Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you won over $70 mil- would you settle for the lump sum or annual installments

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2013, 10:26 am - IP Logged

I would love to take the annunity....but I dont necessarily trust the accounts they may haver it set up in....I'd rather take the lump then set up my own annunity payments, dividends and such....but hey does anybody know if you can take the annunity and tell them how you want it invested? Or do they already have the money in the account and turn it over to you??

I Agree! I would let a financial advisor tell me IF and WHAT annuity is right for my objectives.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2013, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I do think an annuity is right for ALL meth heads. In fact, it should be required.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2013, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I will be more tempted to do stupid things with the money if I take the lump sum. So, if it's over 100K per year, I would choose the annuity. I am not an overly greedy person who must get it all at once. And I am not a doom and gloom survivalist guy owning a bunker and worrying if the government is going to collapse and unable to pay the next annuity. I can't live like that kind of mentality, with or without winning the lottery.

Besides, remember if you choose annuity, typically you only get 50 to 60% of it before taxes. And you are going to have to pay higher tax bracket.

Just my 2 cents.

"I am not a doom and gloom survivalist guy owning a bunker and worrying if the government is going to collapse and unable to pay the next annuity."

Then go right ahead and put your faith and trust in the politicians and the bankers who have shown themselves to be so trustworthy with our money as of late.

Especially in California.

Good thinkin'! Thumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
        Ontario
        Canada
        Member #137286
        December 31, 2012
        93 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2013, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Taking the annuity makes you a smaller target.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
          Nutley, New Jersey
          United States
          Member #131058
          August 1, 2012
          875 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2013, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

I love these lump sum vs annuity discussions almost as much as I love the monthly, "would you collect anonymously if you win?" discussions.

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2013, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

You take whatever they give you, and call JG Wentworth about a later. LOL

Call JG Werntworth 8 7 7 Cash now....Call now!!!.........LOL LOL

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
              Member #32537
              February 12, 2006
              698 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2013, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

anyone who picks the annual is a moron

there beyond to many smart people who can handle money for u, large investment compies ,  they just charge u more if your to dumb 2 think for your self

but vest majority of them will even tell u take the cash

why is simple, US t bill rates are godly LOW

thats what lottery annual installments is, just Freaking special T bills

what does that have over taking CASH money all at once,

is the fact all money gets INVESTED pre tax levels, and they only take tax u once u get it back

1 major issue, US treasury rates, are a joke in investment world right now

that's what happens, when us fed reserve buys our own Debt, there no need to offer great rates for investers, we dont need any buying our debt, we just print it out of thin air and buy our own debt"the genius of govt"   has destroyed the market rates.

highest  3%. for 30 years , and MM btw does not even get 30 year rate levels LOL

guest what rate for 1993 was, over 7% LOL for 30 years

now i know in market i can get easy 5% rate just with dividend's ,owning stock of proven dividend compies with proven track records

lets do some math, say i win current jackpot, and pay full  39.6% later, hell i just round it up to 40% "got to pay the lawyers/legal people anywot

anywot  that current 

95,200,000 u just won is now

57,120,000 atfer us fed robs u blind. form current  jackpot, 

alright now these beeps are going to want to spend like crazy, so i just take 7.120,000 out to spend first year so they can buy whatever the hell they want, if they waste over 7m first year, we got a bigger issue then worrying about how to invest the rest.

and we invest 50m

lets say i can get 5% return, mini, thats  thats 2.5 m

vs 3m atfer near 40% tax rate ever y,and yes, making over 3m, u always be in highest tax rates

so 1 thing 2 remb

1 that  annuity is just your MONEY getting paid 2 u

i sure have all stock, it never went away.

turns out long term,its not going to lose value, all proven long term stocks, have gone up in value, they may go up and down over time

but if your getting that  Stock Dividend ever year, and it always goes up, so has stock value over time

so lets just say  this. u  atfer 30 years on pb payments get a total of around 90,000,000 atfer 40% rate u be payin in taxes over long term at current rates

anyway lets look at my 50m cash, lets say somehow stock did so poorly it stayed at same 30 years later"ha"

i sure have my 50m worth of stock, but i have gained  75m in divindend payments

for a total of money of 125m vs your 90m 

now i handicaped the HELL out of my numbers 2,    the fact is  on both payment type's  u can reinvest money u get ever year

but taxes on dividend income etc are factors also in red.

