Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

California - Highway Robbery in Progress

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
Member #5599
July 13, 2004
1192 Posts
Posted: April 25, 2013, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I guess it's fair if you are the one doing the robbing.

Detailed Draw Results for California           

Matching Numbers                                                   Winning Tickets                                                   Prize Amount                       
5 + Powerball0$116,000,000
52$280,630
4 + Powerball4$11,142
4138$109
3 + Powerball207$114
37,643$7
2 + Powerball3,823$7
1 + Powerball25,202$4
Powerball50,370$4
                            Total Winning Tickets                       87,389

See Past Results                           

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Each prize amount is based upon the wager shown next to it.

MatchPrize Amount
5 numbers + Powerball$116 MillionRolling Jackpot$2 wager
5 numbers$1 Million$2 wager
4 numbers + Powerball$10,000$2 wager
4 numbers$100$2 wager
3 numbers + Powerball$100$2 wager
3 numbers$7$2 wager
2 numbers + Powerball$7$2 wager
1 number + Powerball$4$2 wager
Powerball only$4$2 wager
5 numbers, with Power Play purchase$2 Million$3 wager
4 numbers + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$40,000$3 wager
4 numbers, with Power Play purchase$200$3 wager
3 numbers + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$200$3 wager
3 numbers, with Power Play purchase$14$3 wager
2 numbers + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$14$3 wager
1 number + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$12$3 wager
Powerball only, with Power Play purchase$12$3 wager

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19967 Posts
    Posted: April 25, 2013, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I guess it's fair if you are the one doing the robbing.

Matching Numbers                                                   Winning Tickets                                                   Prize Amount                       
    5 + Powerball0$116,000,000
    52$280,630
    4 + Powerball4$11,142
    4138$109
    3 + Powerball207$114
    37,643$7
    2 + Powerball3,823$7
    1 + Powerball25,202$4
    Powerball50,370$4
                                Total Winning Tickets                       87,389

See Past Results                           

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Each prize amount is based upon the wager shown next to it.

MatchPrize Amount
    5 numbers + Powerball$116 MillionRolling Jackpot$2 wager
    5 numbers$1 Million$2 wager
    4 numbers + Powerball$10,000$2 wager
    4 numbers$100$2 wager
    3 numbers + Powerball$100$2 wager
    3 numbers$7$2 wager
    2 numbers + Powerball$7$2 wager
    1 number + Powerball$4$2 wager
    Powerball only$4$2 wager
    5 numbers, with Power Play purchase$2 Million$3 wager
    4 numbers + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$40,000$3 wager
    4 numbers, with Power Play purchase$200$3 wager
    3 numbers + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$200$3 wager
    3 numbers, with Power Play purchase$14$3 wager
    2 numbers + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$14$3 wager
    1 number + Powerball, with Power Play purchase$12$3 wager
    Powerball only, with Power Play purchase$12$3 wager

Thanks for postingSee Ya!

Patriot

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: April 25, 2013, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

that's horrible! Can you imagine matching 5 without the Powerball and finding out you're only getting 280K? The only good thing about being a California lottery player is no state tax on lottery winnings. If Cali ever decided to tax lottery winnings, Cali would be the worst place in the nation to play.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4146 Posts
        Posted: April 25, 2013, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

California is operating on a system that was approved by the voters.Just the other day some State paid out multi millions for pick 4 winners when the money collected was much less than that which was paid out. When the State lottery functions in the Red, major trouble looms.California knows about deficits. ...

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3501 Posts
          Posted: April 25, 2013, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you should go back and read your last thread whining about California's parimutuel payouts. You could also pay attention to what you just posted, and see that of 87,389 winning tickets 349 paid about 10% more than they would have in other states. Only 2 of the 87,389 got less than they would have in other states.

The average payouts for California players will be the same as the payouts for players in non-parimutuel states. Unlike those other states, players in California will have the option of paying attention to recent results and making a point of playing when the payout is likely to be more than the standard payout in other states.

Everybody, everwhere, has the option of not playing if they don't like the rules or the likely prizes.

United States
            Member #5599
            July 13, 2004
            1192 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2013, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

California is operating on a system that was approved by the voters.Just the other day some State paid out multi millions for pick 4 winners when the money collected was much less than that which was paid out. When the State lottery functions in the Red, major trouble looms.California knows about deficits. ...

Correct me if I am wrong, but the voter approval was before either Mega Millions or Powerball were available. The laws need to be amended for the national platform.

I'm sure the other states are having thier financial up and downs also, but have not dumped the lottery. That would lead me to believe that they are making money the long run.

Thanks for your reply.

United States
              Member #5599
              July 13, 2004
              1192 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2013, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you should go back and read your last thread whining about California's parimutuel payouts. You could also pay attention to what you just posted, and see that of 87,389 winning tickets 349 paid about 10% more than they would have in other states. Only 2 of the 87,389 got less than they would have in other states.

The average payouts for California players will be the same as the payouts for players in non-parimutuel states. Unlike those other states, players in California will have the option of paying attention to recent results and making a point of playing when the payout is likely to be more than the standard payout in other states.

Everybody, everwhere, has the option of not playing if they don't like the rules or the likely prizes.

Well lets see..

2 players - 5 of 5 winners did not recieve 2 x $719,370 = $1,438,740 from the standard model.

4 players - 4 of 4 w/pb recieved 4 x $1,142 = $4,568 greated than the standard model.

