Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TX Lotto players - Lottery Commission's sneaky rule change

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Piaceri.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Austin, Tx
United States
Member #141712
April 21, 2013
9 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2013, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. Sorry to get on a soapbox right away.

Texas Lotto players; On January 13, 2013, the Texas Lottery issued a News Release saying that effective April 14, 2013, they were adding an "Extra" feature to the game. This feature allows a player to pay an extra $1 per ticket and increase non-jackpot prizes. They also increased the annuity period from 25 to 30 years. What they didn't announce and you may have noticed now that two drawings have happened since the rule change is that they have capped the jackpot rollover increase to $250,000 per drawing. Previously, the jackpot would increase about a million per draw. This is a blatant money grab since their online document show weekly sales for Lotto Texas at around 1.3 million or more depending on the prize amount.

I like the Lotto Texas game because the 6/54 format means better odds than all the Mega/Poweball games and the jackpot gets into "instant retirement" territory within a couple of weeks after someone wins. With this new rollover rule, the jackpot will increase far more slowly and the Texas Lotto game will pay out far less money.

If you are a Lotto Texas fan I urge you to contact the Texas Lottery and tell them that this new rule ruins the game. Google "Texas Lottery" and go to the main page. Scroll the bottom of the page and click Contact Us. In the email section there are two options to send an email. If you are feeling more assertive, in the left hand navigation bar click on Key Personell Phone Directory.  There you will find the email address for the Executive Director of the Texas Lottery.

Many years ago, the Texas Lottery Commission messed with the game and added a Bonus Ball option. Ticket sales went into the toilet until the public protested and they reverted back to the original 6/54 format. They can't seem to keep from messing with the game or grabbing the money. I urge Texas Lotto players to express their displeasure with the new prize rules. Thanks everyone.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5615 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2013, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone,

Texas Lotto players; On January 13, 2013, the Texas Lottery issued a News Release saying that effective April 14, 2013, they were adding an "Extra" feature to the game. This feature allows a player to pay an extra $1 per ticket and increase non-jackpot prizes. They also increased the annuity period from 25 to 30 years. What they didn't announce and you may have noticed now that two drawings have happened since the rule change is that they have capped the jackpot rollover increase to $250,000 per drawing. Previously, the jackpot would increase about a million per draw. This is a blatant money grab since their online document show weekly sales for Lotto Texas at around 1.3 million or more depending on the prize amount.

I like the Lotto Texas game because the 6/54 format means better odds than all the Mega/Poweball games and the jackpot gets into "instant retirement" territory within a couple of weeks after someone wins. With this new rollover rule, the jackpot will increase far more slowly and the Texas Lotto game will pay out far less money.

If you are a Lotto Texas fan I urge you to contact the Texas Lottery and tell them that this new rule ruins the game. Google "Texas Lottery" and go to the main page. Scroll the bottom of the page and click Contact Us. In the email section there are two options to send an email. If you are feeling more assertive, in the left hand navigation bar click on Key Personell Phone Directory.  There you will find the email address for the Executive Director of the Texas Lottery.

Many years ago, the Texas Lottery Commission messed with the game and added a Bonus Ball option. Ticket sales went into the toilet until the public protested and they reverted back to the original 6/54 format. They can't seem to keep from messing with the game or grabbing the money. I urge Texas Lotto players to express their displeasure with the new prize rules. Thanks everyone.

I read about this change in the commission meeting minutes. If I recall correctly, this was done because of the low interest rates, and frankly sales have not been sufficient to support rolls of a million dollars. Even with sales at 1.3 million, remember not all that money goes to the prize pool.

