Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should State Lotteries be privatized ?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 4 years ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
CHERRY HILL, NJ
United States
Member #130213
July 9, 2012
387 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2013, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

I just saw an ad against Chris Christhie on NJ State Lottery privatization. We are a union family but in the case of the NJ Lottery, I feel a private business can run it better. First they took away the live broadcast of the drawings and only after a very public revolt did they bring it back. Then those scratch off jackpot prizes showing up on liquor stores and newspaper (adult) stores makes me wary of their methods.

Then there was this State employee who was bragging how Wawa was exploring selling lotteries on their stores but suggesting changes and he said, "No Way". Its our way or the highway ! Theres a lot of things that can be done to improve customer service but it seems the State are just fine with the status quo.

What do you think of your State Lottery ? Are they serving you well ? Should they be sold off to a private business ?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19964 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2013, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I just saw an ad against Chris Christhie on NJ State Lottery privatization. We are a union family but in the case of the NJ Lottery, I feel a private business can run it better. First they took away the live broadcast of the drawings and only after a very public revolt did they bring it back. Then those scratch off jackpot prizes showing up on liquor stores and newspaper (adult) stores makes me wary of their methods.

Then there was this State employee who was bragging how Wawa was exploring selling lotteries on their stores but suggesting changes and he said, "No Way". Its our way or the highway ! Theres a lot of things that can be done to improve customer service but it seems the State are just fine with the status quo.

What do you think of your State Lottery ? Are they serving you well ? Should they be sold off to a private business ?

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2013, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Northstar took over the Illinois lottery a while back and while they are aggressive at marketing haven't really done a whole lot for the players.

They are adept at getting people to go an extra buck on a ticket - all optional, but what was a Pick 5 game for $1 now has an Ez Match option- an extra $1, match one of the EZ match #'s (you only get them if you go for it) and win $! to $500.

The rest of the story is the top Ez match, $500, has odds of over 210,000 to 1. Better off to put the other dollar on the regular game and shoot for $100,000 or up.

The Pick 6 game (6/52) now has an Extra Shot for $1, same prinicple, but IF you match the Extra Shot uo win more than the regular payouts, and if you hit 0 and the Extra Shot you win $5.

A My 3 game was added to go along with Pick 3. It's a Pick 3 with a different payout structure. A straight pays $200 (Pick 3 is $500).

Along with these changes $1 and $2 scratchers are harder to find and the scratchers in general are gettiing tighter and tighter.

Leave the lottos to the states.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

The problem with privatization is that the companies that run the lotteries will have to pay state and federal taxes. Those taxes and the profits will come from the revenues they collect from players. As it is, the lotteries do not pay taxes. I'm right, no?

That money's gone fo ever