Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which denomination of scratch tickets rewards the most winners?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Based on your personal scratching experience, which scratch tickets reward the most winners?

$1 tickets [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
$2 tickets [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
$3 tickets [ 3 ]  [7.50%]
$5 tickets [ 7 ]  [17.50%]
$10 tickets [ 7 ]  [17.50%]
$20 tickets [ 12 ]  [30.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Jim777's avatar - e13dc2c8 9163-4600-9f1d-a2456b1f5cab_zpsmbkn

United States
Member #95537
August 12, 2010
54 Posts
Posted: April 3, 2013, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

$2 winner

I've been scratching for about a year and I've found I get more winners from $2 tickets. I buy 10 $2 tickets at a time and tend to get 2-3 winning tickets per purchase of 10 tickets. 

Heres a recent win...

Hollywood, fl
    United States
    Member #140096
    March 10, 2013
    376 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2013, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I seem to win most on $5 tickets, most on a $2 is $40 but I do play alot

These are some of my bigger wins

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: April 3, 2013, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

Not from personal experience but I was chatting to a shop clerk a while back when buying a Euromillions ticket and I asked him what ticket he notices that wins the most and he said the £2 and the £10 tickets. He said he is always cashing in £100 wins on the £10 tickets and some nice wins on the £2 ones. He said the worst ones in his experience was the £1 tickets and they always end up being loosers on just £1 wins.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: April 3, 2013, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

The odds always win out in the end, and higher denomination tickets have the best odds, so they will have the largest percentage of winners.

But your own experience may vary depending on what your competition is in the store, that's the key. If the store you go to has players win chasing before you come in on $10 and $20 games, and you just buy 1 ticket, you will do worse than the odds. On the other hand, of there aren't many players win chasing on $2 games, and you come along and buy at twice odds (10 tickets) then you'll probably do well.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
          California
          United States
          Member #112364
          June 17, 2011
          661 Posts
          Posted: April 3, 2013, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

From my experience, it's the $5 tickets. Oddly enough, the $10 tickets have one of the worst odds despite what they say at the back of the tickets. I bought a couple CA Lucky for Life and 1M Fortune and their odds are almost as bad as the $1 ticket.

Here's an example

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: April 3, 2013, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

From my experience, it's the $5 tickets. Oddly enough, the $10 tickets have one of the worst odds despite what they say at the back of the tickets. I bought a couple CA Lucky for Life and 1M Fortune and their odds are almost as bad as the $1 ticket.

Here's an example

It might not seem that way, but you actually beat the odds!

3 out of 10 hits is 1-in-3.33 which is better than game odds of 1-in-3.48 for $10 LFL.

And $10 LFL only has a very poor 56% return, unless you win the top prize. So your 60% return also beat the odds.

Jim777's avatar - e13dc2c8 9163-4600-9f1d-a2456b1f5cab_zpsmbkn

United States
              Member #95537
              August 12, 2010
              54 Posts
              Posted: April 4, 2013, 5:38 am - IP Logged

I completely agree that $10 tickets are loaded with losing tickets. They have one winner followed by 6-8 losing tickets. If you do win on a $10, then it's a break even ticket ($10) Or $20 knowing most people just turn around and buy more tickets chasing a win... 

I stay away from anything over $5. Oddly, I've won really nice prizes on $1 tickets... Go figure.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40611 Posts
                Posted: April 5, 2013, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I seem to have the best luck with 5 dollar tickets

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                  Upacreek
                  United States
                  Member #136306
                  December 8, 2012
                  429 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2013, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

The odds always win out in the end, and higher denomination tickets have the best odds, so they will have the largest percentage of winners.

But your own experience may vary depending on what your competition is in the store, that's the key. If the store you go to has players win chasing before you come in on $10 and $20 games, and you just buy 1 ticket, you will do worse than the odds. On the other hand, of there aren't many players win chasing on $2 games, and you come along and buy at twice odds (10 tickets) then you'll probably do well.

Hmmm... that must be why I'm doing so lousy on the $20 scratcher's that I periodically buy, no more than one at time... that's all my budget can stomach at that level... $5-$10 is where I get an occasional small payout.  I don't buy many $1 tickets, but the ones I've bought have been losers.

-RC

Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: April 8, 2013, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm... that must be why I'm doing so lousy on the $20 scratcher's that I periodically buy, no more than one at time... that's all my budget can stomach at that level... $5-$10 is where I get an occasional small payout.  I don't buy many $1 tickets, but the ones I've bought have been losers.

Yeah, people think scratch games are random. But they ain't. Not in the way they're manufactured and distributed, and not in the way you play. For me the interesting part is thinking about the competition: the other players vying for the same wins on the packs of tickets in the stores.

In some stores in my area, I see a lot of players scratchin' in store on $2 tickets, so that tells me that those may be more depleted of wins. And they are. I have the data to show it. We don't have $20 games in CA, only $10 as max, and I much less frequently see people scratchin' those in stores. And I get the best hit percentage on those, actually slightly beating game odds.

Also, if you go to high traffic convenience stores like 7-11, it evens the odds more. That's where a win chaser cannot sit and buy tickets on a roll 1 at a time, because there is along line of customers and they can easily snatch his next tickets.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: April 9, 2013, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

$5 & $20 tickets

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Lotto Dreamer's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                        Member #134204
                        October 21, 2012
                        8 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2013, 6:12 am - IP Logged

I have been buying scratch tickets every week for the past 11 months. I only buy the $1, $2, and $5 scratch tickets (about $30 total per month) and I get most of my winners from the $2 tickets (usually $2 and $4 winners with an occasional $5, $10 or $20.)

I don't get many winners from the $1 tickets, but my biggest wins have been on the $1 tickets ($30 and $40.)

All my $5 tickets have been losers so far.

Northern California
                          United States
                          Member #141976
                          April 29, 2013
                          23 Posts
                          Posted: May 6, 2013, 5:15 am - IP Logged

In my personal experience it has been $2 tickets, then followed by $3 tickets.  I have bought a lot of $2 tickets though, so my opinion may be bias.  I seem to lose a ton of money on $5 tickets, only getting free tickets here, $10 there.  But when I buy $2 tickets, I seem to always get most of my money back.  Sure, the payouts are smaller but its what I can afford right now.  Maybe if I made a ton of money I could afford to buy enough $5 and $10's to actually see the payout, but because I can only buy so many of them I lose quite a bit, then have to stop.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10354 Posts
                            Posted: May 8, 2013, 1:51 am - IP Logged

$4 scratchers.

Oh wait........ there aren't any.

I wonder why, anyone know?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.