Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a way around the gift taxes??

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 4 years ago by joshuacloak.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: April 30, 2013, 8:00 am - IP Logged

So if you won the jackpot and wanted to give someone a new car....like maybe they want a new let's say a corvette with all the bells and whistles...costs what maybe 50 60 thousand...could you buy it in your name then sell it to them at like maybe $100...would he then just be responsible for the yearly adjusted value only...or not?? Would it work for houses and other gifts too??

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
    Member #32537
    February 12, 2006
    698 Posts
    Posted: April 30, 2013, 8:11 am - IP Logged

its called a trust

aka you would be main trust beneficiary, how is simple, have lawyer handle all this part , they can set it up for your needs

u can supply a endless amount of names to trust as other for beneficiary then just u

then have trust give them all money u want, 

gift tax is must retarded tax out there

govt  first tax  the money when got to u,

, then tax's it again just for giving it away,that's double tax,  wtf greedy govt

anywot this joke of a tax  has loopholes size texas, just use trust route

irs cant claim u bypassing any gift tax, if money comes form trust  " the trust that collects prize and pays taxs on lottery prize, then gives it out to trust beneficiaries

issue fixed, good day sir

No bees, no honey.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: April 30, 2013, 9:50 am - IP Logged

One way to get around taxes on a house is to build it on property they already own.  That's how Extreme Makeover does it.  They lease the land, and build the house.  The loophole is that a property owner does not have to pay taxes on improvements that a tenant makes.

Of course that won't work if they hate their neighborhood and want to move.

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: April 30, 2013, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

its called a trust

aka you would be main trust beneficiary, how is simple, have lawyer handle all this part , they can set it up for your needs

u can supply a endless amount of names to trust as other for beneficiary then just u

, then tax's it again just for giving it away,that's double tax,  wtf greedy govt

irs cant claim u bypassing any gift tax, if money comes form trust  " the trust that collects prize and pays taxs on lottery prize, then gives it out to trust beneficiaries

Yes but what if you dont want to name friends in your trust??

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: April 30, 2013, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

I always wondered about simply opening an account and then adding someone else on as a co-signer. They would have access to it and be given a debit card and checks, but I would be the primary owner. I know when I was co-signer to someone else's account, it was them who had to deal with any tax implications of the account.

I've always planned on sharing some winnings with a really close friend and this would allow for that without having to deal with any dumb gift taxes.

Delaware
            United States
            Member #93503
            July 1, 2010
            453 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2013, 12:36 am - IP Logged

I always wondered about simply opening an account and then adding someone else on as a co-signer. They would have access to it and be given a debit card and checks, but I would be the primary owner. I know when I was co-signer to someone else's account, it was them who had to deal with any tax implications of the account.

I've always planned on sharing some winnings with a really close friend and this would allow for that without having to deal with any dumb gift taxes.

You'd have to REALLY REALLY trust that friend..

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
              Florida
              United States
              Member #61435
              May 22, 2008
              908 Posts
              Posted: May 1, 2013, 5:58 am - IP Logged

You'd have to REALLY REALLY trust that friend..

I think ttech10 means that you'd only put into that account what you wanted to give to that person......

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: May 1, 2013, 6:48 am - IP Logged

pre paid credit cards

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: May 1, 2013, 6:59 am - IP Logged

I do like that idea....but you'd have to make sure that they wouldn't overdraft that account

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                    Joplin MO
                    United States
                    Member #138489
                    January 28, 2013
                    190 Posts
                    Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:26 am - IP Logged

its called a trust

If I won enough and wanted to give away enough that gift taxes were an issue, I'd definitely go the 'trust' route ... assuming that I can't just have it split at the lottery office.

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: May 1, 2013, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

If I won enough and wanted to give away enough that gift taxes were an issue, I'd definitely go the 'trust' route ... assuming that I can't just have it split at the lottery office.

So you'd be ok with naming friends and neighbors in your trust ??

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                        Member #32537
                        February 12, 2006
                        698 Posts
                        Posted: May 1, 2013, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

u may have some major false assumptions about trusts or something going on

but they are By large and far, best option there is when it comes to sharing on YOUR terms

if i won say massive 200m , atfer taxes, lets just say its 100m CASH trust has now

i can  write up trust,  naming me   get say 99% or 99m  of money

then put in 5 friends names getting each 200k, 

now am guesting one false assumptions , is okay so I drop dead, now they get other 99m?

no no no no, u  can even write who gets Money if someone dies........... aka who gets your 99m share if u die. etc

its just is a  writen  contract

if u write whole thing your self, just like  freaking should do, its all on your terms

hance why u should get a great lawyer if u large winner, there many MANY trust lawyers all over freaking place

for instant, say am  wealthy man with no wife etc with billion in cash,   if i drop dead today,and have 4 kids,

u think okay so they each get 250m?   NOPE

govt comes in with there death tax, stealing  a lot of "40% with an exemption of $5 million ($10 million for couples)"

however, if dad wealth was in  TRUST, aka 1 billion  a trust, with trust spelling out, dad  wealth, he gets 99% of it, u kids x amount to live on

dad sure for much running the show,  however when he drops died, GOVT can't come in and CLAIM death tax,  no freaking 40% of a billion for them, or 400m if get the idea

it goes right to 4 kids, untaxed

now  same holds true for lottery winners

u can write up whatever terms u want,  who gets what, what amount, ETC,  what happens if 1 person dies , etc

it can all be covered

irs tax it once up front,  but ever time trust beneficiaries  take money out no TAX

sense its already been taxed first time

i use a trust if i was rich self made billioner or a lottery winner is my freaking point here,the thing is WHAT rich people USE

if your idea is how to best share millions of cash, then taking trust is  BEST

lets say your goal was how to race across a lake as fast as possible

a trust would be like packing a speed boat to race across the lake

now if refuse to  use speed boat, fine,   but its like grabbing a row your self boat, insisting the Kayak  paddle a better option then speed boatBang Head

there NOT many better options then speed boat on large lake, if your idea to freaking RACE across

just like a trust is best option over ever thing else

your asking us how to freaking share  money and get around gift taxes,  TAKE THE TRUST route, or  pick  a  Kayak paddle and have fun , u asked, u got told,   i give up on trying to spell it out so u can understand anymore Bash

No bees, no honey.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                          Joplin MO
                          United States
                          Member #138489
                          January 28, 2013
                          190 Posts
                          Posted: May 1, 2013, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I'd have to educate myself more on how trusts work, but from what little I've heard, I think naming family, friends, etc. would be ok.

I do appreciate all the good info that joshuacloak has posted concerning trusts!!!  I think, however, I would hire the lawyer familiar with trusts, instead of doing it myself ... just so I don't miss some legal thing that causes me grief.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6290 Posts
                            Posted: May 1, 2013, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

pre paid credit cards

LOL good oneBig Grin

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: May 1, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

u may have some major false assumptions about trusts or something going on

but they are By large and far, best option there is when it comes to sharing on YOUR terms

if i won say massive 200m , atfer taxes, lets just say its 100m CASH trust has now

i can  write up trust,  naming me   get say 99% or 99m  of money

then put in 5 friends names getting each 200k, 

now am guesting one false assumptions , is okay so I drop dead, now they get other 99m?

no no no no, u  can even write who gets Money if someone dies........... aka who gets your 99m share if u die. etc

its just is a  writen  contract

if u write whole thing your self, just like  freaking should do, its all on your terms

hance why u should get a great lawyer if u large winner, there many MANY trust lawyers all over freaking place

for instant, say am  wealthy man with no wife etc with billion in cash,   if i drop dead today,and have 4 kids,

u think okay so they each get 250m?   NOPE

govt comes in with there death tax, stealing  a lot of "40% with an exemption of $5 million ($10 million for couples)"

however, if dad wealth was in  TRUST, aka 1 billion  a trust, with trust spelling out, dad  wealth, he gets 99% of it, u kids x amount to live on

dad sure for much running the show,  however when he drops died, GOVT can't come in and CLAIM death tax,  no freaking 40% of a billion for them, or 400m if get the idea

it goes right to 4 kids, untaxed

now  same holds true for lottery winners

u can write up whatever terms u want,  who gets what, what amount, ETC,  what happens if 1 person dies , etc

it can all be covered

irs tax it once up front,  but ever time trust beneficiaries  take money out no TAX

sense its already been taxed first time

i use a trust if i was rich self made billioner or a lottery winner is my freaking point here,the thing is WHAT rich people USE

if your idea is how to best share millions of cash, then taking trust is  BEST

lets say your goal was how to race across a lake as fast as possible

a trust would be like packing a speed boat to race across the lake

now if refuse to  use speed boat, fine,   but its like grabbing a row your self boat, insisting the Kayak  paddle a better option then speed boatBang Head

there NOT many better options then speed boat on large lake, if your idea to freaking RACE across

just like a trust is best option over ever thing else

your asking us how to freaking share  money and get around gift taxes,  TAKE THE TRUST route, or  pick  a  Kayak paddle and have fun , u asked, u got told,   i give up on trying to spell it out so u can understand anymore Bash

So this would work if I just wanted to give a one-time gift to someone as well then?