Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:01 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Professional Beggars...??

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PlayToWin47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #61435
May 22, 2008
910 Posts
Posted: May 5, 2013, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

The other day Rdgrnr said, "Probably the professional beggars who prey on lottery winners," in response to a question in another thread.

My question is this, are there really professional beggars who target every large lottery winner in the country?  If so, how much do you think they make per year doing it?  How can Lottery winners thwart them in the first place?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19964 Posts
    Posted: May 5, 2013, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

The other day Rdgrnr said, "Probably the professional beggars who prey on lottery winners," in response to a question in another thread.

My question is this, are there really professional beggars who target every large lottery winner in the country?  If so, how much do you think they make per year doing it?  How can Lottery winners thwart them in the first place?

this reminds me of a story i read the other day about a homeless guy winning on the lottery he went back to his homeless place and gave his homeless buddys all $100.00 each

said he was gonna buy his self a new tent guess they really don't ask for much

so point being why not help a fellow out sometimes Patriot

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
      Member #128790
      June 2, 2012
      5431 Posts
      Posted: May 5, 2013, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I haven't sought out the data on lottery beggars, but have read many articles of supposed homeless folk who make a nice living begging in general. Some of them have been known to have nice stacks under their bed.

So if that's possible, I'd have to imagine lottery begggars are possible too.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: May 5, 2013, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

It seems every lottery jackpot winner whose identity is known complains of the deluge of mail they get from people begging for money for their own personal "crisis".

I remember seeing a lottery winner on tv (might have been TLCML) showing a duffle bag full of mail and saying he gets piles of it everyday.

I would have to surmise that these people don't just pick out one person to do this to but rather every winner whose address they can get.

And for all we know, it may be a lucrative endeavor.

Personally, I don't think I'd want all those people knowing my address.

If your state gives out your personal info, I guess all you can do is try to take some kind of evasive action.

Because they also show up at your door from what I've read in the past.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4145 Posts
          Posted: May 5, 2013, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

It seems every lottery jackpot winner whose identity is known complains of the deluge of mail they get from people begging for money for their own personal "crisis".

I remember seeing a lottery winner on tv (might have been TLCML) showing a duffle bag full of mail and saying he gets piles of it everyday.

I would have to surmise that these people don't just pick out one person to do this to but rather every winner whose address they can get.

And for all we know, it may be a lucrative endeavor.

Personally, I don't think I'd want all those people knowing my address.

If your state gives out your personal info, I guess all you can do is try to take some kind of evasive action.

Because they also show up at your door from what I've read in the past.

I agree with Ridge here..if you can get professional mourners at grave sides, why not these characters.They have been known to ask the person hiring them" Did we perform to your satisfaction?".
          Signed: The Damascus Mourners.

Inland Empire
            United States
            Member #118116
            October 22, 2011
            322 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2013, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

I haven't sought out the data on lottery beggars, but have read many articles of supposed homeless folk who make a nice living begging in general. Some of them have been known to have nice stacks under their bed.

So if that's possible, I'd have to imagine lottery begggars are possible too.

The real problem is that they are nutcases and don't know how to use the money. That's how they build up the stack under their bed.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10391 Posts
              Posted: May 6, 2013, 1:22 am - IP Logged

rdgrnr,

I think the guy showing the sack of mail was either David Lee Edwards or the jp winner in NM that had the former employee vandalize his shop.

Whichever one it was said they had asked the post office not to deliver it and the post office said if they knew where he was they had to deliver it and a lot of the mail was simply addressed to:

Lottery winner

Florida

(Or NM)

So I guess it doesn't matter if they know your exact address or not as far as such mail getting to you.

I think it was Artist who had the idea of a jp winner making a book out of such letters.

BuyLow,

The professional begars don't limit themselves to lottery winners. They go after any cash rich target.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4145 Posts
                Posted: May 6, 2013, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Well here is a story that can make us all feel good Coin Toss.

Single mother's simple error earns her $14 million lottery prize

Published May 05, 2013

FoxNews.com

At the intersection of Fate and Lotto, Thuan Le made a very fortunate error.

The California single mother of four is thanking her lucky stars after mistakenly slipping an extra dollar into the self-service Lotto machine at her local CVS store in Mission Viejo.

That superfluous dollar wound up getting Le the SuperLotto Plus ticket holding the five winning numbers -- 5, 33, 25, 46, 32 -- plus the Mega number, 26, selected randomly in the April 24  drawing.

In all, Le won a $14 million jackpot.

“Thuan Le is a hardworking single mother of four sons,” according to a release from the California Lottery.

