Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: If you win a huge jackpot...

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 4 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Who would you be most expecting to put 'the bite' on you?

Family [ 10 ]  [29.41%]
Friends [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Co-workers [ 1 ]  [2.94%]
Acquaintances [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
"Long lost" relatives and or strangers [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Exes (ex spouses, lovers) [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Your church [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other churches [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Charities [ 4 ]  [11.76%]
Other [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: May 3, 2013, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Who do you think would be the first to put "the bite" on you?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
    Nutley, New Jersey
    United States
    Member #131058
    August 1, 2012
    875 Posts
    Posted: May 3, 2013, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

I voted, "other." There should have been an option for federal/state government. Before I'd even get the check, 25% would be withheld for federal income tax, then I'd owe even more when I file my income tax at the end of the year because the top marginal tax rate is 39.6%.

Giving to family, charities, etc are all voluntary, try not paying your taxes and see what happens.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 3, 2013, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Probably the professional beggars who prey on lottery winners.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40431 Posts
        Posted: May 3, 2013, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I voted other, pretty sure the rotten government will take the biggest bite and will continue to chew away at every given opportunity.Red Devil

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8361 Posts
          Posted: May 3, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

CT    You missed an important choice = Everybody

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: May 3, 2013, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Uncle whats his faceWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: May 4, 2013, 12:16 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies, I just figured taxes as a known 'given' for everyone.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                NY
                United States
                Member #121961
                January 21, 2012
                3157 Posts
                Posted: May 4, 2013, 12:54 am - IP Logged

I voted, "other." There should have been an option for federal/state government. Before I'd even get the check, 25% would be withheld for federal income tax, then I'd owe even more when I file my income tax at the end of the year because the top marginal tax rate is 39.6%.

Giving to family, charities, etc are all voluntary, try not paying your taxes and see what happens.

Right, the taxman has teeth like a Beaver.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #129225
                  June 13, 2012
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2013, 6:51 am - IP Logged

I agree with this you don't even collect the check before they take the first bite and the second is just months away!

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: May 4, 2013, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies, I just figured taxes as a known 'given' for everyone.

taxes are definitely a given but I don't think most people who play the lottery are aware of their tax obligations. I bought Sandra Hayes's book off amazon, she wrote about her experience winning powerball. In the book she thought the 25% federal withholding that was taken out automatically before she got her check was all she had to pay and she was shocked to find out she owed even more taxes at the end of the year.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                      TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: May 4, 2013, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I was thinkin'...with a new cell phone #, a temp move to a rental and the mail on hold.....I don't think anyone will be getting ahold of me No No But I have been wrong before.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19797 Posts
                        Posted: May 5, 2013, 3:55 am - IP Logged

Who do you think would be the first to put "the bite" on you?

i would hope to get some Mail For Youfrom people i don't know 

Let it Snow Snowman

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                          Member #32537
                          February 12, 2006
                          698 Posts
                          Posted: May 5, 2013, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

i find any powerball/mega millions winner like Sandra Hayes to be morons

who the hell claims such a large jackpot  and then has no idea about more taxes then 25% withholding rates 

its like did they even brother to talk to a lawyer who even understand taxes ? who could of told them about tax rate being much higher then 25%

no sir, no these "special retards" of winners

i vote other,

the top bite will come form your own self, a lot of lottery winners are there  own worst enemy.

stupid can't be fixed, stupidity before lottery win  is on steroids atfer a win ..............

now besides stupid people being there own worst enemy/bite  , for smart people it be......

worst bite for young people would be parents"we taken care of u all these years , u owe us some money"

and for old people, "we kids always been given stuff,why stop the pattern now,  hand it over dad/mom Cool"   

ya family  a beep like that, even smart people got to deal with it.

as for other options on list, ,  a smart winner can avoid all that, just claim in trust/whatever and have no one Know,  ofc parents/kids will know,hance why i bring them up

also to any sucker"real special in mind " that takes  Annuity,  inflation is a bitch,and it bite u more then anything

take a look at  1993, 30 years ago, it be about 61.1% inflation sense then to 2013

that major lost over time.

u need investments that pay a nice % yes , but also keep principal etc above inflation while earning more

hance why i said yourself is best enemy ,

i dont see many lottery winners who are richer then they was when they WON over long term

this makes no sense to someone like me,  who reads investment stuff,and understands rich should be getting richer as rule

give me 100m and i have 107m in 1 year 

to claim more then around 7% will,  u better be ready to beat the market, gl on that one.

hell even dumbest people could earn millions, just pick divind index funds

index funds just try to mirror market returns, aka they don't even try to outsmart the market, its just large collection of top dividend stocks overall,

its like how stupid can these lottery winners of past be

, do they even brother going to people who manage big bucks, sure as hell not looks like it,

so i always say claim largest bait is form lottery winner them self,  then family, and not guy next door they went to for help

guy next door invester is just as stupid as u folks    u don't go to people for investment idea's who manage cilents with accounts with less money then u

u go to freaking investers who manage big money,  if your dumb, u go guy next door, have fun with results.ROFL

it blows my mind how much money lottery winners can waste,  god bless them for entertainment value thro, 

i enjoy news stories

"ofc i understand the fact some are richer now then when they  lottery  ", they just don't show them selfs to public,and all we get is majority of loser lottery stories vs few richer over time stories."

No bees, no honey.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: May 5, 2013, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

i didnt vote, needed an all of the above option.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297