Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can the MM/PB bouncing balls be rigged?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PlayToWin47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think it's possible for the Mega Millions or Powerball bouncing balls draws to be rigged?

No, I don't think MM/PB draws can be rigged. [ 6 ]  [27.27%]
Yes, I think MM/PB draws can be rigged. [ 8 ]  [36.36%]
Yes, they can be rigged, and it probably happened! [ 8 ]  [36.36%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Do you think it's possible for the Mega Millions or Powerball bouncing balls draws to be rigged?

You may already know of the previous case of the rigged balls in the Pennsylvania Lottery scandal. But the MM/PB Jackpot games would be harder to pull off.

Do you think it's possible with the current format of the televised draws? How could it be done? Do you think it ever has been done? (undetected) Has anyone ever witnessed a MM/PB draw in person?

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

You may already know of the previous case of the rigged balls in the Pennsylvania Lottery scandal. But the MM/PB Jackpot games would be harder to pull off.

Do you think it's possible with the current format of the televised draws? How could it be done? Do you think it ever has been done? (undetected) Has anyone ever witnessed a MM/PB draw in person?

With so much money on the line, I would not be surprised to find out that it happened.

Hollywood, fl
      United States
      Member #140096
      March 10, 2013
      376 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

They could be, it seems that they do roll over mor then they should

United States
        Member #124493
        March 14, 2012
        7023 Posts
        Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

With so much money on the line, I would not be surprised to find out that it happened.

With so much money on the line, I dont think the risk would be worth the reward.

It would not be wise to piss off 100 million players.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Anything can be rigged, even mechanical ball machines.

But computers can be rigged to win and leave no evidence of it.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4792 Posts
            Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Yes, by will of my mind, I will telekinetically move the balls to the numbers I have chosen.Shocked

J'aime La France.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
              California
              United States
              Member #112364
              June 17, 2011
              661 Posts
              Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

With so much money on the line, I dont think the risk would be worth the reward.

It would not be wise to piss off 100 million players.

So, what would happen if a draw is rigged but they don't find out until a year later?

Would they have another draw? What if the winner from the 2nd draw already discarded the ticket?

What would happen to winners who didn't rig the machine but won something (big and small)? Would they have to return the money they already spent?

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                Joplin MO
                United States
                Member #138489
                January 28, 2013
                190 Posts
                Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Anything can be rigged, even mechanical ball machines.

But computers can be rigged to win and leave no evidence of it.

Yup ... I agree!!!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: May 10, 2013, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

So, what would happen if a draw is rigged but they don't find out until a year later?

Would they have another draw? What if the winner from the 2nd draw already discarded the ticket?

What would happen to winners who didn't rig the machine but won something (big and small)? Would they have to return the money they already spent?

A number of years ago this " rigging" was pulled off. Some balls were altered allowing a close friend to collect the jackpot. Somehow word got out and it was rectified. Its probably on YouTube. Since that incident the lottery folk have taken extra precautions. I think it may have happened in Illinois or one of those States,  certainly not on the West Coast.

Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: May 10, 2013, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

The draw would have to stand.

And actually, all the other players did nothing wrong, they matched the drawn numbers to various degrees, and would keep their prizes. The lottery would not be out any more money than they would be with a fair draw, so they are covered. That number, even if rigged, is the same as any other number to the rest of the players.

For the perps though, that's a different story. They were betting with inside information and committing fraud. Their monies would be pursued for recovery. If they did it by covering many numbers and happened to hit on a lot of 2nd/3rd prizes, that would be an unexpected loss,(except in CA pari-mutuel) but also easier to detect.

But even if they won just the jackpot alone, the lottery would not be out any more money than they would be otherwise, it's all funded by sales. The damage is to the integrity of the game.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                      United States
                      Member #33372
                      February 20, 2006
                      1044 Posts
                      Posted: May 11, 2013, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

I believe Kentucky is the guilty State.  An employee was found guilty of shooting a drop of water in several balls thus adding to their weight.  He (or she) then played the other numbers.  Of course the ball were those ping pong type balls with all the incorrect numbers painted on them.  I say incorrect because the numbers I play don't match what pops out of the machine.

Feel free to correct me if Kentucky was not the State.  Otherwise, my mind is made up.  Don't confuse me with facts.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7314 Posts
                        Posted: May 11, 2013, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I believe Kentucky is the guilty State.  An employee was found guilty of shooting a drop of water in several balls thus adding to their weight.  He (or she) then played the other numbers.  Of course the ball were those ping pong type balls with all the incorrect numbers painted on them.  I say incorrect because the numbers I play don't match what pops out of the machine.

Feel free to correct me if Kentucky was not the State.  Otherwise, my mind is made up.  Don't confuse me with facts.

It happened in 1980 in Pennsylvania.

All of the balls except 4 and 6 were weighted, meaning that the drawing was almost sure to be a combination of only 4s and 6s. The scheme was successful in that 666, an expected result, was drawn on April 24, 1980; however, the unusual betting patterns alerted authorities to the matter. The chief conspirators were sent to prison, and most of the fraudulently acquired winnings were never paid out.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: May 11, 2013, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

They could be rigged, but test draws would probably show a problem and void them.

Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #103813
                            January 5, 2011
                            1530 Posts
                            Posted: May 11, 2013, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

So far in voting, 3 to 1 (12:4) think they can be rigged. I didn't think it would be that much, or especially those that think it was done already! (half of those that said yes)

I'm up for a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but always approach it from an analytical perspective. Just because you have physical ball draws, should not make you fall into a false sense of security. Magicians have relied on this kind of misdirection with a physical apparatus for centuries, making you think objects are more solid or larger than they appear, etc.

I can think of a way to do it, that doesn't rely on the weight of the balls. Has to do with the timing of pulling the poop chute or pushing the plunger, but PB looks slightly harder than MM to pull off. Not completely sure if it would work because I don't know all of the things they check. But if their main response after the 1980 Triple Six Fix was more security, then the main vulnerability is still there: human greed and deception.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                              Joplin MO
                              United States
                              Member #138489
                              January 28, 2013
                              190 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

The draw would have to stand.

And actually, all the other players did nothing wrong, they matched the drawn numbers to various degrees, and would keep their prizes. The lottery would not be out any more money than they would be with a fair draw, so they are covered. That number, even if rigged, is the same as any other number to the rest of the players.

For the perps though, that's a different story. They were betting with inside information and committing fraud. Their monies would be pursued for recovery. If they did it by covering many numbers and happened to hit on a lot of 2nd/3rd prizes, that would be an unexpected loss,(except in CA pari-mutuel) but also easier to detect.

But even if they won just the jackpot alone, the lottery would not be out any more money than they would be otherwise, it's all funded by sales. The damage is to the integrity of the game.

Sure, the players did nothing wrong, and it was great that they won (with rigged numbers) ...  but what about the players that would have / should have won had the numbers not been rigged?  They got ripped off!!!