“She is also very excitable. In fact, when she ran her SuperLotto Plus ticket through the terminal and realized she had won a $14 million jackpot, she ran screaming out of the store!”

Le reportedly plans to buy a house, travel, and visit her parents in Vietnam with the proceeds.

According to the lottery website, Le and a friend would normally go together and buy their lottery tickets at the same time. But on that fateful April day, Le went by herself to purchase her usual $4 worth of POWERBALL® and $1 in SuperLotto Plus.

“She accidentally put $6 in the self-service terminal and bought her tickets,” the lottery reported. “When she realized she still had $1 in credit, she thought, ‘I might as well get another SuperLotto Plus ticket.’ That sixth ticket was the winner.”..Must have been a QP....

It had been approximately a month – and eight unsuccessful drawings -- since anyone picked all six numbers to win the SuperLotto Plus jackpot when Le won the grand prize, according to a local Patch.com website.

The odds of winning are about 1 in 42 million, according to the California lottery.

You Go ...  Thuan Le

Party

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

* George Bernard Shaw.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2679 Posts
                  Posted: May 6, 2013, 7:01 am - IP Logged

rdgrnr,

I think the guy showing the sack of mail was either David Lee Edwards or the jp winner in NM that had the former employee vandalize his shop.

Whichever one it was said they had asked the post office not to deliver it and the post office said if they knew where he was they had to deliver it and a lot of the mail was simply addressed to:

Lottery winner

Florida

(Or NM)

So I guess it doesn't matter if they know your exact address or not as far as such mail getting to you.

I think it was Artist who had the idea of a jp winner making a book out of such letters.

BuyLow,

The professional begars don't limit themselves to lottery winners. They go after any cash rich target.

Idea T'was New Mexico and the guy as I vaguely recall had some kind of repair shop

lotto winnerbeggars 

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: May 6, 2013, 7:15 am - IP Logged

just as long as they are professional. I hate amateurs. LOL

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                      Member #32537
                      February 12, 2006
                      698 Posts
                      Posted: May 6, 2013, 11:43 am - IP Logged

we live in world where, majority of people who vote, vote in people who Will steal other people's money, to pay for stuff they"the voters" want

its theft on grand scale, they just think people Owe them a living,   god forbid they work hard for 100% of what they  have, no sir, 

now add in someone who didn't earn that Money, like lottery winners and  ofc u have  beggars all around the lifes of lottery winners

its mentel heath issue of some people in human race is evil and heartless when it comes to money

, people think Govt  a ATM to withdraw money form , and lottery winners are just a other ATM to withdraw form , they go it can't hurt to ask etc

beg beg beg beg. o the heart tearing sob stories lottery winners get,  That show others have talked about on TLC, was full of proof

the sec u say your giving money away, or going to help"people" u just invited ever scum of earth who can't handle earning a living into your life to beg u

now we know by amount of people in jail, yes out in world, there live a ton of con artists," a person who uses a fraud " tricks etc

i would not say there someone 24/7 hunting"just" lottery winners, as there just  endless supply of people who take a shot at u if they know your info

the fact is, % of human have no issue murdering someone, just like a % of humans have no issue, taking other people cash by con/force/whatever works

now add in fact, lottery winers didn't "earn" that cash,and  like democrats mindset, its 100% okay to ask/demand/beg/ whatever to get that money

so beware folks, claim in a trust to hide, if in state that demands public name find a way to hide, like legal name change granted in a  "my life threaten/at risk" request to get around public/loopjole thro public record laws

the judge grant u name change. he seal the records form public,  u just be a name no one seen or heard of public, 

vest majority of name changes are public thro, so  no one thinks of to abuse the life at risk loophole to hide a name change.

live in freedom form these evil folks in the world,  don't be a easy target for them!

sadly,   must folks are not that smart to hide,let alone do they even brother to hire lawyers who can pull this stuff off easy,

so  we have  tons of stories of beggars around lottery winners

even lottery winner stories of people being murdered for  the lottery money, 

see guy who got killed by girl managing hes money,  or the guy that got Posioned to death and family all like Boxing,  its like, WTF

No bees, no honey.

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: May 6, 2013, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

just as long as they are professional. I hate amateurs. LOL

I Agree! I think I would enjoy becoming a professional at saying NO. Green laugh

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: May 6, 2013, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

By any other name a nut is still a nut. I like nuts.

u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19964 Posts
                            Posted: May 6, 2013, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

By any other name a nut is still a nut. I like nuts.

Patriot

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19964 Posts
                              Posted: May 6, 2013, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! I think I would enjoy becoming a professional at saying NO. Green laugh

it's not nice to say No No

Let it Snow Snowman