and be beyond a lot more then 125m vs 90m, 

i also didnt factor into whole HOW dividend payments  Go up over time, on big company's with proven track records i be buying

and how avg stock price grows over time"if its a solid company that pays dividend" the market always keep up with value of that stock

the fact is, 

Dividend payments will be a LOT more in 30 years then are today, if i pick right company's to own, etc

if divindend payments go up over time,  so ofc it goes up to current markets in future value the company 

u really just got to get books by billioners/major investers and learn how much these rich beeps make there money off these stocks/kind of investing

the fact is,  i be a LOT richer in 30 years, taking safest dividend company route, then u ever be taking lottery payments over 30 years

its a lot of devil in details,      if u cant handle  taking risk's, even smart ones, just are lazy,and god forbid u can even pay other smart investers to do the work for u, then go for that joke of a US treasury rates that is what we call a lottery annuity.

if god forbid u can make a full time job out of investing a lot of money, and study hard,and use them brain cells, congrats u be a lot richer then lazy folks.

the fact is my math sucks balls as i under value real returns on dividend, as god forbid i give dividend investing more credit then reality

the truth is, u be far richer getting checks form companies that make all great profits/ money and then give it back to the owners"you as the share holder" then us govt pays for money it gets form your lottery win to invest

there is no even doubt now

if the us rate was in high 7% , we could have a intresting back and forth"dividend would sure win"  but u need to factor in hardcore data that go beyond simple minds.

i just have to pull out the say,,,,

25-Year Dividend Increasing Stocks . aka company's that old, who have amazing pulled off dividend payouts going up ever year for last 25 years

aka company's like Coca-Cola Co.  Johnson & Johnson ,  PepsiCo , Exxon Mobil , AT&T   , and i make a mockery of that 7% returns  over 30 years, vs  30 years of these company's etc

its a joke how easy it is to make money LONG term with stocks. if u go for dividend checks and not capital gains route of buy low sell high,  now thats risking it all,  if company pays no dividend, never invest in it, ever, its just  risk, real company's to invest in, always give there share holders money they Make, thats whole freaking idea of owning part of company is it not

some people get losing all there money in stock market people  mixed up with dividend investers

let me make it clear,  am not a capital gains invester, i dont buy LOW to sign high, 

, dividend investers have made off like bandits in long term,  they rofl at stock market losers

they sure got there stock,and been paid many times over long term, there investment back. etc

that is if your not a moron when picking what company's to own ofc, and for that u have to study your self

No bees, no honey.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19875 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

there beyond to many smart people who can handle money for u, large investment compies ,  they just charge u more if your to dumb 2 think for your self

is the fact all money gets INVESTED pre tax levels, and they only take tax u once u get it back

that's what happens, when us fed reserve buys our own Debt, there no need to offer great rates for investers, we dont need any buying our debt, we just print it out of thin air and buy our own debt"the genius of govt"   has destroyed the market rates.

highest  3%. for 30 years , and MM btw does not even get 30 year rate levels LOL

now i know in market i can get easy 5% rate just with dividend's ,owning stock of proven dividend compies with proven track records

lets do some math, say i win current jackpot, and pay full  39.6% later, hell i just round it up to 40% "got to pay the lawyers/legal people anywot

anywot  that current 

alright now these beeps are going to want to spend like crazy, so i just take 7.120,000 out to spend first year so they can buy whatever the hell they want, if they waste over 7m first year, we got a bigger issue then worrying about how to invest the rest.

and we invest 50m

vs 3m atfer near 40% tax rate ever y,and yes, making over 3m, u always be in highest tax rates

so 1 thing 2 remb

turns out long term,its not going to lose value, all proven long term stocks, have gone up in value, they may go up and down over time

but if your getting that  Stock Dividend ever year, and it always goes up, so has stock value over time

so lets just say  this. u  atfer 30 years on pb payments get a total of around 90,000,000 atfer 40% rate u be payin in taxes over long term at current rates

anyway lets look at my 50m cash, lets say somehow stock did so poorly it stayed at same 30 years later"ha"

now i handicaped the HELL out of my numbers 2,    the fact is  on both payment type's  u can reinvest money u get ever year

i also didnt factor into whole HOW dividend payments  Go up over time, on big company's with proven track records i be buying

and how avg stock price grows over time"if its a solid company that pays dividend" the market always keep up with value of that stock

the fact is, 

Dividend payments will be a LOT more in 30 years then are today, if i pick right company's to own, etc

if divindend payments go up over time,  so ofc it goes up to current markets in future value the company 

u really just got to get books by billioners/major investers and learn how much these rich beeps make there money off these stocks/kind of investing

the fact is,  i be a LOT richer in 30 years, taking safest dividend company route, then u ever be taking lottery payments over 30 years

its a lot of devil in details,      if u cant handle  taking risk's, even smart ones, just are lazy,and god forbid u can even pay other smart investers to do the work for u, then go for that joke of a US treasury rates that is what we call a lottery annuity.

if god forbid u can make a full time job out of investing a lot of money, and study hard,and use them brain cells, congrats u be a lot richer then lazy folks.

the fact is my math sucks balls as i under value real returns on dividend, as god forbid i give dividend investing more credit then reality

the truth is, u be far richer getting checks form companies that make all great profits/ money and then give it back to the owners"you as the share holder" then us govt pays for money it gets form your lottery win to invest

if the us rate was in high 7% , we could have a intresting back and forth"dividend would sure win"  but u need to factor in hardcore data that go beyond simple minds.

25-Year Dividend Increasing Stocks . aka company's that old, who have amazing pulled off dividend payouts going up ever year for last 25 years

aka company's like Coca-Cola Co.  Johnson & Johnson ,  PepsiCo , Exxon Mobil , AT&T   , and i make a mockery of that 7% returns  over 30 years, vs  30 years of these company's etc

its a joke how easy it is to make money LONG term with stocks. if u go for dividend checks and not capital gains route of buy low sell high,  now thats risking it all,  if company pays no dividend, never invest in it, ever, its just  risk, real company's to invest in, always give there share holders money they Make, thats whole freaking idea of owning part of company is it not

some people get losing all there money in stock market people  mixed up with dividend investers

let me make it clear,  am not a capital gains invester, i dont buy LOW to sign high, 

, dividend investers have made off like bandits in long term,  they rofl at stock market losers

they sure got there stock,and been paid many times over long term, there investment back. etc

that is if your not a moron when picking what company's to own ofc, and for that u have to study your self

that's a lot of typingGreen laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19875 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

I do think an annuity is right for ALL meth heads. In fact, it should be required.

Stooges

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

that's a lot of typingGreen laugh

At 100 words per minute, in would have taken him just 36 hours and 24 minutes.   Type

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

anywot  that current 

and we invest 50m

so 1 thing 2 remb

the fact is, 

I Agree! Say no more.

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Although I do get an annual myself from time to time............Wink

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Stooges

Stooges

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Stooges

Stooges

Whos doing the curly shuffle?

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
                              California
                              United States
                              Member #69399
                              January 9, 2009
                              380 Posts
                              Posted: March 7, 2013, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Yep (basically), but if you blew it all before paying your taxes the first year, you'll be tapping into the next installment right away just to cover your 1st years tax bill.  Get a good accountant and financial planner... first.  If you got a good one, then you'll know which payment to take- lump sum or annuity- most go for the lump sum for a variety of reasons.

Absolutely agree. I think I would take the lump sum regardless of the amount I won. One of the first things I would do is to start interveiwing/researching attorneys, financial advisers and accountants, in order to have the best people ready when I get my check. I would invest about 85% of my winnings to earn income and use the rest to "have fun with".

Oh, and to joshuacloak, I just want to let you know that when you start of your post with "anyone who picks the annual is a moron", you immediately come off as someone who hasn't grasped the fundamentals of grammar and punctuation, so why would anyone give any credence to what you have to say? I stopped reading after the first few sentences.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.