Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery Curse: Fact or Fiction?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

The Lottery Curse: Fact or Fiction?

Fact [ 5 ]  [26.32%]
Fiction [ 14 ]  [73.68%]
Total Valid Votes [ 19 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2013, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Depending whose statistics you read the percentage and time span varies, but statistically something like 50% of jackpot winners are said to go broke within 5 to 7 years, so I'd say there might be something to 'The Lottery Curse'.

Ask any Cubs fan about a curse!

As far as prior money skills go, wasn't Jack Whitaker already a millionaire before he hit the $300M + jackpot?

Scared

PS,

Someone once posted that when you win a jackpot you just trade one set of problems for another and that is probably very true. Maybe a curse in itself.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2013, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Some people are happier being broke. They just don't realize it til they ain't broke no mo.

CST
      United States
      Member #140593
      March 23, 2013
      26 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2013, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Fiction.

Just like some people don't know how to pump gas, weld a piece of iron or bake a loaf of bread, some people do not know how to use money properly.

Worse yet, many that don't know how to do something rarely ask for help from someone who does.

Burning a loaf of bread that doesn't rise is one thing. Wasting millions of dollars and having jack squat to show for it is something completely different.

Either way, ask for help if you need it.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2013, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Fiction.

Just like some people don't know how to pump gas, weld a piece of iron or bake a loaf of bread, some people do not know how to use money properly.

Worse yet, many that don't know how to do something rarely ask for help from someone who does.

Burning a loaf of bread that doesn't rise is one thing. Wasting millions of dollars and having jack squat to show for it is something completely different.

Either way, ask for help if you need it.

Speaking of "Jack" some people just want rid of the money so they spend it as fast as they can. Their choice.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
          Upacreek
          United States
          Member #136306
          December 8, 2012
          428 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2013, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I can only imagine how stressful (at first) it might be with all those new zeros behind that 1 in your bank account and all those new zeros lining up outside your door expecting a payout or scheming to find ways to part you from your new found wealth.

If you ain't ready for that, you're going to walk into a buzzsaw and feel cursed, like the poor Cubbies...  100 yrs and counting?

-RC

Denmother1's avatar - batman38
            Suffolk, VA
            United States
            Member #106648
            February 22, 2011
            781 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Anything that you allow to bring a negative impact on your life can be defined as a "Curse".  Suddenly winning a lump some of money is not a curse, it just draws in all the negative that was lurking all along.  How a winner recognizes and deals with these negative outside forces can make all the difference.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing that a tomato does not go in a fruit salad."  Hat

United States
              Member #128790
              June 2, 2012
              5431 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I'm cursed until the day I win the JP. Only at that point will my curse be lifted. LOL

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: April 11, 2013, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Depending whose statistics you read the percentage and time span varies, but statistically something like 50% of jackpot winners are said to go broke within 5 to 7 years, so I'd say there might be something to 'The Lottery Curse'.

Ask any Cubs fan about a curse!

As far as prior money skills go, wasn't Jack Whitaker already a millionaire before he hit the $300M + jackpot?

Scared

PS,

Someone once posted that when you win a jackpot you just trade one set of problems for another and that is probably very true. Maybe a curse in itself.

I disagree. Most of the 50% are just plain idiots, it's that simple. No curse. I'd bet you a hundred bucks that If you throw the average pathetic Human outside their normal existence overnight, they'll suffer in the short to mid term, like your 50% example, probably higher than 50%.

Only the few who actually take the time to think it out will keep the lion's share. 

There are still a few people around who really appreciate each and every dollar, especially in this unbelievably bad economy, and despite the temptation to unwittingly give most of it away, or lending it out. All sorts of guilt ridden thoughts that one may encounter, like throwing endless parties for your friends and family, as if the money will never dry up. You can't save the world.

There's no curse, only irresponsible people who came into a lot of money. You can't buy intelligence, common sense, and street smarts.

Just look around you on this great planet, the 50% should be an understatement.

The best answer to your query in this thread lies here, http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/259595/3015785 , the OP's opening statement. First thing I would do to cloak myself as best I can. This first step would probably eliminate 80% of the problems associated with instant notoriety, and the headaches that will ensue.

Chair

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19840 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2013, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Yes Nod Winning the Lottery, Curse or a Blessing?

Fact: for some people who misuse it, it is indeed a Curse.

Let it Snow Snowman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2013, 12:50 am - IP Logged

Just for the sake of discussion, how about people who win a jackpot more than once and still go broke?

There was a woman in NJ who won a jackpot, blew it, won another one, blew that and now she's living on social security.

Lurking

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19840 Posts
                      Posted: April 12, 2013, 12:54 am - IP Logged

someone moved my clover i think this site is haunted Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19840 Posts
                        Posted: April 12, 2013, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Just for the sake of discussion, how about people who win a jackpot more than once and still go broke?

There was a woman in NJ who won a jackpot, blew it, won another one, blew that and now she's living on social security.

Lurking

i hope she had fun while it lasted Dance

Let it Snow Snowman

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                          Nutley, New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #131058
                          August 1, 2012
                          875 Posts
                          Posted: April 12, 2013, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Lurking

What's her name?

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: April 12, 2013, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Lurking

Are you serious?? How much did she win each time? I cant even comprehend that one....

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                              Member #133462
                              September 30, 2012
                              5946 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2013, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

someone moved my clover i think this site is haunted Green laugh

My apologies. I moved it initially when I thought you won the million dollar second tier prize in Powerball this week. I was later informed otherwise so I restored it.

Make it happen this week. There are others in need of luck on LP!

"Everything works  ONCE!"