Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Choosing the Annuity Payments and State Taxes.

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
Nutley, New Jersey
United States
Member #131058
August 1, 2012
875 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2013, 3:55 am - IP Logged

If someone won a MM or PB jackpot and they lived in a state like New Jersey that taxed lottery winnings 10.8%, what would happen if the winner choose the annuity payments and then moved to another state that doesn't have income tax, a state like Nevada?

I'm guessing New Jersey would want to tax the first annuity payment for 2013 but what about the other annuity payments in 2014, 2015, 2016 and so on? Can the state you resided in when you won the jackpot continue to tax you after you left the state?

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2013, 8:13 am - IP Logged

If someone won a MM or PB jackpot and they lived in a state like New Jersey that taxed lottery winnings 10.8%, what would happen if the winner choose the annuity payments and then moved to another state that doesn't have income tax, a state like Nevada?

I'm guessing New Jersey would want to tax the first annuity payment for 2013 but what about the other annuity payments in 2014, 2015, 2016 and so on? Can the state you resided in when you won the jackpot continue to tax you after you left the state?

Hmmm that's a good question...mainly cause I was wondering the same LOL....I love to be your guinea pig and give it a try...

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7297 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2013, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Assuming that New Jersey will say the income comes from that state, they probably will use the same state tax laws that require residences of New Jersey that work in New York to pay the difference between the state taxes (1.98%) to New Jersey.

The way things are going it looks like that in the future many municipalities, states, and the Feds will raise taxes and something to seriously think about when opting for the annuity.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2013, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Its simple, you usually pay income taxes on the state where you earn the income.

That money's gone fo ever

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2013, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

If annuities were paying better rates I would have to consider that and move to Nevada, Jersey is incredibly greedy w/ a 10.8%

but as things are I'll stick w/ cash.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3854 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Its simple, you usually pay income taxes on the state where you earn the income.

I would hope that you are correct, but w/ Jersey's greed I could never be sure,

used to be we did'nt have a state tax on lottery wins.

But then we had a huge JP won here, and they went and passed a tax bill on lottery @ 10.8%

They really beat up that winner, cause they won in june, and they made the tax retroactive to jan. 1st

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2013, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

But then we had a huge JP won here, and they went and passed a tax bill on lottery @ 10.8%

They really beat up that winner, cause they won in june, and they made the tax retroactive to jan. 1st

"They really beat up that winner, cause they won in june, and they made the tax retroactive to jan. 1st"

What a dirty rotten lowdown thing to do.

They wanted to rob that guy so bad they created a law allowing them to do it.

Unfrigginbelievable.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                Nutley, New Jersey
                United States
                Member #131058
                August 1, 2012
                875 Posts
                Posted: March 18, 2013, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

yes, you are right. I just found the news story here: http://www.lotterypost.com/news/196448

If I learned anything it is: never underestimate the goverment's ability to tax you at anytime for any reason!  BS

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: March 18, 2013, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

yes, you are right. I just found the news story here: http://www.lotterypost.com/news/196448

If I learned anything it is: never underestimate the goverment's ability to tax you at anytime for any reason!  BS

I hope they voted them guys out, whoever put that bill through.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    40313 Posts
                    Posted: March 19, 2013, 12:02 am - IP Logged

"They really beat up that winner, cause they won in june, and they made the tax retroactive to jan. 1st"

What a dirty rotten lowdown thing to do.

They wanted to rob that guy so bad they created a law allowing them to do it.

Unfrigginbelievable.

Wow, just when you think you've heard it all, retro taxes on lottery, that is a dirty rotten shame.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: March 22, 2013, 5:46 am - IP Logged

10.8% DANGMad

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: March 22, 2013, 5:48 am - IP Logged

That is messed up.

I Love Pink & Green 1908