Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's said that Non US residents won a US Jackpot before,any press about this?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Original Bey.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Japan
Member #131605
August 14, 2012
372 Posts
Posted: May 3, 2013, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

And...how would you (American, resident) feel if the next jackpot, specificaly, the next record jackpot was won by an individual or group from another Nation?

Some 'o you will try an be polite like "oh...it's fine. they were here an won...could of been anybody" but you know dam well you'd be kinda pi55ed. heheh

Let's say PB breaks the record an hits $700million but it is won by one ticket...purchased ONLINE(?) by someone in....Torun, Poland

Crying

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4108 Posts
    Posted: May 3, 2013, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

And...how would you (American, resident) feel if the next jackpot, specificaly, the next record jackpot was won by an individual or group from another Nation?

Some 'o you will try an be polite like "oh...it's fine. they were here an won...could of been anybody" but you know dam well you'd be kinda pi55ed. heheh

Let's say PB breaks the record an hits $700million but it is won by one ticket...purchased ONLINE(?) by someone in....Torun, Poland

Crying

If you put your money down and won with a ticket bought through a LEGAL US lottery terminal in the USA....

Party

Nice post Bey.

Powerball tickets can only legally be purchased at a state lottery sales terminal in the lottery jurisdictions that sells the Powerball game. A lottery can also legally sell tickets on the Internet, but only to persons within its own state. No one can sell lottery tickets by mail or over the Internet across state lines or the U.S. national border. No one. Not even us. No one."

Hope you caught that Japan.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
      Member #133462
      September 30, 2012
      5946 Posts
      Posted: May 3, 2013, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

CAN I BUY POWERBALL TICKETS THROUGH THE INTERNET?

Some lotteries do sell TO THEIR RESIDENTS through the Internet but generally, no, at least not in the way that you might hope. Powerball tickets can only legally be purchased at a state lottery sales terminal in the lottery jurisdictions that sells the Powerball game. A lottery can also legally sell tickets on the Internet, but only to persons within its own state. No one can sell lottery tickets by mail or over the Internet across state lines or the U.S. national border. No one. Not even us. No one. No, not even that web site. Or that one. You really don't need to send me questions about a specific site. Like all others, that one also cannot legally sell lottery tickets across a state border or the U.S. border. No.

Any Internet lottery site that purports to sell Powerball tickets, or “shares” of Powerball tickets to purchasers or to run a “service” for you, is operating illegally. They are not authorized by the Multi-State Lottery Association or by any U.S. lottery. There are legal Internet sales of lottery tickets in some states or countries, but only within the borders of that state/country or by agreement between nations. The United States has no agreements with any other nation to allow lottery tickets sales across the national border.

The laws of your state prohibit the purchase of another state’s lottery ticket across state lines. Federal laws also make out-of-state lottery plays across a state line illegal. You can legally travel to another state, buy a ticket, and bring it back to your home state. If it ever does become legal, we will sell tickets here. No.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: May 3, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Why do l get the feeling that Anfang71 has been purchasing Mega Millions & Powerball tickets over the internet for awhile and this post from Original Bey has shattered the dream?

Any Internet lottery site that purports to sell Powerball tickets, or “shares” of Powerball tickets to purchasers or to run a “service” for you, is operating illegally. They are not authorized by the Multi-State Lottery Association or by any U.S. lottery."

Bang Head

Japan
          Member #131605
          August 14, 2012
          372 Posts
          Posted: May 4, 2013, 3:08 am - IP Logged

No dream of mine has been shattered, your 'feeling' is wrong. I'm a citizen of USA and if I need tickets I send me brother some money. I would never buy online. Hell, I think the Lotter charges $3.something for one line[Powerball...last time I checked]...and if your ticket was to win there is nothing...NOTHING (atleast it seems so) stopping the(some) idiots from that company finding a way to not give you your ticket/prize. Hell don't older people fall for phone scams...so I'm sure some sweet sounding gentleman can convince someone He "lost" the ticket or do to some inconvienance "never purchased the ticket/purchased it late for the next draw" then wait about 5-6 months and then CLAIM IT! The duped individual would have no idea (most likely) that it was claimed.

pfft! I didn't need advice on buying tickets online. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on if someone won.... I don't think some non resident should be allowed to win...and that is for any Nation, as my personal opinion. Same here in Japan...your allowed to play an win it's lottery..... but the overal vibe from the Japanese is they ....REALLY don't want foreingners to win. ehehehehe

Arigato gazaimasu!

Danke Schoen

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
            Nutley, New Jersey
            United States
            Member #131058
            August 1, 2012
            875 Posts
            Posted: May 4, 2013, 5:33 am - IP Logged

No dream of mine has been shattered, your 'feeling' is wrong. I'm a citizen of USA and if I need tickets I send me brother some money. I would never buy online. Hell, I think the Lotter charges $3.something for one line[Powerball...last time I checked]...and if your ticket was to win there is nothing...NOTHING (atleast it seems so) stopping the(some) idiots from that company finding a way to not give you your ticket/prize. Hell don't older people fall for phone scams...so I'm sure some sweet sounding gentleman can convince someone He "lost" the ticket or do to some inconvienance "never purchased the ticket/purchased it late for the next draw" then wait about 5-6 months and then CLAIM IT! The duped individual would have no idea (most likely) that it was claimed.

pfft! I didn't need advice on buying tickets online. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on if someone won.... I don't think some non resident should be allowed to win...and that is for any Nation, as my personal opinion. Same here in Japan...your allowed to play an win it's lottery..... but the overal vibe from the Japanese is they ....REALLY don't want foreingners to win. ehehehehe

Arigato gazaimasu!

