Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you ever get "winners curse" or remorse after a big win?

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2013, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

After a big win, you usually celebrate, right? But after a while, I've noticed that following a big win or wins, you usually encounter a long period of losing streak for a while after that. Any others see that?

I know about the gambler's fallacy and statistical probabilities of different games and all that, but sometimes I swear there is something else going on. Call it lady luck, call it the lottery gods, etc. SOMEBODY knows when you've won, and is keeping track, and will put you back in your place after a win.

Sometimes I will pray, "oh please lottery gods, forget that I won that 5 hundo, could ya? This is just between us...no one needs to know, eh? I can win another 5 hundo next week on another game, right?"

But the lottery gods will not allow chaos to rule, and inevitably, you are set back to your expected return by getting your butt kicked for a while after the win. Not only in that game you won, but across all of the games that you play.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2013, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

After a big win, you usually celebrate, right? But after a while, I've noticed that following a big win or wins, you usually encounter a long period of losing streak for a while after that. Any others see that?

I know about the gambler's fallacy and statistical probabilities of different games and all that, but sometimes I swear there is something else going on. Call it lady luck, call it the lottery gods, etc. SOMEBODY knows when you've won, and is keeping track, and will put you back in your place after a win.

Sometimes I will pray, "oh please lottery gods, forget that I won that 5 hundo, could ya? This is just between us...no one needs to know, eh? I can win another 5 hundo next week on another game, right?"

But the lottery gods will not allow chaos to rule, and inevitably, you are set back to your expected return by getting your butt kicked for a while after the win. Not only in that game you won, but across all of the games that you play.

LOL I'll let you know when I get the big win....Hopefully I can tell you about it soon

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2013, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Oh no.

You've opened the lottery equivalent of Pandora's Box.

You've quite possibly unleashed Jimmy.

And filled him with a terrible resolve.

He should be here any moment...

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke