Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does CA Daily Derby cost $2 while ...

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 4 years ago by redhot7.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2013, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

all other draw lotto with much bigger jackpots cost $1? And why does it only allow quick pick with a self service lottery machine? With other games, it let me pick my own numbers with the same machine.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4146 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2013, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

all other draw lotto with much bigger jackpots cost $1? And why does it only allow quick pick with a self service lottery machine? With other games, it let me pick my own numbers with the same machine.

I have wondered that myself, perhaps their thinking is that loads of people who do visit the racetrack could have the inside track on which horse and the time it would finish. I have only played that game once and its as good as useless to me.
    Its nuts considering that PB is  $2.00 but the odds are astronomical, however the payout if won is mindblowin. .
    Party

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: March 26, 2013, 8:49 am - IP Logged

Because you are essentially playing two different games. First is a relatively decent return horse racing game with Win/Exacta/Trifecta prizes. Second is a horrible pick 3 game with average $50 prize for a straight, an abysmal 5% game return. But you can't separate the two and are forced to bet as one, so a $2 bet.

The Grand Prize of Trifecta plus Race Time, starting at a puny $50,000 and averaging $200,000 is harder to win than a top prize on Scratchers, at 1-in-1,320,000 odds. So your return is horrible, and the top prize ain't that great. Basically this is the suckers bet of CA Lottery games.

And it shows... Daily Derby has the smallest sales/revenue of any CA Lottery game by far, less than half of one percent of all sales. I hope they dump this game and offer a small pick 6 instead, like 6/39 or some other game inbetween Fantasy 5 and Super Lotto Plus.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
        California
        United States
        Member #112364
        June 17, 2011
        661 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2013, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Because you are essentially playing two different games. First is a relatively decent return horse racing game with Win/Exacta/Trifecta prizes. Second is a horrible pick 3 game with average $50 prize for a straight, an abysmal 5% game return. But you can't separate the two and are forced to bet as one, so a $2 bet.

The Grand Prize of Trifecta plus Race Time, starting at a puny $50,000 and averaging $200,000 is harder to win than a top prize on Scratchers, at 1-in-1,320,000 odds. So your return is horrible, and the top prize ain't that great. Basically this is the suckers bet of CA Lottery games.

And it shows... Daily Derby has the smallest sales/revenue of any CA Lottery game by far, less than half of one percent of all sales. I hope they dump this game and offer a small pick 6 instead, like 6/39 or some other game inbetween Fantasy 5 and Super Lotto Plus.

Thanks Jon D. I have always been impressed with your knowledge of CA Lottery. Thumbs Up