It is disappointing for the rolls to only be $250000, but, this game still provides "retirement" ability at much lower odds than MM or PB. Have you noticed how many times someone has hit a jackpot this year alone already?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4111 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2013, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Welcome parkinds-Dance

Austin, Tx
        United States
        Member #141712
        April 21, 2013
        9 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

RCBBUCKEYE - Understood. "Instant Retirement" is a term that depends on a lot of factors. Debt, taxes, interest rates, age. For me, $5 million, cash value is the magic number. At that point, my wife and I can live a relatively modest life without having to work or worry about money for our foreseeable lifespan. And that lifestyle doesn't have a Ferrari parked in the driveway. When the jackpot hits that number, I buy one ticket for every one million increase; $5 million cash value = 5 tickets, $30 million = 30 tickets. With this new scheme, I will start buying later and will buy fewer tickets. If the number of draws between wins remains the same, Texas Lotto jackpots will be lower overall.

Even if ticket sales were only $1 million per draw that would mean that the state is keeping 75% of the take. I could see a 50/50 split, but 75/25 seems excessive. After all, Texas has nearly 11 billion in a "rainy day fund". It isn't desperate for cashflow at this point. Why not include this rule change in their News Release?

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2013, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP parkindsThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            2659 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2013, 9:17 am - IP Logged

welcome to the asylum 4 lotto addicts , Parkinds

Cheers

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
              Kentucky
              United States
              Member #35086
              March 12, 2006
              10374 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2013, 10:01 am - IP Logged

Welcome       parkinds

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                San Angelo, Texas
                United States
                Member #1097
                January 31, 2003
                1394 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone,

parkinds

It's too late!

The proposals were made, hearings were held (no players attended) and documents have been signed into law!

No way will TLC ever step back and admit they made a mistake!

Maybe players will have more say when the current governor is sent out to pasture.
                Everyone at TLC is beholden to Perry.

Until then, all we can do monitor the TLC website, read the advanced meeting agenda and read meeting minutes, keep track of
                the proposed rule changes posted in the Texas Register and complain via email.

You could attend meetings, but, keep in mind - the current leadership won't allow any in-person comments lasting more than five
                minutes. They prefer written inputs.

Don't be late for a meeting and don't forget to sign up. Otherwise, you won't be allowed to speak.

bobby623

Austin, Tx
                  United States
                  Member #141712
                  April 21, 2013
                  9 Posts
                  Posted: April 22, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Well, we can hope they may change. I think they will see a drop in ticket sales as players realize that jackpots are not climbing as high as they once were. The game will just not be as compelling. My understanding is that previously 50% of ticket sales went into the prize pool. So it seems that they were overfunding the prize pool if ticket sales normally ranged from 1.2 to 1.9 million per draw (after deducting expenses). I'm not sure what the percentage is now, but it must be less that 50.

They kept the lower, fixed rollover out of the news. Since starting this thread, I did some Googling and found a few news stories and video clips from January that mentioned the "Extra" feature and the longer annuity period, but not the $250,000 cap. As far as attending the Lottery Commission meeting, well, it just didn't cross my mind.

They did change the format once before and then backtrack when sales went into the toilet. Maybe they will again.

Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5615 Posts
                    Posted: April 22, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Well, we can hope they may change. I think they will see a drop in ticket sales as players realize that jackpots are not climbing as high as they once were. The game will just not be as compelling. My understanding is that previously 50% of ticket sales went into the prize pool. So it seems that they were overfunding the prize pool if ticket sales normally ranged from 1.2 to 1.9 million per draw (after deducting expenses). I'm not sure what the percentage is now, but it must be less that 50.

They kept the lower, fixed rollover out of the news. Since starting this thread, I did some Googling and found a few news stories and video clips from January that mentioned the "Extra" feature and the longer annuity period, but not the $250,000 cap. As far as attending the Lottery Commission meeting, well, it just didn't cross my mind.

They did change the format once before and then backtrack when sales went into the toilet. Maybe they will again.

