Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So how come MM cash values are always considerably closer to their annunity than PB

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 4 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: April 3, 2013, 7:26 am - IP Logged

I dont know if this question has been asked before but it has been in the back of my mind for awhile....Right now MM is at 50 million for est. annunity and its cash value is 46 million...PB is 40 million est. annunity and only 26 million cash value...I mean the cash value is more than the annunity in MM is bigger than the PB annunity LOL...Im also wondering if they will may be closer when California joins the PB this month...

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2013, 8:46 am - IP Logged

MM pays an equal amount ea year, and powerball increases the annuity ea year. check out the  jackpot analysis page over on usamega

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7314 Posts
      Posted: April 3, 2013, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I dont know if this question has been asked before but it has been in the back of my mind for awhile....Right now MM is at 50 million for est. annunity and its cash value is 46 million...PB is 40 million est. annunity and only 26 million cash value...I mean the cash value is more than the annunity in MM is bigger than the PB annunity LOL...Im also wondering if they will may be closer when California joins the PB this month...

The PB annuity has 30 payments and the MM annuity has 26. The four extra years of interest is why PB can purchase the same size annuity for less. MM is estimating a cash value of $36.9 million for their next drawing and currently $36.9 million can purchase $50 million in government securities that will pay 26 annual payments of $1,923,077. PB is estimating $25.1 million cash value and can purchase a $40 millon paying 30 average annual payments of $1,333,333.

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.asp

http://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot.asp

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: April 3, 2013, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the accurate and up to date information Stack.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: April 3, 2013, 9:35 am - IP Logged

Good question b2b,  I wonder how high the advertised JP would be if interest rates were higher?

johnjohnson's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
            Philadelphia, PA
            United States
            Member #140550
            March 21, 2013
            14 Posts
            Posted: April 3, 2013, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Is anyone still interested in MM these days? Somehow even though there are 46 megaballs. Someone always matches it before it goes high. PA hasnt won one yet!! Wish me luck!  Smile

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6290 Posts
              Posted: April 3, 2013, 10:50 am - IP Logged

The PB annuity has 30 payments and the MM annuity has 26. The four extra years of interest is why PB can purchase the same size annuity for less. MM is estimating a cash value of $36.9 million for their next drawing and currently $36.9 million can purchase $50 million in government securities that will pay 26 annual payments of $1,923,077. PB is estimating $25.1 million cash value and can purchase a $40 millon paying 30 average annual payments of $1,333,333.

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.asp

http://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot.asp

Good info StackThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: April 3, 2013, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Is anyone still interested in MM these days? Somehow even though there are 46 megaballs. Someone always matches it before it goes high. PA hasnt won one yet!! Wish me luck!  Smile

I most certainly am LOL...winning millions at the gamble of a dollar...heck yeah count me in...and also NC has only had ONE MM jackpot winner since joining....and that was only the base jackpot too

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: April 3, 2013, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know they both had the option to become a nun.

Doesn't matter, I'd  take the cash anyway.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: April 3, 2013, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know they both had the option to become a nun.

Doesn't matter, I'd  take the cash anyway.

if you picked the annunity, would you have to live in a nunnery? LOL

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: April 3, 2013, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

if you picked the annunity, would you have to live in a nunnery? LOL

That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with.

And I'd look ridiculous in a habit with the long beard and all.

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #85037
                        January 7, 2010
                        252 Posts
                        Posted: April 4, 2013, 11:27 am - IP Logged

as a side note I always thought the PB annuity was a raw deal.  I need more money NOW than in 30 years.  Looks like they could do 25% up front then a flat rate for a set number of years. 

Just my ponderings....

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: April 4, 2013, 11:54 am - IP Logged

It's both the length of the annuity and the varying amount of the Powerball payments. Besides being 4 years longer, the powerball annuity pays a much smaller portion in the early years, and a much higher portion in the final years. That results in significantly more money to earn interest over the life of the annuity.

Right now the MM annuity is 135% of the cash value, while the powerball annuity is almost 160%. I don't remember the exact chronology or details, but in the past Powerball's annuity has been more than 210% of the cash value. With the same interst rates that would make the current $50 million advertisd jackpot almost $66 milion. Those rates would have made the $587.5 million record PB jackpot more than $750 million. The MM record might  have been a bit over $800 million.

MUSL says the reason for structuring the Powerball annuity the way they do is to account for inflation and ofer annual ayments that are more equivalent over the period of the annuity.

That makes some sense for the 3% of winners who choose the annuity, and I'm sure the fact that it also lets them advertise a bigger jackpot was never a factor in the decision.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7314 Posts
                            Posted: April 6, 2013, 10:25 am - IP Logged

Because PB pay 30 yearly installments and MM pay 26, the easiest way to explain it is by comparing it to the numbers of months or years we pay auto or home loans. At 4% interest, if we borrow $100,000 with a 30 year mortgage, the total cost is $171,869.51 and the total cost of a 26 year mortgage is $161,007.29.

At the same interest rate and if the cash values of both PB and MM were $100 million, the PB estimated jackpot would be $172 million and MM would be $161 million. From the home lenders point of view, they are selling a $171,869,51 home for $100,000 and from the jackpot winners point of view they are getting about $172 million from a $100 million jackpot or to be more accurate, an investment choice made by Multi-State Lottery Association.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: April 6, 2013, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

i want to hear from people who won 30 years ago and to the annuity.  how is their payouts fairing now what with inflation and all?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297