Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does Your State Protect YOU?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dr65.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #74096
May 2, 2009
22908 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2013, 8:51 am - IP Logged

March 2013, Pennsylvania has changed the winners list for Instant tickets, Big 4, Quinto etc to only use a winners
FIRST NAME, LAST INITIAL and COUNTY.

This is a move in the right direction considering that before March a person was able to view winners of amounts
$1,000 and up...including TOP PRIZE winners....the lists had their FULL NAME, TOWN and AMOUNT WON.

They've also added a FRAUD alert in the ticker on the TOP of the page..much bigger than the link which was
inserted near the end of the main page. I'm happy to see they are taking this seriously and wanting to alert
people to the real possibility of being scammed out of their winnings. It's too easy to make contact with
winners and attempt to swindle them out of their money when a lot of information is published. I got a
call one day from someone claiming to be from Lottery Headquarters...wanting more 'information' and
to 'verify a few things'. He smelled like a rat in the first 10 seconds of the call...he hung up in a hurry
when pressed. I called HQ and they had no record of him being an employee of course.

DO NOT SUPPLY ANY INFORMATION TO ANYONE WHO CALLS YOU...if you get a call, call your
headquarters through the phone number provided on the website for your state.

3 cheers to PA for moving forward and making an effort to get the message out there that people want your
money and will do anything to get it.

My money was safely delivered to me. Big Smile Stay alert! Be wary!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19816 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2013, 9:21 am - IP Logged

you saying if i win the Lottery people i don't know will call me and ask me for money What?

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2013, 11:03 am - IP Logged

you saying if i win the Lottery people i don't know will call me and ask me for money What?

I dont care if they call or not....I just dont answer the phone unless I reconize the number...it goes to voicemail

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2013, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Indubitably.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 18, 2013, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

March 2013, Pennsylvania has changed the winners list for Instant tickets, Big 4, Quinto etc to only use a winners

This is a move in the right direction considering that before March a person was able to view winners of amounts
          $1,000 and up...including TOP PRIZE winners....the lists had their FULL NAME, TOWN and AMOUNT WON.

They've also added a FRAUD alert in the ticker on the TOP of the page..much bigger than the link which was
          inserted near the end of the main page. I'm happy to see they are taking this seriously and wanting to alert
          people to the real possibility of being scammed out of their winnings. It's too easy to make contact with
          winners and attempt to swindle them out of their money when a lot of information is published. I got a
          call one day from someone claiming to be from Lottery Headquarters...wanting more 'information' and
          to 'verify a few things'. He smelled like a rat in the first 10 seconds of the call...he hung up in a hurry
          when pressed. I called HQ and they had no record of him being an employee of course.

DO NOT SUPPLY ANY INFORMATION TO ANYONE WHO CALLS YOU...if you get a call, call your

3 cheers to PA for moving forward and making an effort to get the message out there that people want your

I would describe TN as aloof, remote, detached and uninterested in anything but their bottom line.

If you call to report a clerk who tried to rip you off, they don't even want to know where it was or who it was, they just tell you to be careful.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            22908 Posts
            Posted: April 18, 2013, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

You'll find that all kinds of people will ask you for money but this thread touches on people contacting you
            posing as employees of the lottery 'needing' to 'verify' a few things.
            What they hope is that you will provide them with the information they need - acct numbers, personal identifying
            factors etc.
            One easy scheme for them is to tell you that you need to pay a fee to release your money. I'm sure you've read
            here on LP about unfortunate victims who were swindled.
            Don't worry about a Daily Number hit, no one (well, maybe a friend will hit you up for $20 if they find out) but
            no one will be calling because you won $500 or $1,000.
            If you hit $25,000 or more, be very careful about calls you receive. I believe it's an easily pulled off scam because
            I think that people tend to get nervous about their winnings before they have them in their hands. I think about
            the elderly a lot in these situations and just trusting individuals in general. In a perfect world, you can trust people
            to watch your back....but it's not a perfect world and sadly, people aren't watching your back.

