Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you really were brave/crazy enough to choose the annunity...

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2013, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Do you think you or your estate would actually get the advertised payout or would it grow or do you think you'd lose money? I was looking at the jackpot analysis here and your first payment would be well over $3 million dollars and your last three are over $9 million!!!! I would be sorely tempted to take that annunity...

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #85037
    January 7, 2010
    253 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2013, 8:28 am - IP Logged

I would take the annuity.  No fuss, no muss.  I want to be on a beach somewhere, not worrying about my investments.  i'm 35, a few million a year for the next 30 years is more than enough for me. I don't know what i would do with 120 million in one lump sum anyway.

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
      Jacksonville, Florida
      United States
      Member #140364
      March 17, 2013
      195 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2013, 8:42 am - IP Logged

In today's economy I would be worried about something happening to the lottery system and not getting the full amount.

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        42224 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2013, 9:21 am - IP Logged

I would be happy with whatever I won.

HyperBe Happy.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6305 Posts
          Posted: March 17, 2013, 10:03 am - IP Logged

I would be happy with whatever I won.

Amen sisterThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            42224 Posts
            Posted: March 17, 2013, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Amen sisterThumbs Up

I'm a happy camper if I get my money back, LOL

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: March 17, 2013, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Do you think you or your estate would actually get the advertised payout or would it grow or do you think you'd lose money? I was looking at the jackpot analysis here and your first payment would be well over $3 million dollars and your last three are over $9 million!!!! I would be sorely tempted to take that annunity...

"I would be sorely tempted to take that annunity..."

Personally, I've never been interested in becoming a nun.

But as far as the jackpot goes, I'll take it all now, whatever the amount.

I wouldn't want to risk my jackpot falling victim to the "fundamental change" taking place in this country.

If you know what I mean (nudge nudge, wink wink). Say no more, say no more! Wink

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                Upacreek
                United States
                Member #136306
                December 8, 2012
                431 Posts
                Posted: March 17, 2013, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

I seem recall that your estate doesn't get squat if you die before the annuity payment is complete???  PB annuity is set on a sliding scale vs. MM, so it appears to be growing.  Just remember, 9million 30yrs from now... year 2043 is the same as (in theory) 3 million today in terms of purchasing power- not that I'd be complaining.

There are tons of things to consider... the best "bet"... build a team of advisors that you can hopefully trust (very hard) and let them worry about it while you sip "boat drinks" by <insert dream here>Wink

Eitherway... I know I'd need a lot of help managing that kinda of money (lump or annuity) to prevent the lottery curse from creeping inHit With Stick

-RC

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4584 Posts
                  Posted: March 17, 2013, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

I seem recall that your estate doesn't get squat if you die before the annuity payment is complete???  PB annuity is set on a sliding scale vs. MM, so it appears to be growing.  Just remember, 9million 30yrs from now... year 2043 is the same as (in theory) 3 million today in terms of purchasing power- not that I'd be complaining.

There are tons of things to consider... the best "bet"... build a team of advisors that you can hopefully trust (very hard) and let them worry about it while you sip "boat drinks" by <insert dream here>Wink

Eitherway... I know I'd need a lot of help managing that kinda of money (lump or annuity) to prevent the lottery curse from creeping inHit With Stick

When making a "claim" of this size, either by annuity or full payout, an assignment of an heir or Secondary is advised by the lottery. So yes , there is a rule that allows such a condition to exist in the event of death.

I'm not brave enough to allow annuity, based on the interest rate, the best interest is in my safe :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

LAKE HAVASU AZ
                    United States
                    Member #44729
                    August 8, 2006
                    446 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2013, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

hell matching five numbers would work

some day....some day

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                      California
                      United States
                      Member #112364
                      June 17, 2011
                      661 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2013, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I found this article from the Straight Dope that explains the strength and weakness of lump sum vs annuity.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3098 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2013, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

If I get lucky on my ticket on wednesday night I think I would have a hard time not taking the annuity for the 30 years.  I am hoping that if I take the annuity their will be less people asking for handouts.  You never know though.  It would be a headache that I would like to have some day!-weshar75

US Flag

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3316 Posts
                          Posted: March 18, 2013, 6:38 am - IP Logged

if you invested say half the  annuity money ea year.  lonlg before your 30 years are up you will be earning as much from the investments than getting frm the annuity.  by the end  you would have 190 mill in investments  most probably.

why invest you may well ask?  well its good practice, and as i see it,   learning to live off of only $2 mill a year would be fun.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: March 18, 2013, 11:36 am - IP Logged

the best "bet"... build a team of advisors that you can hopefully trust

I don't understand we people over complicate this. One qualified person would be enough and there are plenty of them out there with a proven track record of trustworthiness. 

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: March 18, 2013, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I seem recall that your estate doesn't get squat if you die before the annuity payment is complete???

I Agree! Taking the a-nun-ity is the same as making the state your heir.