Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The 80-20 Rule and the Lottery

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 4 years ago by msharkey2001.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2013, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

From Wikipedia:

Pareto principle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80–20 rule, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

Business-management consultant Joseph M. Juran suggested the principle and named it after Italian economist Vilifredo Pareto who observed in 1906 that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population; he developed the principle by observing that 20% of the pea pods in his garden contained 80% of the peas.

It is a common rule of thumb in business; e.g., "80% of your sales come from 20% of your clients".

I'm wondering how many way this can be applied to the lotteries, maybe even in a reverse sense, such as 20% of the players are really knowledgable about playing lotto, 80% are not.

On the LP Forums, 20% of the members (or less) put up 80% of the posts (just a guess).

Any others?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4784 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2013, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

From Wikipedia:

Pareto principle

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80–20 rule, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

Business-management consultant Joseph M. Juran suggested the principle and named it after Italian economist Vilifredo Pareto who observed in 1906 that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population; he developed the principle by observing that 20% of the pea pods in his garden contained 80% of the peas.

It is a common rule of thumb in business; e.g., "80% of your sales come from 20% of your clients".

I'm wondering how many way this can be applied to the lotteries, maybe even in a reverse sense, such as 20% of the players are really knowledgable about playing lotto, 80% are not.

On the LP Forums, 20% of the members (or less) put up 80% of the posts (just a guess).

Any others?

I thought it applied in terms of picking one long shot (out more than 10 or more drawings) in a group of 5.

J'aime La France.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
      Economy class
      Belgium
      Member #123700
      February 27, 2012
      4035 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2013, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

I thought it applied in terms of picking one long shot (out more than 10 or more drawings) in a group of 5.

Pareto would have said, let me write you a prescription. 80% antidepressant, ... .

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40339 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2013, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

From Wikipedia:

Pareto principle

Any others?

This is interesting, I am sure we could find this everywhere.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: March 19, 2013, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I've seen it used in many examples, sully.

Things like:

Iin any sales force 20% of the sales people bring in 80% of the sales.

In an apartment complex with a pool 20% of the residents use the pool 80% of the time.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40339 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2013, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I've seen it used in many examples, sully.

Things like:

Iin any sales force 20% of the sales people bring in 80% of the sales.

In an apartment complex with a pool 20% of the residents use the pool 80% of the time.

80 persent of the country, lives off 20 percent of the work force.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2013, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

From Wikipedia:

Pareto principle

_____________________________________________________________________

Any others?

I am not a mathematician worthy of great accolades, but I think

80/20 rule can be reduced to a 4 to 1 rule.

This might be a good guide for wheeling, so for every 4 numbers of say perhaps skip five or less you might choose say then one long skip.

(similar to what artist mentioned above)

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2013, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Pareto would have said, let me write you a prescription. 80% antidepressant, ... .

Well gauging from your other post on the other thread, the other 20% would be erectile dysfunction medication?

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                  Member #106923
                  February 27, 2011
                  476 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2013, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

I am not a mathematician worthy of great accolades, but I think

80/20 rule can be reduced to a 4 to 1 rule.

This might be a good guide for wheeling, so for every 4 numbers of say perhaps skip five or less you might choose say then one long skip.

(similar to what artist mentioned above)

Wouldn't that be a 5 to 1 rule?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    22861 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2013, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

80% of the 999 I want to see in the daily number tonight is 799.20
                    20% of that 999 is 199.80
                    799 and 199 - there's a twist.
                    Big 4 and Quinto..2 more twists.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

United States
                      Member #124493
                      March 14, 2012
                      7023 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2013, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't that be a 5 to 1 rule?

5 to 1 is 100 to 20, i think.

I dont know I just divided both side of the equation by 20

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                        New Hampshire
                        United States
                        Member #136492
                        December 12, 2012
                        322 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2013, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

From Wikipedia:

Pareto principle

_____________________________________________________________________

Any others?

Very interesting info Coin Toss. I've never heard of this, but pick my numbers using the same methodology. I make sure to include 1 number that has come up less often than the expected number of hits during the last 50 draws and they do from time to time come up.