Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

No PB Winner- but ONE winner out of millions for 2nd prize? Sucks bigtime.

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 4 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2013, 1:11 am - IP Logged

l know its about the numbers but geez- only One winner? Quite an intro to Californians who probably went whole-hog on the PB.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
    Nutley, New Jersey
    United States
    Member #131058
    August 1, 2012
    875 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2013, 1:18 am - IP Logged

l know its about the numbers but geez- only One winner? Quite an intro to Californians who probably went whole-hog on the PB.

a $1 million winner from Indiana. No one from California got 5 numbers without the powerball but if they did it would have been worth only 785K.

http://www.calottery.com/Play/Draw-Games/powerball

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4146 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2013, 1:25 am - IP Logged

a $1 million winner from Indiana. No one from California got 5 numbers without the powerball but if they did it would have been worth only 785K.

l agree Whiteballz- but my point is with all the States playing the game, having only one winner feels more like a raffle than a lottery. its the 2nd prize lm thinking about, whether it was for $1 mil or not. The JP itself is kinda elusive to begin with given the odds.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
        California
        United States
        Member #112364
        June 17, 2011
        661 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2013, 1:31 am - IP Logged

l agree Whiteballz- but my point is with all the States playing the game, having only one winner feels more like a raffle than a lottery. its the 2nd prize lm thinking about, whether it was for $1 mil or not. The JP itself is kinda elusive to begin with given the odds.

That is because the odds of matching only 5 balls with PB are far worse than the odds of matching only 5 balls with MM.

MM odds (5 balls only): 1 in 3,904,701
        PB odds (5 balls only): 1 in 5,153,633

It gets even worse. If you count the cost of PB ($2) vs the cost of MM($1), the odds of MM if you spend $2 are actually 1 in 1,952,350

You are more 2.6x more likely to match 5 balls with MM given the same amount of money spent.

Delaware
          United States
          Member #93503
          July 1, 2010
          453 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2013, 2:00 am - IP Logged

That is because the odds of matching only 5 balls with PB are far worse than the odds of matching only 5 balls with MM.

MM odds (5 balls only): 1 in 3,904,701
          PB odds (5 balls only): 1 in 5,153,633

It gets even worse. If you count the cost of PB ($2) vs the cost of MM($1), the odds of MM if you spend $2 are actually 1 in 1,952,350

You are more 2.6x more likely to match 5 balls with MM given the same amount of money spent.

Your odds don't change just your chances do. So it be 2 in 3,904,701 instead of 1.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2013, 7:21 am - IP Logged

Well, the good news is that because of rollover, the next draw it will be greater than $1M.(unless split by pari-mutuel)

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2013, 8:00 am - IP Logged

It's not surprising there was only one match 5+0 winner, given the odds of only 1 in 5,153,632.65 , and according to the TLC website, only 18,089,887 tickets were sold for last night's draw, so the lotteries expected to pay only a combined total of three $1,000,000 prizes.

---

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6305 Posts
                Posted: April 11, 2013, 9:12 am - IP Logged

" $1 million winner from Indiana" congratulation to the winner/sThumbs Up. I thought there would have been more.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

stunna6036's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                  chicago,il
                  United States
                  Member #141327
                  April 11, 2013
                  46 Posts
                  Posted: April 11, 2013, 9:24 am - IP Logged

It's not surprising there was only one match 5+0 winner, given the odds of only 1 in 5,153,632.65 , and according to the TLC website, only 18,089,887 tickets were sold for last night's draw, so the lotteries expected to pay only a combined total of three $1,000,000 prizes.

Wow only 18,089,887 tickets sold, given powerball cost at least two dollars is comes. To  over 36 million dollarsnot to mention the extra revenue from the power play option.so my questio is why does the jackpot only increase by 10 million .I smell a rat.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                    Member #133462
                    September 30, 2012
                    5946 Posts
                    Posted: April 11, 2013, 9:29 am - IP Logged

" $1 million winner from Indiana" congratulation to the winner/sThumbs Up. I thought there would have been more.

I think this reinforces what we already knew to be true. You can be the athlete who bought 10k worth of tickets and still not hit the jackpot or even come close.

The majority of tickets bought were Quick Picks and players are relying completely on luck. I guess Lady Luck fell asleep in Cali last night after the long build up to this inaugural drawing.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4146 Posts
                      Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:01 am - IP Logged

I think this reinforces what we already knew to be true. You can be the athlete who bought 10k worth of tickets and still not hit the jackpot or even come close.

The majority of tickets bought were Quick Picks and players are relying completely on luck. I guess Lady Luck fell asleep in Cali last night after the long build up to this inaugural drawing.

Californians took a deep breath last night but not because they did not win the JP. Right now its relatively small but having only one ticket win 2nd place? seems a lil unfair, but we will be back, we have time.We not called the Golden State for nothing.

Big Smile

Bahamas
                        Member #133462
                        September 30, 2012
                        5946 Posts
                        Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Californians took a deep breath last night but not because they did not win the JP. Right now its relatively small but having only one ticket win 2nd place? seems a lil unfair, but we will be back, we have time.We not called the Golden State for nothing.

Big Smile

This is good news to all who read. I'm actually hoping that players in Cali double what they've spent in the inaugural draw. Go big or go home - lol.

Beyond the obvious, I am happy PB is getting all of this attention while the hare (MM) slowly wins this race. MM jackpot is building and I hope its finally ready to endure until it reaches record territory. Mid May should be just about right.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Welcome to PB CA.

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4146 Posts
                            Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:27 am - IP Logged

This is good news to all who read. I'm actually hoping that players in Cali double what they've spent in the inaugural draw. Go big or go home - lol.

Beyond the obvious, I am happy PB is getting all of this attention while the hare (MM) slowly wins this race. MM jackpot is building and I hope its finally ready to endure until it reaches record territory. Mid May should be just about right.

Just about right for California to win BOTH the MM & PB- now wouldn't that be something Sir Ronnie?

Party

Bahamas
                              Member #133462
                              September 30, 2012
                              5946 Posts
                              Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Just about right for California to win BOTH the MM & PB- now wouldn't that be something Sir Ronnie?

Party

Blasphemy!

Is that allowed on LP?