PA's method of listing winners (which btw I was very surprised to see implemented) will help to curb contacts people
            receive because they now have a minimum amount of information to go on. It's difficult (not impossible though) to find
            a certain person by going on first name, last initial and county of residence. More states hopefully follow suit.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: April 18, 2013, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

How did they get your phone # to call & specifically  discuss the lottery with you unless you posted it where it could be found?  Lucky You.
              California has lottery Cops so tospeak that search out vendors & others who attempt to screw you out of your winnings. I am talking jail time.

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: April 18, 2013, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Also that's common sense you dont give your ssn# or credit card # over the phone unless you know who your talking to....and mainly why would the lottery "call" you for personal information??? Wouldnt they call and ask you make an appointment to come in or even sending a letter saying that they need some information and asking you to come in??

Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  22908 Posts
                  Posted: April 19, 2013, 8:31 am - IP Logged

How did they get your phone # to call & specifically  discuss the lottery with you unless you posted it where it could be found?  Lucky You.
                  California has lottery Cops so tospeak that search out vendors & others who attempt to screw you out of your winnings. I am talking jail time.

When the state published a winners full name and county/town it was as easy as
                  looking up phone records. Reaching the wrong individual through a published number
                  isn't a dead end if that person is a relative who supplies the correct info to the
                  caller. I didn't offer up any information whatsoever.
                  Having a private number isn't 100% protection against unwanted calls, I get them all
                  the time. Protect yourself by not being naive and just plain dumb. If something doesn't
                  seem right, it ISN'T.
                  PA has 'lottery cops'...they can't do much except take a report and details. Most times the
                  details do not lead to anything because the criminals are pretty good at covering up their
                  tracks.

PA's current change is good...rather that listing:
                  John Doe   Allentown/Lehigh County
                  they list:
                  John D  Lehigh County

Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    22908 Posts
                    Posted: April 19, 2013, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Also that's common sense you dont give your ssn# or credit card # over the phone unless you know who your talking to....and mainly why would the lottery "call" you for personal information??? Wouldnt they call and ask you make an appointment to come in or even sending a letter saying that they need some information and asking you to come in??

Yes it is common sense. Never.
                    I already know the lottery's m/o for handling winners and payouts. They do not call.
                    The caller was posing as a representative of the Lottery. He didn't get far...he didn't
                    ask me for anything because I didn't let him. I knew it would have come if I stayed
                    on the phone longer and 'cooperated'.
                    We can say, never do this or don't do that.....we're the lucky ones that are cautious
                    and can laugh or say, oh what a dork, they gave all their info to someone who called
                    on the phone! hahaha...and some might add: they deserve to be ripped off for being
                    so stupid.
                    These scammers are good at what they do, they're in the business to lie, cheat and
                    steal. Knowing what can happen is a defense against when it actually does happen.
                    Read your lottery's website on scams and what to look for..if the day comes where
                    you are in the winners shoes, you'll know what to expect. It's going to be more than
                    a big fat check if you're not very careful.
                    What is common sense to most turns into regret for others because they let their
                    guard down or didn't have it up to begin with.

Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      22908 Posts
                      Posted: April 19, 2013, 9:06 am - IP Logged

I would describe TN as aloof, remote, detached and uninterested in anything but their bottom line.

If you call to report a clerk who tried to rip you off, they don't even want to know where it was or who it was, they just tell you to be careful.

PA can't hide their true colors either sometimes. Some representatives treat a person
                      with respect, some let you know that you're wasting their time. When I run into attitudes
                      like that, I wonder where is pride in job well done? We lost that years and years ago. The
                      current generation isn't learning anything different...case in point: clerks...young clerks
                      specifically. Too sidetracked, distracted, bothered, lazy or just plain dumb to realize anything
                      more than what they're making per hour isn't enough to do more than just take up space
                      and give you that dazed look when they need to do something.
                      PA lottery representatives are, for the most part, the same. They don't have time and clearly
                      don't have energy - evidenced by sighs and cut-offs and sarcasm - to do their job.
                      I think they have key phrases on index cards with responses to them:
                      I want to report a clerk........be careful next time, check your tickets.
                      I want to report a scam.......call the police.
                      I want to report you............let me get my supervisor. Thank you for your report and
                      calling the PA Lottery...click.