Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What to do with megamillions?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Think's avatar - lightbulb
Marquette, MI
United States
Member #20541
August 20, 2005
705 Posts
Posted: May 22, 2013, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Well, I guess with the changes they are making a statement that MegaMillions is not worth playing unless the jackpot is really really big.

I sent in suggestions awhile back to add more options to the game which would have been to have a smallaplier for prizes up to $10,000 fixing that prize at $100,000 and having the smallaplier apply to the lower prizes.

A bigaplier for the $250,000 prize fixing that at $2,500,000.

Lastly an "extra" option which, if chosen, would allow you to win an extra amount if you hit the jackpot and chose the option.  The extra option would go up with every draw until the extra was hit.

What comments and suggestions have you sent them and how did we wind up with such a chump change second prize?? (18,000,000 to 1 for  a million $...should be more for beating those odds)

Toronto
    Canada
    Member #138397
    January 26, 2013
    179 Posts
    Posted: May 22, 2013, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

You guys just don't understand... the lottery is never "worth playing". You're always getting a < 1 expected return. 

It doesn't matter if the probability is 1:1 or 1:100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 what makes a game "worth" playing is the expected

return value, not anything else. This means that saying 1:10 tickets win or whatever is misleading. It doesn't matter if 1:10 wins or 1:100 wins. 

If the expected return on a dollar is the same as it was before, the change is more or less meaningless.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: May 22, 2013, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

October is a few months away, who knows what else will be available then.  MM and PB being harder to win and more expensive to play may offer opportunities for states to make their flag ship games more attractive and keep more of their money locally.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Marquette, MI
        United States
        Member #20541
        August 20, 2005
        705 Posts
        Posted: May 22, 2013, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

October is a few months away, who knows what else will be available then.  MM and PB being harder to win and more expensive to play may offer opportunities for states to make their flag ship games more attractive and keep more of their money locally.

I hope so,  I also sent suggestions to my state to offer annuity options such as 21,26,31,36,41 year  and annuity for life payments per player choice...or, of course, cash.

Toronto
          Canada
          Member #138397
          January 26, 2013
          179 Posts
          Posted: May 22, 2013, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I hope so,  I also sent suggestions to my state to offer annuity options such as 21,26,31,36,41 year  and annuity for life payments per player choice...or, of course, cash.

I dislike this idea. They should just make it cash and that's it. Making them get so many quotes for so many annuities is unnecessary work for them. More

work = more pay = less winnings for the players. If you wanted different length annuities, find it yourself after you win

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4110 Posts
            Posted: May 22, 2013, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Do you think they are taking your suggestions seriously?

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: May 22, 2013, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Everything Ive heard so far is whining and crying. No need to take all that seriously.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #61435
                May 22, 2008
                908 Posts
                Posted: May 22, 2013, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Appears FL is definitely doing this, look at the order they display the games.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: May 22, 2013, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I don't like to see the games get harder just for the excitement of a bigger jackpot. It just doesn't excite me like it does most people I guess. I ain't gonna live forever, I'd rather experience the excitement of winning a jackpot, any size jackpot, sometime before I breathe my last..

Hell, I play Virginia's Win For Life game with odds of 1 in 5,245,786 and it seems like NOBODY ever wins the Jackpot EVER!  And it seems like very, very rarely does anybody even win the 2nd place prize of $52,000 with odds of 1 in 874,298.

They pay out a few $600 third place prizes a week and that's about it. And the odds on this game are "easy" compared to MM.

MM's odds are already in the "almost impossible" range and now they're going into the "might as well forget about it" range for me.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4110 Posts
                    Posted: May 22, 2013, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I don't like to see the games get harder just for the excitement of a bigger jackpot. It just doesn't excite me like it does most people I guess. I ain't gonna live forever, I'd rather experience the excitement of winning a jackpot, any size jackpot, sometime before I breathe my last..

Hell, I play Virginia's Win For Life game with odds of 1 in 5,245,786 and it seems like NOBODY ever wins the Jackpot EVER!  And it seems like very, very rarely does anybody even win the 2nd place prize of $52,000 with odds of 1 in 874,298.

They pay out a few $600 third place prizes a week and that's about it. And the odds on this game are "easy" compared to MM.

MM's odds are already in the "almost impossible" range and now they're going into the "might as well forget about it" range for me.

MM's odds are already in the  "almost impossible" range and now they're going into the  "might as well forget about it" range for me."

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                      Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #35086
                      March 12, 2006
                      10374 Posts
                      Posted: May 22, 2013, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!        Ridge

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                        California
                        United States
                        Member #112364
                        June 17, 2011
                        661 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2013, 1:57 am - IP Logged

They should keep the odds and the price but offer a raffle for small prize like $10,000. The winner would be randomly chosen.

Raffles would increase sales. Increased sales would increase the jackpots.

Marquette, MI
                          United States
                          Member #20541
                          August 20, 2005
                          705 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2013, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

I dislike this idea. They should just make it cash and that's it. Making them get so many quotes for so many annuities is unnecessary work for them. More

work = more pay = less winnings for the players. If you wanted different length annuities, find it yourself after you win

Well that's the way it works in Canada but here in the U.S. if you take the cash option they really sock it to you with taxes
                          so the state would have to do the annuities here.

Marquette, MI
                            United States
                            Member #20541
                            August 20, 2005
                            705 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2013, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Read the first post...this is about what YOU have suggested. 

I am just telling you what I have suggested

Marquette, MI
                              United States
                              Member #20541
                              August 20, 2005
                              705 Posts
                              Posted: May 23, 2013, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Actually that is what I have been pondering.  If the changes are really as they have been reported so far then I am going to Powerball only and nothing else except for really huge MM JPs.

The Michigan Classic 47 is RNG and for all I know they generated a printout of all the winning numbers back in 2005 when the game started and they just pull them out of a vault and read them for the specific date.

I don't see why they would need a drawing computer when a printout would do...how would we know...they have never televised a computer draw here.  I am sure GTECH would be glad to sell a printout, by date, of RNG picked numbers so the state could save money on computer equipment.

MM odds are going to be so high that I see no use in playing every draw.

So I'm going mostly PowerBall after the changes