138 players - 4 of 4 recieved 138 x $9 = $1242 greater than the standard model.

207 players - 3 of 3 w/pb recieved 207 x $14 = $2,898 greater than the standard model.

So....

$1,438,740 less than the standard model

$8,708 greater than the standard model

$ 1,430,032 dollars not awarded to the California winners for the last draw..........Highway robbery!!!!

Second guess when to play ????? Why should you have to ( because the state wants to jack more of your money) ???

Don't play ???? That will fix things. *L*

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4146 Posts
                Posted: April 25, 2013, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Correct me if I am wrong, but the voter approval was before either Mega Millions or Powerball were available. The laws need to be amended for the national platform.

I'm sure the other states are having thier financial up and downs also, but have not dumped the lottery. That would lead me to believe that they are making money the long run.

Thanks for your reply.

The lottery Committee meets on a regular basis in an open forum & invites participation.Of every Dollar played-97 cents goes back to the education system along with prizes.I take it that the amendments that you mentioned have already been addressed. Mega millions has been in the State for quite awhile. I have yet to hear of complaints from the State's residents of the lottery being " unfair"- its always coming from outsiders.

United States
                  Member #5599
                  July 13, 2004
                  1192 Posts
                  Posted: April 25, 2013, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

The lottery Committee meets on a regular basis in an open forum & invites participation.Of every Dollar played-97 cents goes back to the education system along with prizes.I take it that the amendments that you mentioned have already been addressed. Mega millions has been in the State for quite awhile. I have yet to hear of complaints from the State's residents of the lottery being " unfair"- its always coming from outsiders.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, consider this as a California resident who considers the Mega Millions and Powerball payout structure as unfair as compared to the numerous other states.

Extrapolating the figues for Powerball in my previous post..

$1,430,032 short fall for winners x 104 draws per year = $14,872,332 annually. For a billion dollar industry, is this enough to risk the reputation of the California lotterry on?

I can appreciate that you and others associated with the lottery are supportive of the current status.

However, doing so shows that there is apparently a conflict of interest in having the integrity to do the right thing...

Awarding the winners what is standard across the industry.

Getting outdated paramutel laws amended for a national platform.

These are only my opinions.

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4146 Posts
                    Posted: April 25, 2013, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

As a concerned non citizen of California- l would submit to you that you write the State Lottery Commission asking these questions.  I am sure this has been addressed in the past and the answers should be forthcoming. There is a reason why California has not followed the other States in their payout structure,  but hearing it from them may allow you to pull your horns in...in other words" get out of beast mode".

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: April 25, 2013, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

When I saw that the 2 second prize winners each won only $280,630 my jaw dropped. I know most of us will never hit the second prize but still....

That money's gone fo ever

Nutley, New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #131058
                        August 1, 2012
                        875 Posts
                        Posted: April 25, 2013, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

When I saw that the 2 second prize winners each won only $280,630 my jaw dropped. I know most of us will never hit the second prize but still....

hitting 5 without the Powerball is probably a once in a life time event, you should get at least a million dollars for it in my opinion.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4146 Posts
                          Posted: April 25, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

hitting 5 without the Powerball is probably a once in a life time event, you should get at least a million dollars for it in my opinion.

Earlier you posted that California does not have a State Tax on the Lottery.  If you factor in what the other States taxes haul  in from their winners- you would see the way California operates. You cant have it both ways.
                          Ultimately the question should be " will l ever win and if l did, would l moan about what l got in return from putting down a buck?"

Nutley, New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #131058
                            August 1, 2012
                            875 Posts
                            Posted: April 25, 2013, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Earlier you posted that California does not have a State Tax on the Lottery.  If you factor in what the other States taxes haul  in from their winners- you would see the way California operates. You cant have it both ways.
                            Ultimately the question should be " will l ever win and if l did, would l moan about what l got in return from putting down a buck?"

you can have it both ways. There are states that don't tax lottery winnings and payout a million for 5 without the Powerball.

"Ultimately the question should be " will l ever win and if l did, would l moan about what l got in return from putting down a buck?"

Please tell me where someone can buy Powerball tickets for one dollar. Last time I checked Powerball tickets were $2.

Why are you so quick to defend the California Lottery commission anyway? Do you work there or something? It's all about risk vs rewards. You are putting down a $2 wager against astronomical odds. Compare the payout for Mega Millions:

Matching NumbersWinning TicketsPrize Amount
                            5 + MEGA0$92,000,000
                            52$219,711
                            4 + MEGA10$6,159
                            4286$143
                            3 + MEGA350$133
                            313,240$7
                            2 + MEGA5,889$8
                            1 + MEGA34,571$2
                            MEGA61,329

$2

The payout for 5 without the Mega is $219,711. That's almost the same as the payout for 5 without the Powerball ($280,630) and the Mega Millions tickets are HALF the price.

Until the California Lottery commission does something about this I expect PB sales to continue to be sluggish and it won't matter how many slick Powerball commercials they crank out.

The only other thing that would help CA PB sales is if the PB jackpot is raised to some ungodly number, then all sense for most players are thrown out the window.

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4146 Posts
                              Posted: April 25, 2013, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Semantics- $1.00  instead of $2.00, come on whiten- if it makes you feel good " you got me there l will do a mea culpa..ok?"
                              As for defending the lottery, come on.l am merely pointing out the differences. Why does California not follow suit in lottery payouts? Perhaps you should look into it since they do not intend going the same route as other States, is that bad, they don't think so.