Columbia, SC
                          United States
                          Member #135285
                          November 21, 2012
                          584 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2013, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

I go back and forth on MM and Powerball...sometimes I play neither and just stick to my local lottery...

I NEVER play pick 3 or pick 4..mainly because I simply just do not know very much about  it, but from the little I do know, it seems a little tough to win the larger jackpot prizes, but then again, I could be wrong since I admit not knowing much...I tend  to personally choose to spend my money on games that have bigger jackpots...

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: February 20, 2013, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Things have never looked that bad, I'm just not a fan of pick3 and pick4 games. 

I do play our state Rolling Cash5 game when it's over $200K and Classic Lotto when it's $12M+ but I don't think of them as low hanging fruit.  Lately I've done better playing MM and PB even though my winnings aren't anything to brag about.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: February 20, 2013, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

"Have you at times temporarily abandoned MM & PB for the lower hanging fruit"

Nope...I'm playing for millions...lolWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908