Danke Schoen

I don't think a lottery would ever stop a non resident from playing. It's too profitable for the lotteries to sell as many tickets as possible since most tickets end up being worthless pieces of paper after the drawing. Even if they decided to have a rule designed to stop non residents from playing, it would be difficult to enforce such a rule. I for one, wouldn't want some clerk at the 7-eleven asking me for my passport or SS number to prove my citizenship.

Someone might say well, we would allow non residents to play the lottery, we just wouldn't allow them to collect the prize. That to me would be completely unethical. I look at buying a lottery ticket as like placing a wager. The person buying the ticket is wagering these numbers will be picked for the drawing, by accepting the money from the lottery player, the lottery is accepting the wager and if in the unlikely event, the person matched the winning numbers at the night of the draw then it is up to the lottery commission to make good on the bet.

Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: May 4, 2013, 6:10 am - IP Logged

Well Anfang71- you started your post by saying " You  Americans, residents" how in creation is one to know you one if you open up a sentence that way?That indicates to me you are an outsider also defined as an alien...sorry but it came off that way.
              How's the Sashimi?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23267 Posts
                Posted: May 4, 2013, 7:04 am - IP Logged

Why do l get the feeling that Anfang71 has been purchasing Mega Millions & Powerball tickets over the internet for awhile and this post from Original Bey has shattered the dream?

Any Internet lottery site that purports to sell Powerball tickets, or “shares” of Powerball tickets to purchasers or to run a “service” for you, is operating illegally. They are not authorized by the Multi-State Lottery Association or by any U.S. lottery."

Bang Head

That sentence you quoted is an OPINION, not a fact.  In truth, it is probably wrong, as several court cases have held that lottery butler services have operated legally in the past. Further, there have been cases where a butler service has purchased a jackpot-winning ticket for a customer, and the lottery was forced by the court to pay out the jackpot to the customer because it was NOT illegal.  I am also aware of many second prize wins (including from thelotter) where there was no problem at all getting paid the prize.

So just because that statement is on the Powerball website, it does not make it true. Do you believe everything you read?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2013, 7:44 am - IP Logged

That sentence you quoted is an OPINION, not a fact.  In truth, it is probably wrong, as several court cases have held that lottery butler services have operated legally in the past. Further, there have been cases where a butler service has purchased a jackpot-winning ticket for a customer, and the lottery was forced by the court to pay out the jackpot to the customer because it was NOT illegal.  I am also aware of many second prize wins (including from thelotter) where there was no problem at all getting paid the prize.

So just because that statement is on the Powerball website, it does not make it true. Do you believe everything you read?

Thanks for the clarification Todd, that too was my opinion. Do l believe everything l read?- surely you jest.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: May 4, 2013, 8:08 am - IP Logged

Well Anfang71- you started your post by saying " You  Americans, residents" how in creation is one to know you one if you open up a sentence that way?That indicates to me you are an outsider also defined as an alien...sorry but it came off that way.
                    How's the Sashimi?

he wrote "And...how would you (American, resident)"

that means an American residing in the US. You can be an American living outside of the US which would make you an American non-resident. An example would be people in the US military stationed in other countries like Japan.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: May 4, 2013, 8:58 am - IP Logged

being a foreigner  i am will to bet my buck on it getting paid out.  consider the extra %10 tyax i wll be paying , i think no american should be annoyed when i WIN. YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY SOMEONE ELSE IS PAYING  YOUR GOV  EXCESSES.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Japan
                        Member #131605
                        August 14, 2012
                        372 Posts
                        Posted: May 4, 2013, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

How's the Sashimi?

Well it's alright I suppose. No matter discussing it further hehehehe

Hey now the sashimi is quite good.... Actualy I'm thinking of going out in a bit do dine on some. I'll think about winning the $191million dollars from Powerball...ehhh, well.... My bro has yet to respond to me on if he got the tickets or not :/

Bahamas
                          Member #133462
                          September 30, 2012
                          5946 Posts
                          Posted: May 4, 2013, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Well it's alright I suppose. No matter discussing it further hehehehe

Hey now the sashimi is quite good.... Actualy I'm thinking of going out in a bit do dine on some. I'll think about winning the $191million dollars from Powerball...ehhh, well.... My bro has yet to respond to me on if he got the tickets or not :/

How easily would you be able to get out of Japan to make your claim if you won?

Japan
                            Member #131605
                            August 14, 2012
                            372 Posts
                            Posted: May 5, 2013, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

How easily would you be able to get out of Japan to make your claim if you won?

I can say within a week or two. heeh...But depending on what I was doing I could wait longer. But yes, generally I believe it be about 1 or 2 weeks. Would not put it passed leaving sooner.

Cool

Bahamas
                              Member #133462
                              September 30, 2012
                              5946 Posts
                              Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I can say within a week or two. heeh...But depending on what I was doing I could wait longer. But yes, generally I believe it be about 1 or 2 weeks. Would not put it passed leaving sooner.

Cool

If for ANY reason you have trouble getting back to the Sunshine State, I offer a service that will process the claim and even go above and beyond and spend the cash for you so you don't have that awful headache. Wink