Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Hot Lotto

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 4 years ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Delaware
United States
Member #93503
July 1, 2010
453 Posts
Posted: May 12, 2013, 2:54 am - IP Logged

So the hot lotto game has changed and on the website it's say $6,160,000 tax withholding paid. so essientially you still owe the other 14.6% in taxes?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Right.

I got an email from my state lottery saying that all taxes are paid - which I assume means state taxes also.  Hope so, since mine charges another almost 8%.

But they don't normally withhold state taxes, do they?  So it's possible none of the state taxes are covered if you read it that way.  Dead

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4788 Posts
      Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I thought it meant the 25% that lotteries typically withhold and then you owe the rest (state and any additional federal)?

J'aime La France.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:29 am - IP Logged

What if a New Yorker bought HotLotto in New Hampshire and won. NH has no state taxes on lottery and is a member of Hot Lotto while NYC has city, state and federal taxes on lottery winnings and does not carrry Hot Lotto. How will they decide this sitiwation? will the New Yorker get all his taxes paid?

That money's gone fo ever

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #129225
          June 13, 2012
          546 Posts
          Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:45 am - IP Logged

What if a New Yorker bought HotLotto in New Hampshire and won. NH has no state taxes on lottery and is a member of Hot Lotto while NYC has city, state and federal taxes on lottery winnings and does not carrry Hot Lotto. How will they decide this sitiwation? will the New Yorker get all his taxes paid?

I believe they only pay the 25% due to the fed when you validate your ticket, you are then responsible for your state, local and additional fed taxes.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2013, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

The little Hot Lotto insert they put with the playslips in Tennessee mentions it twice:

"All withholding taxes on the Jackpot amount will be paid by the Lottery of the state in which the prize was won."

and

"The Jackpot prize amount won will include TAX withholding to be paid on behalf of the winner." 

I report.

You decide.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: May 13, 2013, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I believe they only pay the 25% due to the fed when you validate your ticket, you are then responsible for your state, local and additional fed taxes.

Oh ok. Still nice!

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4788 Posts
                Posted: May 13, 2013, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

I checked with a couple of friends on this issue and they said it likely runs counter to IRS case law and regulations and you will have to pay taxes on anything that is paid on your behalf.  Remember if you win, regardless of what anyone tells you about paying taxes for you, you have to obligation to check with the IRS and you should get it in writing.

Richard Hatch from "Survivor" served time in prison for not paying taxes on his win and he was very likely was told by the show that they would pay the taxes (this is common on tv shows, etc). He messed up when he did not check with the IRS. The burden is on the winner. Regardless of what we all may think of the IRS, I am sure no one wants to serve time in prison.

J'aime La France.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                  Joplin MO
                  United States
                  Member #138489
                  January 28, 2013
                  190 Posts
                  Posted: May 13, 2013, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Right.

I got an email from my state lottery saying that all taxes are paid - which I assume means state taxes also.  Hope so, since mine charges another almost 8%.

But they don't normally withhold state taxes, do they?  So it's possible none of the state taxes are covered if you read it that way.  Dead

As far as state taxes ... it may depend on the state for how it does it.

In Kansas, their website says that they withhold 25% federal and 5% state ... and "The winner's ultimate tax liability may be more or less than the amounts withheld, depending on other factors".  It was like this before the game change, also.

It sounds like that is a fixed amount in KS.  If, for example, you lived in a neighboring state (as I do), you would still deal with the same ol' tax stuff like "credit for taxes paid to another state" / etc. ... and may pay more if your resident state's taxes are higher.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                    Joplin MO
                    United States
                    Member #138489
                    January 28, 2013
                    190 Posts
                    Posted: May 13, 2013, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Good question!

I would bet NH would probably not cross state lines to pay NYC taxes.

Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: May 14, 2013, 12:26 am - IP Logged

Just saw a TV ad for Idaho.  It said "taxes are paid so you get the whole jackpot."  So I still don't know what that means exactly.

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: May 14, 2013, 10:31 am - IP Logged

OK I found the ad on You Tube and it says "we pay the jackpot taxes so you keep the whole thing."  Which sounds like ALL taxes paid.  But the caption under the video says the Idaho Lottery pays the withholding tax.  I didn't see a disclaimer on the TV ad -- maybe someone needs to have a little talk with them about truth in advertising.

Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: May 14, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Just saw a TV ad for Idaho.  It said "taxes are paid so you get the whole jackpot."  So I still don't know what that means exactly.

MUSL is being very economical with the information on taxes. Its as vague as the Federal tax code that every president is sworn-in pledging to simplify it.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6290 Posts
                            Posted: May 14, 2013, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Oklahoma website states " Hit the Jackpot, Your taxes are paid.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4788 Posts
                              Posted: May 14, 2013, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

MUSL is being very economical with the information on taxes. Its as vague as the Federal tax code that every president is sworn-in pledging to simplify it.

lol

J'aime La France.