40.47% goes towards the prize pool. Been that amount for ages.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                      Nutley, New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #131058
                      August 1, 2012
                      875 Posts
                      Posted: April 22, 2013, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

don't mess with Texas Lotto players!!!!! Patriot

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19831 Posts
                        Posted: April 22, 2013, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone,

Ohio had a similar problem with their Super Lotto game(6/49+1) a few years ago.  When the game started out its jackpot was increased by $2M after each drawing.  It was the most popular game in the area so there were many out of state players to support it and interest rates on annuities was good. 

When they put a cap of $20M that one ticket could win, out of state players stop coming to Ohio to play.  The cap only lasted six months but by the time it was removed surrounding states had added PowerBall so not only did Ohio lose the out of state players but many Ohioans started traveling out of state to play PB.  With fewer players, the game format couldn't survive.  The game was replaced with Lot'O Play(6/100).  After a year it was also replaced with a 6/49 game called Classic Lotto and its jackpot increased $100K after each drawing which could be supported by the number of players it has.  We have also since gotten PB and MM so Ohioans don't have to travel out of state to play them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Texas
                          United States
                          Member #55889
                          October 23, 2007
                          5615 Posts
                          Posted: April 22, 2013, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I see a trend with what TLC is doing here. They introduced a game called All or Nothing, which costs $2 to play and gives a player overall odds of 1 in 4.5.

They just changed Texas Lotto. A player can still play for $1 with overall odds of 1 in 71.1, or play $2 with overall odds of 1 in 7.9.

They are trying to increase revenue with $2 tickets, and at the same time have games with better overall odds.

Case in point... Saturday I played 30 numbers in 5 lines on Texas Lotto (6/54). I had 5 of the winning numbers. 2 lines had 2 winning numbers each. If I had played $1 for each line, I wouldn't have won anything as 2 numbers doesn't pay anything. However, I played the extra $1 for each line. So for the 2 lines with 2 winning numbers I won $2 each for $4. So... I could have played $5 and lost $5. I played $10 and won $4 (lost $6). Kind of a feel good to win anything back even if I still lost overall.

The payoffs for 3, 4 and 5 numbers are actually pretty good, but of course, harder to hit. But I play for the jackpot, not for small prizes. So I probably won't play the extra very much. I'll just have to see how I feel at the time. LOL.

Austin, Tx
                            United States
                            Member #141712
                            April 21, 2013
                            9 Posts
                            Posted: April 22, 2013, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

But I play for the jackpot, not for small prizes. I'm glad you said that! I made exactly that point in an email to the Executive Director at the Texas Lottery. To me, focusing extra chances on small prizes is not a compelling reason to play (or spend an extra dollar). If I wanted to play for $10, $100 or even $10,000, I'd play the Daily 4, which has similar odds but slightly larger payouts. If they wanted to juice the game they should have offered something like an "add a million" option. Select that option for a buck and add 1 million to any jackpot win. I'd probably bite on that. I don't see myself ever selecting the Extra option.

Yes, you're right the prize percentage is 40. But that must have changed. If the prize rollover is capped at 250k, that's 40% of $625,000. The per draw tickets sales have been well above that. Unless I am reading the sales documents on the Texas Lottery website incorrectly.

Lotto Geek's avatar - thelottogeekball

United States
                              Member #141752
                              April 22, 2013
                              11 Posts
                              Posted: April 22, 2013, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the $250,000 figure is the minimum roll, not the maximum. No lottery in their right mind would cap rollovers at such a low amount. Ohio capped their jackpots way back when, and their sales never recovered, even after they lifted the cap.

The last jackpot won was $4.5 million cash, but by my calculation there was only about $1.6 million in the jackpot pool. I can see why the lottery made the change, and why players are upset about it; the effective payout rate was a lot higher because the $4mil minimum plus the $1mil rolls were more than 40% of sales could support. That's probably how it managed such big rolls, because fewer people were playing, yet the jackpot kept going up $1mil at a time. Good for players, those who won the jackpot anyway; but no lottery will ever keep that going indefinately.